2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Dublin will have Croke Park, but no Hill.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

There was talk of putting 2 or 3, 000 seats on the Hill.
Tom Ryan reported yesterday saying they're thinking of 30k max so you can imagine how limited attendances at other grounds will be.
Connacht and Ulster Councils probably move their Finals and maybe more to Croke Park.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 28, 2020, 07:40:47 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 27, 2020, 10:35:14 PM
The article says that McCaffrey stepping away was nothing to do with what has happened with Covid  and hinting at it being a retirement but he had just returned to the Dublin panel for the league and had played in the last game against Tyrone and would almost certainly had been available for Championship.

I'd say he's looking at the farce of this Championship and uncertainty over it and giving it a miss but will return for 2021.

He's not as big a loss for a muddy winter football football Championship as he would be on the solid turf in the summer months.

Does put a little more pressure on Farrell though.

Most if not all Dublin games will be played in croke park if it goes ahead. The weather might be an issue but there'll be no issue over the surface - it'll still be top class.

Yeah but even greas, damp conditions as such benefit other players over McCaffrey.

We've never really seen games at Croke Park around Nov/Dec time before. It's a million miles better than what the conditions would be on a provincial ground at that time but it's still different to optimum summer conditions.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

6th sam

Club games have been played in November /December for years. NFL games used to be played pre-Christmas . State of pitches likely a non-issue. What would be more of a concern is the infection risk of mass gatherings, that would have to be risk assessed closer to the time, depending on Covid status at that time

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on June 28, 2020, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 28, 2020, 07:40:47 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 27, 2020, 10:35:14 PM
The article says that McCaffrey stepping away was nothing to do with what has happened with Covid  and hinting at it being a retirement but he had just returned to the Dublin panel for the league and had played in the last game against Tyrone and would almost certainly had been available for Championship.

I'd say he's looking at the farce of this Championship and uncertainty over it and giving it a miss but will return for 2021.

He's not as big a loss for a muddy winter football football Championship as he would be on the solid turf in the summer months.

Does put a little more pressure on Farrell though.

Most if not all Dublin games will be played in croke park if it goes ahead. The weather might be an issue but there'll be no issue over the surface - it'll still be top class.

Yeah but even greas, damp conditions as such benefit other players over McCaffrey.

We've never really seen games at Croke Park around Nov/Dec time before. It's a million miles better than what the conditions would be on a provincial ground at that time but it's still different to optimum summer conditions.
The months the NFL is played in are generally the worst time for pitches as you're coming off the back of several winter months, whereas in November/December you're coming off the back of the Autumn.

We've seen games at the new Croke Park in January, February and March for well over a decade (including association football and rugby) and it doesn't make much difference to the pitch.

There have also been several International Rules, association football and rugby internationals played at Croke Park in November.

Dublin are well used to winter conditions at Croke Park, they play in them every year.

Rossfan

David Gough says he won't be doing any refereeing Club or County while Social distancing remains.

pbat

I think its time David Gough is dropped of the refereeing panel for good, its all about David Gough. Not just on this but on many other issues.

BennyCake

Quote from: pbat on June 28, 2020, 01:19:19 PM
I think its time David Gough is dropped of the refereeing panel for good, its all about David Gough. Not just on this but on many other issues.

That's your chance of your own statue fecked now!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 09:30:36 AM
There was talk of putting 2 or 3, 000 seats on the Hill.
Tom Ryan reported yesterday saying they're thinking of 30k max so you can imagine how limited attendances at other grounds will be.
Connacht and Ulster Councils probably move their Finals and maybe more to Croke Park.
It's looking like most games will be moved to Croke Park in that situation. John Horan previously said 42,000 could be the capacity come November I'd wonder why its down to 30,000 max now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote"So I don't understand how I can safely be in a confined space with 30-plus people on a football field and be socially distant. Until that changes I won't be coming back."

Every right to make his own decision but would you describe being outdoors on a GAA field as a confined area? Seems a bit of a stretch to me. Probably far more likely picking up something going to your local supermarket but maybe he's avoiding them as well. But sure best of luck to him.

Rossfan

They've probably looked at Croke Park accomodation in more detail since JH was saying that back in early May.

I expect the Ros/ Rhubarbs and the Connacht Final to be in Croker.
3 of the 4 Leinster Hurling games, all Dublin football games plus the other Leibster Semi.
Probably Cavan/Monaghan and Tyrone/Donegal and the Final.

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 02:51:03 PM
They've probably looked at Croke Park accomodation in more detail since JH was saying that back in early May.

3 of the 4 Leinster Hurling games, all Dublin football games plus the other Leibster Semi.

Firstly I cant wait to get back to going to games and having GAA back before it sounds like a moan.

I see all these bits about how many they can fit in with social distaning etc. Has it been addressed yet what happens at half time and the full time whistle when everyone leaves at the same time?

armaghniac

Quote from: tippabu on June 28, 2020, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 02:51:03 PM

Firstly I cant wait to get back to going to games and having GAA back before it sounds like a moan.

I see all these bits about how many they can fit in with social distaning etc. Has it been addressed yet what happens at half time and the full time whistle when everyone leaves at the same time?

The obvious thing is to only allow one block leave at a time over a 10-15 minute period. I would suggest tickets with seat numbers and anyone leaving their seat and rushing for the exit should not get a ticket again and not only while Covid continues.

I would have thought that attendances would have to be greatly reduced to make this work.

Captain Obvious

Pat Spillane feels the GAA should consider removing the possibility of penalties from deciding Championship games later this year and introduce a golden score.

"A fella misses a penalty, an individual has just cost his county the All-Ireland title. I think the fairer system is, yes extra-time, but then golden score, first team to score wins. Collective responsibility in victory, collective responsibility in defeat. To lose an All-Ireland final with a missed penalty? I wouldn't like to be that player heading back to the county."

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 28, 2020, 04:23:44 PM
Pat Spillane feels the GAA should consider removing the possibility of penalties from deciding Championship games later this year and introduce a golden score.

"A fella misses a penalty, an individual has just cost his county the All-Ireland title. I think the fairer system is, yes extra-time, but then golden score, first team to score wins. Collective responsibility in victory, collective responsibility in defeat. To lose an All-Ireland final with a missed penalty? I wouldn't like to be that player heading back to the county."

Sometimes Spillane is correct.