sans pessimism

Mayo team same as started against Cork
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Sam2011

squire_in_navy_slacks

hoganstand tom osullivan
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=153535

"Mayo play at a fierce high intensity and that's what we have been trying to replicate over the last couple of weeks in training so we can keep up the intensity and play at their level. If we can't match their level on Sunday, then they are going to beat us.

"Against Cork, there were three or four Mayo lads around the one Cork fella. It looked like they had five extra players. I don't know where they were all coming from.

::)

Sam2011

Apparently Galvin is on the bench with O'Leary starting but will swap with Darran.
Only change I heard of.

Sam2011

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 17, 2011, 08:34:41 PM
hoganstand tom osullivan
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=153535

"Mayo play at a fierce high intensity and that's what we have been trying to replicate over the last couple of weeks in training so we can keep up the intensity and play at their level. If we can't match their level on Sunday, then they are going to beat us.

"Against Cork, there were three or four Mayo lads around the one Cork fella. It looked like they had five extra players. I don't know where they were all coming from.

::)
:D
Kerry lads trying to talk us up!

squire_in_navy_slacks

The bet Ill be having the weekend will be good oul moran to run the legs of a snarling garda o mahony...........................mahaony to see red this weekend is my punt .......waiting on the odds ;)

Sam2011

Hope our young forwards will tell the Kerry backs ''it's no country for old men''( Darragh O'Se quote).
C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!

Kerry Mike

The Kerry Team to play Mayo in the All-Ireland Semi-Final on Sunday August 21st is as follows -
1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
2. Killian Young Renard 3. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht 4. Tom O'Sullivan Rathmore
5. Tomas Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht 6. Eoin Brosnan Dr Crokes 7. Aidan O'Mahony Rathmore
8. Anthony Maher Duagh 9. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
10. Darran O'Sullivan Glenbeigh/Glencar 11. Declan O'Sullivan Dromid Pearses 12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
13. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes 14. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks 15. Kieran O'Leary Dr Crokes
Subs - Tomas Mac a'tSaoir, An Ghaeltacht; Shane Enright, Tarbert; Paul Galvin, Finuge; Daniel Bohane, Austin Stacks; James O'Donoghue, Legion; Seamus Scanlon, Currow; Barry John Keane, Kerins O'Rahillys; Padraig Reidy, Scartaglin; Tommy Griffin, Dingle; Johnny Buckley, Dr Crokes; Peter Crowley, Laune Rangers; Brian McGuire, Listowel Emmets; Daithí Geaney, Dingle; Niall O'Mahony, Spa; Adrian O'Connell, St Michaels/Foilmore; Daithí Casey, Dr Crokes.

Bainisteóir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
Physical Coach: Alan O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahillys)
Coach: Donie Buckley (Castleisland Desmonds)
Roghnóirí: Ger O'Keeffe (Austin Stacks) & Diarmuid Murphy (Daingean
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

Great to see Tommy Griffin back in the Green N Gold (and blue). Has had a tough year with injuries. Happy with that team . Galvin was struggling all week but a great asset to throw on if we need him.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

Kinda liked this piece from the Mayo News. John Casey was a top player but crippled by injury and gone by 23 or so. We never saw the best of him. But he was brilliant in 96, up to the final, and I m not convinced full forward was his best position. He was a ball of energy.

Home  SPORT  Sport  Mayo v Kerry: their finest hour?
Mayo v Kerry: their finest hour?
Tuesday, 16 August 2011 06:20

Their finest hour?

Mayo's win over Kerry in 1996 changed everything, says John Casey

Feature
Daniel Carey

WHEN James Horan lobbed Kerry goalkeeper Declan O'Keeffe in the 1996 All-Ireland semi-final, those watching on television missed it – and so did John Casey. Horan's audacious effort – "one of the truly great goals seen at GAA headquarters", according to Pádraig Burns – happened too quickly for the TV cameras to capture properly. Casey's excuse is more mundane.
"I was just roaring at him: 'don't shoot'!" the Charlestown man recalled with a laugh last week. "I could see him looking at O'Keeffe ... and I was saying 'Don't, don't!' I had slipped off my man for a short dinky pass in in front of goal, and next thing I see the ball flying over my head. I don't think I saw it hitting the net either cause I was bawling him out of it!"
Horan's goal killed off Kerry, and set the seal on what Kevin McStay called "one of the best, if not the best" Mayo display "in 20 years". It was the second great Mayo goal of the day, coming in the wake of a James Nallen special in the first half. Goalkeeper John Madden looked at the replay on the big screen and was caught unawares by Seán Burke's long-range effort, but Mayo lived to tell the tale. Maurice Sheridan weighed in with six points, while Kenneth Mortimer didn't give Dara Ó Cinnéide a sniff. Casey had a huge game too, following up his goal against Galway with four points from play against the Kingdom, and was named man of the match in The Mayo News.
"We felt we were as good as anybody," he reflected in conversation last Thursday, 15 years to the day since that win. "Maybe I was young and naïve, but I remember at the time going up with absolutely no fear. There was not even a mention of getting beaten. We were delighted, obviously, after beating Kerry in an All-Ireland semi-final, but it came as no great surprise to us as players."
The victory was Mayo's first in championship against Munster or Leinster opposition since 1951, and came after an "extraordinary" performance. "Nobody was ever going to intimidate us," says Casey. "We had a big, powerful team. At 6'1", I would have been one of the smaller individuals on it. And everybody played their heart out."
London scare "a good omen"?
IT was all a long way from the dark days of winter, when Mayo found themselves in Division 3. They scraped past Wexford, Monaghan and Antrim, but kept winning, and reached a National Football League semi-final. John Maughan's creed – "We'll be whipping boys for nobody" – was "instilled in our brains", Casey remembers. Mayo were "damn lucky" to get out of London with a victory, something he told James Horan "could be a good omen" for 2011. Maughan ran them like greyhounds in Westmanstown the morning after that game in Ruislip.
"I remember  [Anthony] 'Larry' Finnerty was down on his hands and knees, nearly puking," says Casey, "and Maughan down pinned over him, saying 'Get up Larry. You haven't got the f***in' heart, Larry, have you?' And 'Larry' turned around, out of breath, and said [panting]: 'I have the f***in' heart, John, I just don't have the lungs!' We nearly wet ourselves laughing!"
Having worked miracles with Clare in 1992, Maughan was "the person everyone wanted" for the Mayo job, Casey recalls. "He intimidated fellas into getting better. Was I afraid of him? Yes, I was. If he said 'jump', I used to ask 'how high?' That's the way it was [and] I don't mean that in a bad way. "
Casey had limped on as a sub against Roscommon having ruptured his Achilles "trying to take Maurice Sheridan out" in a club game, he says with characteristic bluntness. He "wasn't right for three or four months after" and actually tried to pack in football, "but the boys told me to 'cop on'."
"Mental" hype, and a virus
JUST 33,165 people paid into Croke Park for that All-Ireland semi-final – Mayo's first appearance at HQ since the 20-point drubbing by Cork in 1993. There were no songs or green and red trees, sheep, cars or road markings yet. Then, all changed, changed utterly. Mayo won and all hell broke loose.
Casey had just had, perhaps, his finest hour in a Mayo jersey. Still a student, he had spent the summer in Mayo GAA summer camps. What was it like for him, a 21-year-old, to suddenly be the focus of media attention and multiple well-wishers?
"Mental," Casey replies. "It probably got to me ... There's no point making excuses 15 years on.  I failed to play in an All-Ireland final in '96 ... Did the hype get to me? At the time, I thought 'no', but maybe it did. I got an awful virus too. I lost a stone and a half [in] weight between the semi-final and final and wasn't able to train for three weeks."
Being in the national spotlight was "nearly unbearable", he remembers, referencing one day when "four [people] from RTÉ and three [print] journalists" descended on Charlestown. Living above the family hardware shop, he had a constant stream of people coming in for pictures and looking to have jerseys signed. He was getting cheques in the post, made payable to Mayo GAA, from people who "just wanted to hand money over to the cause". After the final pre-final training session, he eventually "had to go up to Letterkenny" to get away from the "pandemonium".
"A friend of mine came home for the All-Ireland from New York," Casey remembers, "and he said: 'Your jersey went to a good cause'. I said: 'What do you mean by that?' He said: 'Some guy in New York is after buying your jersey from the Kerry match for $2,000 at a charity auction' I said: 'Did he? That's unbelievable! Because that jersey is below in my drawer!'
"No fear" in current crop
WHEN Casey met James Horan at the recent Charlestown-Aghamore match, he told his former team-mate: "I didn't give ye a prayer against Cork". The result left him "in shock" after what the Rebels had done to Down. Now he thinks "the current crop are in a similar position to ourselves".
"Complacency is the root of all evil," he adds. "If it starts in your head, you cannot get rid of it. It takes an overnight job, another training session, to get rid of complacency. Complacency will not go on you in the middle of a game. No matter what Conor Counihan would say to his team at half time, if it's in the belly, it's awful hard to get rid of it. That's what happened to Cork, and Mayo played on it and devoured them, and I was delighted."
Could the same thing happen again next Sunday? Casey thinks Kerry "have been forewarned" now but adds: "Mayo will go in again with no fear ... My heart says one thing, my head says another. But I said that for the Cork game too!"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: moysider on August 17, 2011, 10:28:14 PM

Kinda liked this piece from the Mayo News. John Casey was a top player but crippled by injury and gone by 23 or so. We never saw the best of him. But he was brilliant in 96, up to the final, and I m not convinced full forward was his best position. He was a ball of energy.

Their finest hour?

Feature
Daniel Carey

WHEN James Horan lobbed Kerry goalkeeper Declan O'Keeffe in the 1996 All-Ireland semi-final, those watching on television missed it – and so did John Casey. Horan's audacious effort – "one of the truly great goals seen at GAA headquarters", according to Pádraig Burns – happened too quickly for the TV cameras to capture properly. Casey's excuse is more mundane.
"I was just roaring at him: 'don't shoot'!" the Charlestown man recalled with a laugh last week. "I could see him looking at O'Keeffe ... and I was saying 'Don't, don't!' I had slipped off my man for a short dinky pass in in front of goal, and next thing I see the ball flying over my head. I don't think I saw it hitting the net either cause I was bawling him out of it!"
Horan's goal killed off Kerry, and set the seal on what Kevin McStay called "one of the best, if not the best" Mayo display "in 20 years". It was the second great Mayo goal of the day, coming in the wake of a James Nallen special in the first half. Goalkeeper John Madden looked at the replay on the big screen and was caught unawares by Seán Burke's long-range effort, but Mayo lived to tell the tale. Maurice Sheridan weighed in with six points, while Kenneth Mortimer didn't give Dara Ó Cinnéide a sniff. Casey had a huge game too, following up his goal against Galway with four points from play against the Kingdom, and was named man of the match in The Mayo News.
"We felt we were as good as anybody," he reflected in conversation last Thursday, 15 years to the day since that win. "Maybe I was young and naïve, but I remember at the time going up with absolutely no fear. There was not even a mention of getting beaten. We were delighted, obviously, after beating Kerry in an All-Ireland semi-final, but it came as no great surprise to us as players."
The victory was Mayo's first in championship against Munster or Leinster opposition since 1951, and came after an "extraordinary" performance. "Nobody was ever going to intimidate us," says Casey. "We had a big, powerful team. At 6'1", I would have been one of the smaller individuals on it. And everybody played their heart out."
IT was all a long way from the dark days of winter, when Mayo found themselves in Division 3. They scraped past Wexford, Monaghan and Antrim, but kept winning, and reached a National Football League semi-final. John Maughan's creed – "We'll be whipping boys for nobody" – was "instilled in our brains", Casey remembers. Mayo were "damn lucky" to get out of London with a victory, something he told James Horan "could be a good omen" for 2011. Maughan ran them like greyhounds in Westmanstown the morning after that game in Ruislip.
"I remember  [Anthony] 'Larry' Finnerty was down on his hands and knees, nearly puking," says Casey, "and Maughan down pinned over him, saying 'Get up Larry. You haven't got the f***in' heart, Larry, have you?' And 'Larry' turned around, out of breath, and said [panting]: 'I have the f***in' heart, John, I just don't have the lungs!' We nearly wet ourselves laughing!"
Having worked miracles with Clare in 1992, Maughan was "the person everyone wanted" for the Mayo job, Casey recalls. "He intimidated fellas into getting better. Was I afraid of him? Yes, I was. If he said 'jump', I used to ask 'how high?' That's the way it was [and] I don't mean that in a bad way. "
Casey had limped on as a sub against Roscommon having ruptured his Achilles "trying to take Maurice Sheridan out" in a club game, he says with characteristic bluntness. He "wasn't right for three or four months after" and actually tried to pack in football, "but the boys told me to 'cop on'."
JUST 33,165 people paid into Croke Park for that All-Ireland semi-final – Mayo's first appearance at HQ since the 20-point drubbing by Cork in 1993. There were no songs or green and red trees, sheep, cars or road markings yet. Then, all changed, changed utterly. Mayo won and all hell broke loose.
Casey had just had, perhaps, his finest hour in a Mayo jersey. Still a student, he had spent the summer in Mayo GAA summer camps. What was it like for him, a 21-year-old, to suddenly be the focus of media attention and multiple well-wishers?
"Mental," Casey replies. "It probably got to me ... There's no point making excuses 15 years on.  I failed to play in an All-Ireland final in '96 ... Did the hype get to me? At the time, I thought 'no', but maybe it did. I got an awful virus too. I lost a stone and a half [in] weight between the semi-final and final and wasn't able to train for three weeks."
Being in the national spotlight was "nearly unbearable", he remembers, referencing one day when "four [people] from RTÉ and three [print] journalists" descended on Charlestown. Living above the family hardware shop, he had a constant stream of people coming in for pictures and looking to have jerseys signed. He was getting cheques in the post, made payable to Mayo GAA, from people who "just wanted to hand money over to the cause". After the final pre-final training session, he eventually "had to go up to Letterkenny" to get away from the "pandemonium".
"A friend of mine came home for the All-Ireland from New York," Casey remembers, "and he said: 'Your jersey went to a good cause'. I said: 'What do you mean by that?' He said: 'Some guy in New York is after buying your jersey from the Kerry match for $2,000 at a charity auction' I said: 'Did he? That's unbelievable! Because that jersey is below in my drawer!'
WHEN Casey met James Horan at the recent Charlestown-Aghamore match, he told his former team-mate: "I didn't give ye a prayer against Cork". The result left him "in shock" after what the Rebels had done to Down. Now he thinks "the current crop are in a similar position to ourselves".
"Complacency is the root of all evil," he adds. "If it starts in your head, you cannot get rid of it. It takes an overnight job, another training session, to get rid of complacency. Complacency will not go on you in the middle of a game. No matter what Conor Counihan would say to his team at half time, if it's in the belly, it's awful hard to get rid of it. That's what happened to Cork, and Mayo played on it and devoured them, and I was delighted."
Could the same thing happen again next Sunday? Casey thinks Kerry "have been forewarned" now but adds: "Mayo will go in again with no fear ... My heart says one thing, my head says another. But I said that for the Cork game too!"

Was laughing my hole off at that earlier.  :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 17, 2011, 10:30:41 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 17, 2011, 10:28:14 PM

Their finest hour?

Feature
Daniel Carey

Was laughing my hole off at that earlier.  :D

Yeah. A good christian tradition! Just like the old relics. There used to be more bones about, supposedly belonging to a single saint, than a butcher's dog could wag a tail at in a lifetime. God only knows how many jerseys 'worn' by Willie Joe and others were auctioned off down the years. But sure it was all for a good cause I m sure.

RedandGreenSniper

Good piece that, with Casey. I remember him recounting before that in the midst of the All-Ireland hype in 1996 with all sorts of press corps arriving in Charlestown, into his shop arrives a crew from feckin' Eurosport! How could that not affect you? Casey has been hard done by by history. He was something else in 1996 but then injury kicked in.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Sam2011

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2011, 12:44:07 AM
Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.
Say what?????? :o

HUP THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!