Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Well after watching a few of the games the last few years it doesn't take a genius to work out what the problem is, there's a player shooting from all angles who forgets its a team sport.

shark

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 12, 2018, 12:18:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2018, 11:06:29 AM
That's what I'm hearing too. The dynamic duo didn't get their way the rest of their clubmates followed, followed by a few more.
Which duo? Cora and?

McHale I presume. It all seems rather petty. It's not as if they have a joker calling the shots. His track record is really good, he was involved as a selector/coach last year, and they had an excellent league campaign.

joemamas

Quote from: shark on July 12, 2018, 01:56:28 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 12, 2018, 12:18:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2018, 11:06:29 AM
That's what I'm hearing too. The dynamic duo didn't get their way the rest of their clubmates followed, followed by a few more.
Which duo? Cora and?

McHale I presume. It all seems rather petty. It's not as if they have a joker calling the shots. His track record is really good, he was involved as a selector/coach last year, and they had an excellent league campaign.

It does appear to be a bit bogus, especially with half the panel staying put.
You would think that folks (players) making these nuclear decisions, would at least have thought about the end game.

thebackbar1

also i presume some of the panel are under 18 ? it seems like awful crap to expose young players to.

Itchy

It was confirmed to me by a man in the know that coach told Cora she was an impact sub. Cora didn't like that and threw a hissy fit. Brought up a pile of stuff about welfare and walked with half the panel.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on July 12, 2018, 06:36:44 PM
It was confirmed to me by a man in the know that coach told Cora she was an impact sub. Cora didn't like that and threw a hissy fit. Brought up a pile of stuff about welfare and walked with half the panel.

If ye can't win this one it's going to be embarrassing.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on July 12, 2018, 07:31:23 PM

How are the roscommon ladies getting on syphilis or are there any ladies there

Laoiseabu

Let's all reveal our true identities people . First and second name please ?

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on July 12, 2018, 07:41:46 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 12, 2018, 07:31:23 PM

How are the roscommon ladies getting on syphilis or are there any ladies there

Stellar performance winning the Connacht final there a few weeks ago.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 22, 2018, 08:35:34 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 22, 2018, 07:36:29 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0822/986824-carnacon/

More than likely to do with the walkout.

Did you read the article Farr?

That's some reprisal by the county board, misdeeds at IC affecting a club is a very strange move.

Jinxy

Have to say this is all very strange.
The idea that you can throw a club out of the championship because some of their players decide they don't want to play for the county team anymore is unprecedented in the GAA, to my knowledge anyway.
What's behind all this?
Seems like there may have been axes to grind with Carnacon going by the 26-2 vote in favour of turfing them out.
Are they disliked within the county?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Since the year 2000. Carnacon have won every Senior Mayo County Senior Ladies title. The Mayo County Championship is destroyed by Carnacon. It's a procession of hammerings every year. A few decent Clubs have tried to reach the mark, but have fell well short. Many have faded away with the humiliation. It's a procession. Because ladies football is exclusive (not parish based) they attract good players from outside the parish as there is the lure of titles that can be won. And they have Cora - a monster of a player at club level.

To say they they are despised in (ladies football in) Mayo is an understatement. So this delegate meeting was probably seen as an opportunity to open up the Mayo Championship this year while putting manners on Carnacon.

This Row has been all about the unsaid. We have been all left guessing. From my point of view, Cora has stayed in the senior set-up to long. She has destroyed the confidence of 3 to 4 girls playing in the forwards the last couple of years. Players who blossomed during her absence during the league and the Championship. Just look at the before and after stats for these players. Her mé féin attitude, even after defeat in last years final is hard to stomach.

If this row was about conditions and player welfare. Why did only a third of the panel protest? I mean you'd expect if the reasons are solid the whole team/squad would have stood together? Why were these reasons not made known? Why hide them if you are protesting about them?

So we are left with the reigning Mayo, Connacht and All Ireland Ladies Club Champions out of all three competitions without kicking a ball. This is not over yet and will get nasty.