Karl Lacey Retires.

Started by Captain Obvious, August 31, 2017, 10:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

In a statement on the Official Donegal website, the four-time All-Star said:

"Having allowed some dust to settle on our season, I now feel ready to announce my retirement from the Donegal senior football team.

I have experienced almost everything with the Donegal footballers over these past 14 seasons and more, from desperate defeats to the crowning glory winning the Sam Maguire in 2012 and everything in between.

They are games and days and friendships that will live with me forever.

I am thankful for the opportunities given to me over the course of my career, and grateful to the players who played alongside me and the coaches who guided me throughout it.

With them, I was able to win League, Ulster, All-Ireland and individual honours, and for that I very thankful. In addition to my time with Donegal, I was honoured to be selected for my country and play in the 2006 and 2011 International Rules series.

Now, I embark on a different phase of my life – that of a former county footballer.

I will continue to play with Four Masters, with whom I first kicked a ball and with whom I will kick my last.

I am enjoying increased responsibility in my job at LYIT and I have enjoyed dipping my toe into coaching in recent times, most recently with the Donegal development squads.

I am soon to be married to my fiancee Ciara. Our son Noah has been a light in both our lives. They have made many sacrifices so that I could continue to pursue my inter county career and I am eternally grateful to them for that."

Syferus

Great player and along with McHugh and Murphy he's part of the triad of players that carried Donegal to that 2012 All-Ireland. With how he was used this season this seemed inevitable.

rrhf

One of the top Gaelic footballers of his era. Superb career!

J70

Among the top three or four Donegal players of all time. There wasn't a better man-marking corner back around for the first five or six years of his career, and he transitioned into a top class playmaker from centre back under McGuinness. Injuries have taken their toll over the past few years, but he'll be missed. True legend.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Totally top-drawer defender, and no little source of torment to opposition teams when injury didn't intrude. A retirement very well earned, maith thú, Karl Lacey.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mrhardyannual

omaghjoe

Great footballer tho his year round tan was extremely suspicious. Hard to believe he's been at it for 14years

JoG2

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 01, 2017, 06:13:14 AM
Great footballer tho his year round tan was extremely suspicious. Hard to believe he's been at it for 14years

that's wind burn from out the Mountcharles Rd ! Superb footballer who gave some service to Donegal

longballin

The Gerry McInerney of Gaelic football... class act

WT4E

Baller

Would make the best all ireland team of the last 10 years.

lenny

Quote from: WT4E on September 01, 2017, 10:53:38 AM
Baller

There's a few really good players who've retired this year but he's definitely the best of them. Class act and no aul playacting.

J70

I see Paddy Bradley tweeting that Lacey was the best defender he'd ever faced.

Praise indeed.

Syferus

Quote from: lenny on September 01, 2017, 10:58:09 AM
Quote from: WT4E on September 01, 2017, 10:53:38 AM
Baller

There's a few really good players who've retired this year but he's definitely the best of them. Class act and no aul playacting.

Gooch retired this year.. probably the best pure footballer I have ever seen.

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2017, 11:49:57 PM
Among the top three or four Donegal players of all time. There wasn't a better man-marking corner back around for the first five or six years of his career, and he transitioned into a top class playmaker from centre back under McGuinness. Injuries have taken their toll over the past few years, but he'll be missed. True legend.

Absolutely. He was a great corner back just as that skill was dying out and as you say moved seamlessly to 6 where he was exceptional. His reading of the game was as good as anyone.

seafoid

It was a worthy all ireland medal and will keep him in dinners in new York and Chicago for years. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU