County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Bernard Flynn not happy social media announced who the new Meath manager was the other day.

He was in for it also - had an impressive team behind him also.

I wonder, as it's a 'job' as such, can a candidate go back to the panel and say why did X get it over me or what else would have got me the gig?

Or can they appeal the decision?

Maroon Manc

Who are the front runners in Donegal?

ck

Just read earlier that 14 inter county managers have stood down in the last 5 weeks. That in itself is shocking and I don't ever remember so many vacancies.

Armamike

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 26, 2022, 02:13:40 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2022, 01:42:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 26, 2022, 12:09:34 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 26, 2022, 11:56:04 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2022, 10:33:14 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 26, 2022, 10:24:17 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on July 26, 2022, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 25, 2022, 09:46:04 PM
Wee James no surprise, the only surprise is that he left it so long. Down are at a low ebb but it's probably a good time to take that job as they can't sink much lower but they need to begin to try and heal the club rifts which will be difficult. Maybe an outside man like Banty alongside Laverty and Poacher.

What club rifts?

Kilcoo and Burren, I'm only looking at it from the outside but I get the impression that there isn't much love between Kilcoo in general and the county set up.
Generally, a dominant club is not good for the county team.

didnt do us any harm when cross were dominant

Many would argue it did, and this became particularly evident once the AI winning team began to break up around 2006. Senior club football was uncompetitive and uninteresting for years, and the overall standard dropped markedly compared with previously decades. We're maybe only beginning to see a recovery in the last two or three years - 25 years on from the birth of the monster.
All Irelands need high skill levels. Regular hammerings are bad for skills development . The best club team will never get the full 15 on the county team or be better in every single position. A spread of clubs tends to be better.
Armagh only won the one all Ireland while Cross were vacuuming up county titles.

And zero All Irelands when they werent

True!  There's different ways to look at the Cross dominance aspect but at the end of the day in the late 90s and early 2000s they supplied 4 or 5 key players who were central to the county team with a few more as panel members.  So their contribution to the county effort at that time was huge.
That's just, like your opinion man.

naka

Quote from: ck on July 27, 2022, 09:42:08 PM
Just read earlier that 14 inter county managers have stood down in the last 5 weeks. That in itself is shocking and I don't ever remember so many vacancies.
It's understandable as two many keyboard warriors with unrealistic views.
Fair play to anyone who steps up to take the jobs.

yellowcard

You would think that if Jimmy McGuinness doesn't go back into Donegal now that he will not be returning to county management in the near future.

The position is vacant at a time when he has no full time coaching position and they have a bunch of players who have underachieved in the last few years. They probably lack a bit of leadership on and off the field especially now that Murphy is a fading force. On the other hand if he goes back to GAA he would probably be perceived as a failure as a soccer coach and he may question why he spent 8 years getting ready to go into soccer management only to turn his back on it without any success. Its strange that a LOI team wouldn't take a punt on him given his track record in management.

Although McGuinness was an ultra defensive coach and entirely changed the way gaelic football was played, I think he is also a pragmatic manager and would simply play the best type of football that could get him success. In whatever form that takes.   

mrdeeds

Quote from: yellowcard on July 28, 2022, 10:26:18 AM
You would think that if Jimmy McGuinness doesn't go back into Donegal now that he will not be returning to county management in the near future.

The position is vacant at a time when he has no full time coaching position and they have a bunch of players who have underachieved in the last few years. They probably lack a bit of leadership on and off the field especially now that Murphy is a fading force. On the other hand if he goes back to GAA he would probably be perceived as a failure as a soccer coach and he may question why he spent 8 years getting ready to go into soccer management only to turn his back on it without any success. Its strange that a LOI team wouldn't take a punt on him given his track record in management.

Although McGuinness was an ultra defensive coach and entirely changed the way gaelic football was played, I think he is also a pragmatic manager and would simply play the best type of football that could get him success. In whatever form that takes.

Is he not coaching Derry City youths?

twohands!!!

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 28, 2022, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 28, 2022, 10:26:18 AM

Is he not coaching Derry City youths?

I think he was third coach to their U21 team (assistant to the assistant coach) which is well down the pecking order.

It's not a bit surprising that his soccer career hasn't gone anywhere - In his only stint as a manager Charlotte won 1 game of the 14 he was in charge for and then after he left they won 8 from 20 in the remaining games and the season before he was there had won 10 from 34. There isn't any way to spin those numbers as anything positive.

twohands!!!

Quote from: naka on July 28, 2022, 09:00:59 AM
Quote from: ck on July 27, 2022, 09:42:08 PM
It's understandable as two many keyboard warriors with unrealistic views.
Fair play to anyone who steps up to take the jobs.

I would say a part of this is COVID related - a fair few managers stayed on during the COVID seasons so there was a back of a backlog in terms of turnover.

skeog

Wouldnt say banking at least a couple of million bucks for his China and American journeys was a failure for Jim.

Rossfan

McStay with Rochford, McHale and Donie Buckley assisting has put in for Mayowestros role :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2022, 09:35:01 PM
McStay with Rochford, McHale and Donie Buckley assisting has put in for Mayowestros role :o
Interesting developments. McStay not retired from county management afterall.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2022, 09:35:01 PM
He was very brĂ³nach about inter County management when he finished with Ros. This MGHU news is a surprise.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Far to many big personalities, end up falling out like they did in Roscommon. Who will McStay throw under the bus after a year or 2 of inevitable failure.

johnnycool

Quote from: Helix. on July 26, 2022, 04:44:51 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2022, 04:44:06 PM
I wonder did he go or was he pushed? I dunno if Offaly would be living up to expectations.

Say the latter. 3 year term up, Offaly County Board chose not to renew it.

He didn't set the world alight in Offaly to be fair. Hard to see him being part of the incoming Kilkenny set up.

Offaly might just promote Leo O'Connor (Limerick) up from their minors now.

Hurling wise there's still a good few high profile posts to be filled, Waterford, Dublin, Kilkenny and who knows there might still be some moving about from county to county yet although Henry is expected to stay with the tribesmen, but would Kilkenny come calling it would be hard for him to refuse and they might not offer it again.

Tipp were pretty ruthless but got their man, Cork were quick to act as well.

Wee Davy will be looking another big gig.