Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Fair play to NI they did really well.

I think Shaftesbury square has been taken over by the GAWA doing the bouncy and asking if James McClean is watching. Not exactly progressive!!!

bennydorano

Strange in today's society that there is still such a stigma in a Nationalist supporting NI. GSTQ is the last real barrier imo, it's the IFA's 'no security forces allowed to play GAA' issue -for want of a better analogy. It mightn't make a big pile of difference, bums on seats wise, but it'll help alter a long held perception in the Nationalist community.

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on October 08, 2015, 11:41:42 PM
Strange in today's society that there is still such a stigma in a Nationalist supporting NI. GSTQ is the last real barrier imo, it's the IFA's 'no security forces allowed to play GAA' issue -for want of a better analogy. It mightn't make a big pile of difference, bums on seats wise, but it'll help alter a long held perception in the Nationalist community.

They won't change it though and I think they have that bastardised England/Ulster flag as well. There's a big discussion on the GAA thread about the GAA not pandering to unionists you can apply much the same argument here!!

give her dixie

After the shite we are going through with the wasters up in Stormont, it's nice to see a bit of good news for a change........
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

stew

I seen the fans at Soldier field and they were brilliant craic, took a dump when GSTQ was being played so no problem there, the game was ket but the fans were brilliant altogether, I only heard one idiot mentioning fenian's and he was told to feck up!

I also met owc's wee Marty that day, he could hardly stand up he was that pissed but he was smiling away and enjoyed himself!

McLean played for the north at every age group and then, after they spent all that money on developing him he facks away off the the Republic, I can see why they are annoyed at him.

One last thing, the manager is going to be a premier league manager one day, Celtic should nab him when they let Ronnie go.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Main Street

Quote from: stew on October 09, 2015, 01:16:32 AM
I seen the fans at Soldier field and they were brilliant craic, took a dump when GSTQ was being played so no problem there, the game was ket but the fans were brilliant altogether, I only heard one idiot mentioning fenian's and he was told to feck up!

I also met owc's wee Marty that day, he could hardly stand up he was that pissed but he was smiling away and enjoyed himself!

McLean played for the north at every age group and then, after they spent all that money on developing him he facks away off the the Republic, I can see why they are annoyed at him.

One last thing, the manager is going to be a premier league manager one day, Celtic should nab him when they let Ronnie go.
McClean, seeing as he is born inside the 6 counties, was totally entitled to experience his share of what's going around re football coaching. Seeing as NI born are dual nationals, they are entitled to choose the national team of their identity. If  the IFA choose to segregate footballers access to their extra coaching, a week or so here and there,  then so be it. A selection process based on what criteria I wonder? In that case, then the FAI can set up academy in 3 or 4 locations in the 6 counties  to accommodate footballers of nationalist identity, rather than nordies moaning about a waste of taxpayer's money  coaching footballers of Irish identity.
The mono identity that the IFA represent is the unionist identity but with open arms for nationalists to come in and participate. That mono unionist identity of course does not have respect for 6 county born nationalists who identify with the FAI team.
I wonder  how many of ye nationalist nordies have actually renounced your british citizenship?

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2015, 10:31:42 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 08, 2015, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2015, 09:45:23 PM
Congrats to Orior and all the Nordie posters on here.

You need to change the bait, boyo!
Only when I stop getting bites  ;)
I am delighted for gawa316 though in fairness. Sound chap and he'll be delighted right now.

Ah shucks that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!!

Delighted is an understatement. Hadn't planned to head home for a bit but I now know what my tax return will be going on!!

dec

Quote from: gawa316 on October 09, 2015, 02:41:27 AM
Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2015, 10:31:42 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 08, 2015, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2015, 09:45:23 PM
Congrats to Orior and all the Nordie posters on here.

You need to change the bait, boyo!
Only when I stop getting bites  ;)
I am delighted for gawa316 though in fairness. Sound chap and he'll be delighted right now.

Ah shucks that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!!

Delighted is an understatement. Hadn't planned to head home for a bit but I now know what my tax return will be going on!!

How have you managed to calm down/sober up enough to type that?

gawa316

The game was on at 11.45am over here and I had to work!

Took a lonnnnggggg lunch but still had to go back

theskull1

Quote from: michaelg on October 08, 2015, 11:34:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 08, 2015, 11:26:57 PM
It'll be another generation before any significant numbers from a nationalist background support NI. Even then it is unlikely to be children from working class areas. I wouldn't let my wains anywhere near the place and I say that as someone married to a prod.
By the way, I'm pretty sure plent of kids from working class areas used to attend Ireland / Northern Ireland games in the past. The  Sash / Billy Boys shite only started as far as I'm aware when there was civil strife on the streets of Belfast / NI.

Considering the way nationalists were governed in this part of the world (prior to all the 'strife that came about), I'd be surprised if that was a truth. I'd say to ensure distance was kept, the 'keep it a cold house for them' attitude went all the way back. 

By the way ... well done...fantastic achievement for such a wee country like ours  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Quote from: michaelg on October 08, 2015, 11:23:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 08, 2015, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 08, 2015, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 08, 2015, 11:04:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 08, 2015, 09:53:20 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on October 08, 2015, 09:50:05 PM
Well done indeed. Scored a lot of goals and they did the business. Local lad McGinn played his part and i'm proud of him.

I remember 82 and 86 and the buzz was great, even if I was a lad.......

Listening to the radio for the game, and the fans are fair belting out Sweet Caroline and The road to Amarillo.........
No Sash or Billy Boys?
Kind of seems that this is what you would like to hear.
You lot are sticklers for tradition so it would a shame for youse to shun your past now.

Ah now, that's a shit argument. And it doesn't reflect well on progressive nationalism. If you provide proof those sectarian songs exist in 2015 @ Windsor Park then you're correct .

If not, it comes across a bit plastic and tired.
Fair play.  Good point, well made.  No sectarianism at WP these days.  Once we sack off GSTQ, or at the very least sing another anthem alongside it like the rugby, hopefully we will attract more nationalist fans.  I think today's team had 9 out of 11 born in NI, so be good if everyone could get behinf local lads doing well.

Well done NI, fair play to them. Congrats to you michaelg, and the other norn iron fans on here. I remember previous discussions on here where people of a certain age, ahem, remember cheering on NI in Spain and Mexico, when we didn't qualify. This tournament will bring back a few of those memories, so well done and enjoy the tournament.

Billys Boots

Well done NI, great campaign and a good little side that no-one will be looking forward to facing. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Holly, aged 8, from Kent, is all grown up and working for the Guardian:

Well done, NI. A fantastic achievement. Delighted for the many good lads who have come on here over the years.

ashman

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 09, 2015, 09:22:26 AM
Well done NI, great campaign and a good little side that no-one will be looking forward to facing.

Yes and yes but tbh everyone will want to get them and Iceland .  Be honest .  And ROI too.

gallsman

Quote from: ashman on October 09, 2015, 09:38:30 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 09, 2015, 09:22:26 AM

Yes and yes but tbh everyone will want to get them and Iceland .  Be honest .  And ROI too.

Iceland's results are no fluke. They've invested a lot into the game over the last few years and have steadily improved the last couple of qualification campaigns. They'll not be easy for anyone.