Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Last NI game I was at (with free tickets of course) O'Neill scored two goals in a 5-2 defeat of Austria and he was partnered in midfield by Crewe Alexandra's Neil Lennon!

bannside

Michael was an extraordinary talent. At 20 years of age he was playing alongside Gascoigne in midfield for Newcastle Utd. In his first season he won as many if not more of the many annual supporters clubs POTY awards. Gascoigne was a hateful towards him though, calling him a wee ira b**tard and always trying to put Mickey down. Wouldn't talk to him even.

Michaels best moment was during a vital qualifying match in Dublin. The South needed a point against the North to qualify for Italia 2000. There was little between the teams but the commentator on RTE pointed Michael O Neill out as the outstanding player on the pitch.
He practically ran the show for the North.

Shortly after that he took a severe for of glandular fever and plugged away but it really left it's mark on his career after that. If it hadn't have been for the glandular fever he could have been a superstar. Great to see an upturn in his management fortune.

T Fearon

The North and South were not in the same group for Euro 2000 qualifiers.

lynchbhoy

Michael Oneill was a good player alright and I had heard from other lads who played along with him as well as bannside that he was a good Gaelic footballer!
He seems to be a slightly lesser version of the great Martin Oneill in all facets of sport and management! But good to see them both doing well.

As for the six county soccer team
I think they could have a bit of a money spinner for themselves - organise a tournament against all the other non countries like Gibraltar San Marino etc next summer to occupy their time while the rest of us are off at the euro championships !!

bannside

World Cup Qualifiers Tony. Sure the Republic got to the quarter finals losing to Italy ( the winners) 1- 0 in Rome. Scillachi  the goalscorer.

fearsiuil

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2014, 09:07:21 AM
Michael was an extraordinary talent. At 20 years of age he was playing alongside Gascoigne in midfield for Newcastle Utd. In his first season he won as many if not more of the many annual supporters clubs POTY awards. Gascoigne was a hateful towards him though, calling him a wee ira b**tard and always trying to put Mickey down. Wouldn't talk to him even.

Michaels best moment was during a vital qualifying match in Dublin. The South needed a point against the North to qualify for Italia 2000. There was little between the teams but the commentator on RTE pointed Michael O Neill out as the outstanding player on the pitch.
He practically ran the show for the North.

Shortly after that he took a severe for of glandular fever and plugged away but it really left it's mark on his career after that. If it hadn't have been for the glandular fever he could have been a superstar. Great to see an upturn in his management fortune.

That accent he has, is that a Ballymena twang or a mixed bag he picked up on his travels.

laoislad

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2014, 09:07:21 AM
The South needed a point against the North to qualify for Italia 2000.
WTF ?
I think you mean USA'94
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 18, 2014, 11:21:26 AM
Michael Oneill was a good player alright and I had heard from other lads who played along with him as well as bannside that he was a good Gaelic footballer!
He seems to be a slightly lesser version of the great Martin Oneill in all facets of sport and management! But good to see them both doing well.

I think they could have a bit of a money spinner for themselves - organise a tournament against all the other non countries like Gibraltar San Marino etc next summer to occupy their time while the rest of us are off at the euro championships !!

You seem confused about what country you are from ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Laoislad you are right. It was Oct 1989 at Landsdowne Rd. The follow up to the "night in November". The world cup was Italia 90 - not Italia 2000. (I missed a decade somewhere). ROI won 3 -0 to qualify but Michael O Neill got MOM.

stiffler

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2014, 06:33:20 PM
Laoislad you are right. It was Oct 1989 at Landsdowne Rd. The follow up to the "night in November". The world cup was Italia 90 - not Italia 2000. (I missed a decade somewhere). ROI won 3 -0 to qualify but Michael O Neill got MOM.

Was this not 1993 , World Cup qualifier ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

5 Sams

Quote from: bannside on October 17, 2014, 11:58:21 PM
Michael is a great lad. Played Gaa alongside him just before he left for Newcastle Utd. Would have just played for them on a Sat pm and would be sitting with a few of us later that night for a pint. Very down to earth and deserves to do well.

Met him a few times in the 80s when I was curtin a Ballymena woman. He played for All Saints. Nice fella. Good luck to him. Doing a great job with OWC.
The Aristocrat Years

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2014, 01:59:59 PM

Last time I looked there was no such country as northern Ireland!!

northern Ireland is up there with narnia, El dorado , Atlantis and middle earth!

Don't think my old muckers were banged up fighting for northern Ireland !!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 18, 2014, 07:08:10 PM

northern Ireland is up there with narnia, El dorado , Atlantis and middle earth!

You just didn't get caught then? Muckers? we all know muckers that got banged up? silly statement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2014, 07:17:50 PM

You just didn't get caught then? Muckers? we all know muckers that got banged up? silly statement
Maybe so
But that wasn't the point!
So must say you've given a 'silly reply'!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 18, 2014, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2014, 07:17:50 PM

Maybe so
But that wasn't the point!
So must say you've given a 'silly reply'!!

Ok  soccer lover ffs!!  ;D