1991 All Ireland Final Replay - Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust

Started by supersub, November 06, 2013, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on November 06, 2013, 05:23:44 PM
Wow! What'd you be like if yiz had lost?

I know it's tough that the GAA world sees Down as the surrogate champions of 1991. All people remember about that year is Meath and, to a lesser extent, Dublin. All they remember about the final is that Meath almost won it despite being a few dozen scores down and that their star player came on with pneumonia and turned the game on his own. Who were they playing again?

Yeah, we really captured the nations heart that year.
I don't even mind that we lost the final.
Sure we only had half a team by that stage anyway and the Northern crowd (I forget which one) seemed happy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thebar

Quote from: Jinxy on November 07, 2013, 10:17:38 AM

I know it's tough that the GAA world sees Down as the surrogate champions of 1991. All people remember about that year is Meath and, to a lesser extent, Dublin. All they remember about the final is that Meath almost won it despite being a few dozen scores down and that their star player came on with pneumonia and turned the game on his own. Who were they playing again?

Sure we only had half a team by that stage anyway and the Northern crowd (I forget which one) seemed happy.

Sure everyone is happy then Jinxy Down won the All Ireland and you felt the love of a nation ;D You don't realise how lucky you are!! ;)

PAULD123

No problem Jinxy I'll refresh your memory for you:

Down 1-16
Meath 1-14

There you go now you remember exactly who beat you!!!!

Jinxy

Down Follower

Quote from: Jinxy on November 07, 2013, 10:52:47 AM
'Down'?
Sounds a bit made up to me.
Like 'Narnia'.

Well for your information the description of Narnia was inspired by the scenery in Down, and specifically the Mourne Mountains!!

Hardy

'Down'?
Like 'Narnia'.

Ah no, it's real, OK. I think I heard of it in a song.

Is it by the riverside or something like that?

thebar

'Down'?
Like 'Narnia'.

Jinxy come on now your not behaving like someone who said they didn't mind losing the final... ;D

deiseach

Jinxy

thebar

Quote from: Jinxy on November 07, 2013, 11:27:38 AM
We were the peoples champions.

That must be a great feeling I'm telling ya you don't realise how lucky you are!! ;D  I had you all wrong your a great fella! ;D

Croí na hÉireann

So is that when the rot set in and it became acceptable to just compete? I always thought it happened sometime after the millennium.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

snoopdog

took meath 12 games to get past a poor Dublin side that year. Sure Down romped the final, went that far ahead the boys were thinking of how many pints would fill Sam. the result was never in doubt.

deiseach

Quote from: snoopdog on November 07, 2013, 05:27:03 PM
took meath 12 games to get past a poor Dublin side that year. Sure Down romped the final, went that far ahead the boys were thinking of how many pints would fill Sam. the result was never in doubt.

Did they find an answer?

magpie seanie

Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on November 07, 2013, 05:27:03 PM

Did they find an answer?

Wouldn't happen nowadays. That sort of thing would be worked out well in advance by the entourage of statisticans and dieticians over a conference call.