Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 08, 2018, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 08, 2018, 03:59:37 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 08, 2018, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 08, 2018, 01:38:12 PM
Do the Mayo posters expect Boyle & Seamie O'Shea to hang around another year?

The draw is on Thursday, nailed on Galway & Mayo will meet before a Connacht Final again.

I'd expect Galway v Mayo final next year with the returning Horan to do what Rochford couldn't. Beat Galway and win a Connacht title.

Based on?

On the return of the consistency competitive manager.

Horan was up against very bad Galway and Roscommon sides in Connacht during his first stint. A luxury that Rochford especially didn't have a few years later to be fair to him.

Timing can be huge in management and taking on a job at the right or wrong time.

From the Bunker

I think he/we is/are in for a shock. It will be 4 and a half years since he's had a competitive game with the core of the group. It will take a couple of years S&C to get the young lads up and running. Saving money seems to be the short term agenda with local lads as his backroom team. No harm in that! If he lasts the four years he will see all the old gang retire or told to go.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Real Talk on October 08, 2018, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 08, 2018, 02:02:52 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 08, 2018, 01:38:12 PM
Do the Mayo posters expect Boyle & Seamie O'Shea to hang around another year?

The draw is on Thursday, nailed on Galway & Mayo will meet before a Connacht Final again.
A lot depends on what the players in question think. It's a long time since Mayo players weren't going flat out to late August at the very least and even up to the third Sunday in September. And the effort they had to put in was manic to put it mildly.
Now, with the extended break and the re-appearance of Horan, I'd say the mood among the players is pretty upbeat.

Its also possible that some of them might have enjoyed life outside the commitment of County Football and call it a day
I think the fact that Horan is returning is very significant. Nobody knows the veterans on the team better than he does and you can be sure he contacted some of them before allowing his name to go forward. He has to see something there before he'd give up his pundit work with Sky and whatever newspaper articles he writes also.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

David Clarke; Eoin O'Donoghue, Chris Barrett, Keith Higgins (0-1); Paddy Durcan, Colm Boyle, Stephen Coen; Seamus O'Shea, Tom Parsons (0-1); Kevin McLoughlin (0-2), Aidan O'Shea, Diarmuid O'Connor (0-1); Conor Loftus (0-3, frees), Jason Doherty, Andy Moran (0-2). Subs: Cillian O'Connor (0-2, one free) for Parsons (inj.), David Drake for Loftus, James Durcan for Doherty, Cian Hanley for Seamus O'Shea, Brendan Harrison for O'Donoghue, Donal Vaughan for Moran

How many out of those involved v Galway this year will not be able to cut it next year.

Barret , Higgins , Boyle , seamie and Andy but most likely well able to have an impact as panel members. 

We have  Brendan Harrison , caolan crowe and ger mcdonagh IMO for the fb line . We have Lambert and oisin mgloughlin ready to have a cut for next line up. We have James durcan flying at club level who already had a good taste in county team this year .With the likes of Ryan o Donohue, colm Moran and t Conroy from 20s this year about the place I just can't for the life of me understand all the pessimistic attitude .  Mayo will have a better side in two years time than the horan first era team . Have a feeling we will target Nestor cup for 2019 and succeed .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Of the panel James Horan left behind in 2014 had

Andy Moran,David Clarke aged 30
Keith Higgins 29
Colm Boyle 28
Seamus O Shea,Ger Cafferky,Chris Barrett 27
Tom Parsons 26
Donal Vaughan,Kevin McLoughlin 25
Jason Doherty,Aidan O Shea,Lee Keegan 24
Cillan O Connor 22

Add 5 years onto to ages for 2019 plus the high mileage on their legs and you see the panel Horan will have in 2019 will not be better or at the same level as 2014. Some good young players are coming through but the biggest challenging off all is trying to get as much of an impact out those young players in the years ahead as the likes of Higgins,Boyle and Moran etc have given in the business end of the championship 2011 to 2017.

What i think Horan will do in year one is to put more of the 2016 U21 team into the starting team so probably  S Cunniffe, S Akram,M Ruane will see plenty of game time during the NFL and if they stand out during the spring they will be given their senior championship debuts.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Manning18

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 07, 2018, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 07, 2018, 02:51:13 PM
Horan doing videos talking about Adventures, Quests and Odysseys. "Brand Mayo". Some amount of cringe. It's not the presidency he's taking over

He seems to have you rattled anyway  ;D ;D

My eyes rattled from cringing?

"Brand Mayo". He's the manager of an average rural county's amateur football team, not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Quests and Odysseys is even stranger again. Perhaps he's a World of Warcraft fan

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on October 08, 2018, 02:07:33 PM
QuoteDo the Mayo posters expect Boyle & Seamie O'Shea to hang around another year?

Yes.

Seamie was floating between midfield and sweeper on Saturday and did well inside in the sweeper role. Maybe somewhere along the half back line is somewhere to put him. Boyle won't have a full game in him but should always start.

Matthew Ruane was very impressive in midfield on Saturday. A definite prospect for the senior team, imo.
I think diarmuid will be a starting midfielder next year / he was phenomenal on Saturday and was the bug positive from newbridge he always looks tired but just never stops . his activity there can  really make a difference. love to see him partnered with aidan there
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:11:57 PM
Horan doing videos talking about Adventures, Quests and Odysseys. "Brand Mayo". Some amount of cringe. It's not the presidency he's taking over

"Brand Mayo". He's the manager of an average rural county's amateur football team, not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Quests and Odysseys is even stranger again. Perhaps he's a World of Warcraft fan
who are hugely popular and successful in fundraising allowing them to compete at the top level of football for the last decade from our impoverished county rather than whinge about dublin.
Welcome to footballs real world
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Manning18

Quote from: rosnarun on October 09, 2018, 12:18:51 PM

who are hugely popular and successful in fundraising allowing them to compete at the top level of football for the last decade from our impoverished county rather than whinge about dublin.

Should he not be trying to extract less money from people in one of the countries more impoverished counties rather than more? Brand Mayo, sounds like a racket to take yet more from loyal fans. I do agree that Mayo's fundraising from far afield has been phenomenal from a county that wouldn't exactly be known for big businessmen abroad.

Mac2

Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:26:15 PM

Should he not be trying to extract less money from people in one of the countries more impoverished counties rather than more? Brand Mayo, sounds like a racket to take yet more from loyal fans. I do agree that Mayo's fundraising from far afield has been phenomenal from a county that wouldn't exactly be known for big businessmen abroad.
Did you actually listen to the interview? He was playing that stuff down, saying it was mythology.

highorlow

QuoteShould he not be trying to extract less money from people in one of the countries more impoverished counties rather than more? Brand Mayo, sounds like a racket to take yet more from loyal fans. I do agree that Mayo's fundraising from far afield has been phenomenal from a county that wouldn't exactly be known for big businessmen abroad.

Go back to the link and listen to the full interview. He says he doesn't buy any of the bullshit that the media and some others harp on about.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

iorras

Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:26:15 PM

Dont worry about us lad, we have plenty of big businessmen at  home and abroad. And by big businessmen I mean big as in the type with money not big as in fat lads who eat burgers. Not sure which you meant.
Another positive is that we werent found with our hands in the till like one of our neighbours!

Syferus

Who cares what Mayo do at this stage

They ain't winning the All-Ireland in the medium term and when casual John and Mary realise that the hole will fall out of the bandwagon

highorlow

QuoteWho cares what Mayo do at this stage

:D
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on October 09, 2018, 03:51:45 PM
Who cares what Mayo do at this stage

They ain't winning the All-Ireland in the medium term and when casual John and Mary realise that the hole will fall out of the bandwagon

I spit me tae out between you and your comrade who thinks there are no big business men from Mayo . A million dollars is the target for new York and it will be hit . 

It's very entertaining seeing our neighbors all rattled and over nothing really , ye hardly fear an aging team like mayo , surely not , it's high time you boys beat Mayo in the championship , perfect opportunity this year if drawn to do something you've not done in 32 years .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .