Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: tiempo on March 07, 2019, 01:25:56 PM
Saw Ger Cavlan score the most audacious point at Healy Park for Dungannon, won it out in front of defender who was up his arse, turned round to face the defender on the 45, was satationary defender poised for the next move, took a solo in standing position and 2 steps backwards, sent it over the bar outside of the left foot, absolutely no momentum aside from throwing the leg at it, and with the outside of his weaker foot, there was an audible gasp then ripple of applause from everyone, he was slightly off centre too so 45 plus a few yards for the diagonal, plus conditions, savage, obviously not the same sense of occasion as Dooher v Kerry but scores like those live long in the memory
cavlan was magic. Too many Tyrone players nowadays afraid to even take the big shot on. It can really light up a game when it happens.

Fuzzman

Sounds like most people are in favour of giving Coney another chance and maybe playing at 11 suits him better. He looks to be a much more "rounded" player now and willing to work back and make tackles. RTE highlights last week showed him making a diving block.
I think we in Tyrone have been spoiled over the years with some amazing players like Frank and Brian McGuigan, PTG, Stevie & Dooher so we do find it a little galling when others (and ourselves) describe our team now as a group of robots or clones all playing to a system and not much individuality. Would we have seen Mugsy's great goal in 2005 if we were sticking so rigidly to a system of playing the percentages and recycle the ball rather than maybe lose it.
You would imagine Bradley, Lee Brennan and hopefully Daragh Canavan will provide us with some quality magic in the years ahead and hopefully teams focus more on attack rather than the Fermanagh approach of late.

clarshack

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on March 07, 2019, 01:07:43 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on March 07, 2019, 12:44:42 PM
Chatting to someone at the game Saturday night who was right behind Coney for his point, said it was one of the best he ever saw in Healy. Coney needs the number 11 jersey starting against the dubs in croke park next week.

Does anybody agree there has been a bit of hyperbole about this point? It was a nice score but lets not get carried away.

I'd imagine Coney will start at least one of the last two league games. He's largely been effective coming off the bench so deserves a go from the start to stake a claim for the championship

it looked like it was going miles wide when he kicked it. think of the Roberto Carlos banana kick many years ago.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 07, 2019, 03:09:04 PM
Sounds like most people are in favour of giving Coney another chance and maybe playing at 11 suits him better. He looks to be a much more "rounded" player now and willing to work back and make tackles. RTE highlights last week showed him making a diving block.
I think we in Tyrone have been spoiled over the years with some amazing players like Frank and Brian McGuigan, PTG, Stevie & Dooher so we do find it a little galling when others (and ourselves) describe our team now as a group of robots or clones all playing to a system and not much individuality. Would we have seen Mugsy's great goal in 2005 if we were sticking so rigidly to a system of playing the percentages and recycle the ball rather than maybe lose it.
You would imagine Bradley, Lee Brennan and hopefully Daragh Canavan will provide us with some quality magic in the years ahead and hopefully teams focus more on attack rather than the Fermanagh approach of late.

You'll be lucky to see him.

deadman

Saw Ger Cavlan score the most audacious point at Healy Park for Dungannon, won it out in front of defender who was up his arse, turned round to face the defender on the 45, was satationary defender poised for the next move, took a solo in standing position and 2 steps backwards, sent it over the bar outside of the left foot, absolutely no momentum aside from throwing the leg at it, and with the outside of his weaker foot, there was an audible gasp then ripple of applause from everyone, he was slightly off centre too so 45 plus a few yards for the diagonal, plus conditions, savage, obviously not the same sense of occasion as Dooher v Kerry but scores like those live long in the memory

The Dooher point is definitely one that stands out in my memory. Another point I can vividly remember was Stevie O'Neill v the Dubs in the league in the 125 anniversary game at Croker. Was lucky enough to be down that end of the Cusack lower tier and see it from along that line. He was about half a foot inside the endline, scarcely believable how he managed to put it between the posts.
Canavan in the '05 final under the Canal End stand was a remarkable score as well. Honourable mentions to Peter Harte's monster point in the Ulster Final v Donegal a few years ago in Clones, and Raymie Mulgrew sending a Dublin player down the road to the shop with a dummy before landing a peach in the 2007 game under lights.

tiempo

Yes SON made a mockery of angles through 2005 and the 125 game under lights score from the corner that whole side of Croke gasped, crazy to elicit that from a few thousand people at the same time. Same game same half Colly McCullagh outside of left, i was right behind it, cleanest strike you could wish to see bending all over the shop straight over black spot.

Give the current crop the freedom and they'd do similar, waste of time talented forwards beasting in defence then fucked when they get a chance

BennyHarp

Cavlan had a great ability to kick outrageous points from distance. Some of the points he kicked during the 1996 semi final v Meath where superb.
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

Can anyone tell me the current crop of forwards aren't as good as the ones that lifted Sam in 08?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tiempo on March 07, 2019, 08:24:39 PM
Yes SON made a mockery of angles through 2005 and the 125 game under lights score from the corner that whole side of Croke gasped, crazy to elicit that from a few thousand people at the same time. Same game same half Colly McCullagh outside of left, i was right behind it, cleanest strike you could wish to see bending all over the shop straight over black spot.

Give the current crop the freedom and they'd do similar, waste of time talented forwards beasting in defence then fucked when they get a chance

One of the best displays of forward score taking I've ever seen was Stevie's exhibition against Cork in the League down in Pairc Uí Rinn (February, 2007 if I'm not mistaken), where he was simply unmarkable: from the right sideline... ping, from the left sideline... ping!  An unlikely victory... and what a display!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trueblue1234

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 07, 2019, 08:51:02 PM
Can anyone tell me the current crop of forwards aren't as good as the ones that lifted Sam in 08?

The Current crop aren't as good as the ones that lifted Sam in 2008.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

southtyronegael

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 08, 2019, 10:06:21 AM
[/qu

I disagree

toby47

Starting 6 forwards in 08 final
B Dooher, M Penrose, Joe McMahon, T McGuigan, S Cavanagh, C McCullagh

Notable subs
Stephen O'Neill, Mulligan & Brian McGuigan

trueblue1234

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 08, 2019, 10:14:01 AM

I disagree

Fair enough. To me it's not even a debate.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

sensethetone

Quote from: toby47 on March 08, 2019, 10:17:08 AM

Starting 6 forwards in 08 final
B Dooher, M Penrose, Joe McMahon, T McGuigan, S Cavanagh, C McCullagh

Notable subs
Stephen O'Neill, Mulligan & Brian McGuigan

Joe went to corner back, Ryan Mellon started LHF.

nrico2006

Quote from: deadman on March 07, 2019, 05:22:48 PM

The Dooher point is definitely one that stands out in my memory. Another point I can vividly remember was Stevie O'Neill v the Dubs in the league in the 125 anniversary game at Croker. Was lucky enough to be down that end of the Cusack lower tier and see it from along that line. He was about half a foot inside the endline, scarcely believable how he managed to put it between the posts.
Canavan in the '05 final under the Canal End stand was a remarkable score as well. Honourable mentions to Peter Harte's monster point in the Ulster Final v Donegal a few years ago in Clones, and Raymie Mulgrew sending a Dublin player down the road to the shop with a dummy before landing a peach in the 2007 game under lights.

Throw in the League final in Division 2 against Kildare where SON scored two or three of the best points you are ever likely to see.  His ability to score from acute angles from both sides off both feet was uncanny, plus his penalties were near perfect too, sort of curled them in behind the post.  Its a shame that he was ravaged was injuries because you could argue that we only really had a year or two when he was at his peak and injury free. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'