Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: clarshack on March 03, 2019, 12:39:36 PM
Hopefully someone recorded Kyle Coney's point from the stand side. It was an outrageous effort.

Didn't look overly special on the tv but it looked like the cameras weren't in  the media tower as the angle was very low

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: omaghjoe on March 05, 2019, 09:42:14 PM
Hopefully someone recorded Kyle Coney's point from the stand side. It was an outrageous effort.

Didn't look overly special on the tv but it looked like the cameras weren't in  the media tower as the angle was very low

It was a peach, truly.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

clarshack

Quote from: omaghjoe on March 05, 2019, 09:42:14 PM

TV doesn't do it justice.

Redhand Santa

I'm looking forward to this game down in croke park next week. It's a good chance to test ourselves against the Dubs and try a few new things without the pressure of the championship. Both teams know that a defeat would rule them out of the league final so it's not a dead rubber game. Dublin will be pushing to stay in league contention and given we've only ever won two leagues so a victory here and staying in contention would be great for morale.

It will obviously be a very difficult game but another high quality game in croke park should be good for development. That's if we are competitive of course. No matter what I don't think we can afford to take a hammering from the Dubs at this stage,  if we have any ambitions of winning all Irelands we need to start proving that we can compete and beat the Dubs. I'd line out something like this:

Morgan
R Brennan
McNamee
McGeary
McCann
Hampsey
Sludden
Kennedy
R Donnelly
Meyler
Coney
Burns
McCurry
Harte
M Donnelly

I'd give Coney his chance in a high paced game like this to see how he can get on. Sludden might offer more coming from half back, he scored a few points the last day but has been quiet enough in a lot of matches of late. Harte at 14 but coming in and out the pitch, his form has picked up an that makes a big difference to the team.

Fuzzman

What's the latest news on Colm Cav?
When he comes back would it not be worth trying him in the FF line?
Have we not got enough lads good enough now to play sweeper?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2019, 04:22:58 PM

We have no players with an ability to kick the ball into the man.

It's a possible tactic, AI Final for example - we don't kick the ball though. Rather solo on HW line, play it safe and shift it over to some other fella 5 metres laterally. Would like to see Tyrone embrace the inside mark personally as I believe it's here to stay.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 06, 2019, 05:03:28 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2019, 04:22:58 PM

We have no players with an ability to kick the ball into the man.

It's a possible tactic, AI Final for example - we don't kick the ball though. Rather solo on HW line, play it safe and shift it over to some other fella 5 metres laterally. Would like to see Tyrone embrace the inside mark personally as I believe it's here to stay.

Tyrone have been doing a lot more kicking inside in recent league games. Mattie Donnelly has won a lot of it. Early in the league they tried kicking it in but the ball wasn't sticking at all and coming straight back out.

In terms of the mark there is no point embracing it this season as no matter what it won't be here for the championship.

omagh_gael

Declan Bogue on off the ball today saying he'd heard from a good source that the tyrone panel were approximately 6 weeks behind last year's fitness levels at this stage. Makes sense when you see performances recently. Much better support from runners that was very poor in first two games.

tyrone08

Wonder if that was a deliberate or as a result of the Thailand holiday. After AI final i thought Tyrone should target the league this year to give the lads some confidence. We dont seem to be targeting the league for the past few years.

Seems strange that they target the mckenna cup but not the league

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 06, 2019, 07:29:58 PM
Declan Bogue on off the ball today saying he'd heard from a good source that the tyrone panel were approximately 6 weeks behind last year's fitness levels at this stage. Makes sense when you see performances recently. Much better support from runners that was very poor in first two games.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 06, 2019, 09:10:51 PM
Wonder if that was a deliberate or as a result of the Thailand holiday. After AI final i thought Tyrone should target the league this year to give the lads some confidence. We dont seem to be targeting the league for the past few years.

Would this be related to the draw for Ulster. No need to be as fit and flying for Derry then Antrim this year compared with Monaghan first day out last year.

Redhand Santa

I think everything in terms of fitness is geared towards peaking come championship. That is the primary focus and the way it has to be if you want to be successful come the summer.

Harte still wants to win every game but won't sacrifice peaking in the championship to achieve this. Given the strength of Tyrone's overall squad they are still able to compete and win McKenna Cups as they are better than most of the teams in it and often the top teams have a lot of players rested.

Come the league the quality of opposition steps up and if you can't match them for fitness it becomes a struggle. The new Kerry manager this year obviously had has team training from early as he's trying to build a team and this was evident in Killarney.

trueblue1234

I don't think it's a case that Tyrone target the McKenna cup. I think it's more a case that no one targets it, therefore everyone's on the level playing field with fitness, preparation etc. Where as focus for the league is different in different counties.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

southtyronegael

Chatting to someone at the game Saturday night who was right behind Coney for his point, said it was one of the best he ever saw in Healy. Coney needs the number 11 jersey starting against the dubs in croke park next week.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 07, 2019, 12:44:42 PM
Chatting to someone at the game Saturday night who was right behind Coney for his point, said it was one of the best he ever saw in Healy. Coney needs the number 11 jersey starting against the dubs in croke park next week.

Does anybody agree there has been a bit of hyperbole about this point? It was a nice score but lets not get carried away.

I'd imagine Coney will start at least one of the last two league games. He's largely been effective coming off the bench so deserves a go from the start to stake a claim for the championship

tiempo

Saw Ger Cavlan score the most audacious point at Healy Park for Dungannon, won it out in front of defender who was up his arse, turned round to face the defender on the 45, was satationary defender poised for the next move, took a solo in standing position and 2 steps backwards, sent it over the bar outside of the left foot, absolutely no momentum aside from throwing the leg at it, and with the outside of his weaker foot, there was an audible gasp then ripple of applause from everyone, he was slightly off centre too so 45 plus a few yards for the diagonal, plus conditions, savage, obviously not the same sense of occasion as Dooher v Kerry but scores like those live long in the memory