Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

read "the accountants story" by roberto escobar.  he gives an insight to pablo escobars life.  i thought it was very good.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

magickingdom

then you'll love 'killing pablo' the story of the hunt for him

down6061689194

Fnished Darkly Dreaing Dexter today. If you liked the TV show this is way better. There are many things left out to allow a TV show that really add to the book.

Also bought Dexter in the Dark and Dearly Devoted dexter as well as Ritual by Mo Hayder because Easons had a 2 for 1 on the 3 Dexters and that.

Ritual is on the same lines as Dexrer but english set. I read the first few pages and found it interesting.

And if yu still havent read it, Im still looking for something as grippingas the Da Vinci Code.

vav

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 25, 2009, 09:57:08 AM
Quote from: vav on June 25, 2009, 12:10:26 AM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 24, 2009, 10:49:38 PM
I am almost finished this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enemy-Number-One-Secrets-Professional/dp/190515660X/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i/279-3669316-7002527

Patrick Vietch's autobiography, hes a professional punter who has cleaned the British bookies the last ten years winning millions, including his horse that they backed from 100-1 to 8-1 one day and cleaned up on.. Also the murkier side like when a local con man tried to fleece him and force Patrick into hiding for a year

Obviously you would need a strong niterest in racing an all but if you do then its very good..

Sounds like that could be really interesting.. Am in the middle of Mick Fitzgeralds "Better Than Sex" so that will be next on the agenda thanks

Mick's book is very good, I read it a few months back...

Are you not a woman?

Erm yeah I am a girl who likes horseracing is that that hard to believe  ??? 
Have read a few of John Francomes fictional books (kinda along similiar lines to Dick Francis novels) which have been good reads.. would recommend them too

Denn Forever

[quote
[/quote]

Erm yeah I am a girl who likes horseracing is that that hard to believe  ??? 
Have read a few of John Francomes fictional books (kinda along similiar lines to Dick Francis novels) which have been good reads.. would recommend them too
[/quote]

Dick Francis for you.

Favorite books of the past while are The Book Thief and The Elegence of the Hedgehog.  Beutiful.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: magickingdom on June 25, 2009, 08:08:05 PM
then you'll love 'killing pablo' the story of the hunt for him

Excellent book - couldn't believe the scale of corruption going on... they would put our politicians to shame
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Hound

Quote from: down6061689194 on June 25, 2009, 08:13:32 PM
And if yu still havent read it, Im still looking for something as grippingas the Da Vinci Code.
Did you not think that "Angels and Demons" was more gripping?

I read a book called "The Shakespeare Secret" by some bird, which was pretty good. Though you do have to forget that its a bit of a rip off of the Da Vinci code.

muppet

Just finished two books by Anthony Bozza.

Whatever you say I am: the life and times of Eminem and Slash (which was eh co-written by Slash)

The Eminem one is mildly interesting but the Slash book is completely insane. He is totally off the stage.

Here is a quote from the main man:

"I had no remorse whatever about my overdose -- but I was pissed off at myself for having died."

Good read though and tells it openly warts and all.

He can play though: Slash: Godfather Theme
MWWSI 2017

magickingdom

'four iron for the soul' or when i bought it it was called 'it should have been a three iron' by lawrence donegan now guardian golf scribe but former musician (with Leonard cohn). the story of a year (1996) as a caddy on the european tour for ross drummond. i couldn't stop laughing at some of the scenes in the book... brilliant

longball

Finally got the twilight series. Have read most of the first book hopefully will finish it this evening have to say its excellent. Cant wait to get onto new moon. anyone else read these?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Zapatista

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2009, 01:14:40 PM

True but they are very similar in characters (excusing Rob L) and theme, as is Deception Point. It might be a case of - whichever one you read first.

If you like the secret society - murder mystery type book try Foucaults Pendulum. It's was recommended to me by a friend as "best book I ever read" but I found it tough going. Good at times but hard work at times too.

http://www.amazon.com/Foucaults-Pendulum-Umberto-Eco/dp/0345368754

Mr. Nakata

I'm reading a Cormac McCarthy novel called Blood Meridian at the minute. Has anyone read it? Savage stuff altogeher, not for the faint hearted.

5 Sams

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 20, 2009, 03:45:36 PM
I'm reading a Cormac McCarthy novel called Blood Meridian at the minute. Has anyone read it? Savage stuff altogeher, not for the faint hearted.

I read it quite a while ago Mr Nakata....typical McCarthy....he has been discussed on this thread before...The Road is his best work to date imho
The Aristocrat Years

irunthev

Just finished Capello - Portrait of a Winner by Gabriele  Marcotti and it provides a great insight into someone who is a born winner. You get the feeling that England will be well worth a  serious bet for the World Cup going on his approach and his achievements to date. Also just completed the Ian Wooldridge compilation "Seaching for Heroes" which is a simple collection of his newspaper articles over the years ranging from Ali, to Best, to Coe, Mary Peters and many many more, lovely read. In the process of reading "The Two of Me" by Andrew Johns (Aussie Rugby League star). The guy is rated the ebst player ever but has only recently revealed he is bipolar and also has a serious drink and drugs problem. Fascinating character and would make Cantona look like a straight forward guy. "City Boy" by Geraint Anderson is also a must read for anyone with an interest in the stock market, banking or even the present economic crisis. Warts and all story of a city trader.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Zapatista on July 20, 2009, 01:29:32 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2009, 01:14:40 PM

True but they are very similar in characters (excusing Rob L) and theme, as is Deception Point. It might be a case of - whichever one you read first.

If you like the secret society - murder mystery type book try Foucaults Pendulum. It's was recommended to me by a friend as "best book I ever read" but I found it tough going. Good at times but hard work at times too.

http://www.amazon.com/Foucaults-Pendulum-Umberto-Eco/dp/0345368754

I read that myself a while ago was tough going alright. Finishing off Christopher Brookmyre's a big boy did it and ran away before starting Sunnyside, Glen David Gold's follow up to Carter Beats the Devil.