Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 21, 2009, 10:06:15 PM
Armagh county board don't possess the skillset to be properly researching and appointing any type of coach or manager, never mind the county senior one.

none of them ever did a day of coaching. only one man in the executive actually played the game - some 40 years ago. how can that group of people be entrusted with making the most important managerial appointment in the county?

How could any of them have any understanding of the fundamentals of football management? skill enhancement, man management, psychological preparation, gameplans, tactics, etc? Given that they have no basic knowledge of these things then how can they competantly appoint the best man for the job? they won't evem be able to draw up criteria for possible candidates to meet!

Lets not forget these guys made the last appointment and only appointed kernan against their better judgement in autumn 01 because they were staring into the barrell of a gun if they didn't.

I don't know the lads on the CB but you're not painting a very good picture of them. I don't dispute what you're saying but they mustn't have much between the lugs if what you say is correct.

thewobbler

Quotet will be interesting to see who gets the job, I really hope McAlinden does  not get it, I still havent forgiven him after changing the team that destroyed down in the Ulster final years ago, he brought Donaldson into the team and that killed us

McAlinden woudn't be the right man for this job, but this is a bit harsh on him and Donaldson. John McDermott was simply immense that day, and that's why Armagh lost. Sometimes things like this happen.

Both McGeeney and McNulty should have the sense to stay away from this job for a few years. There's a few of their old mates need retired, and it's not fair on anyone in situations like that.

QuoteArmagh county board don't possess the skillset to be properly researching and appointing any type of coach or manager, never mind the county senior one.

This statement is rotten to the core. It is disrespectful to men who have given far too much of their lives to the GAA. It is disrespectful to the structures of the GAA. It is disrespectful to the men who selected Joe Kernan to take Armagh to their only All-Ireland, and to the the men who selected Peter McDonnell, who won an Ulster title with an over the hill squad. Worst of all, it doesn't offer an alternative.

qub la la la

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 21, 2009, 09:57:07 PM

Whar have marsden and scullion done as coaches to merit inclusion?

only two of the best coaches in ireland...

anyway, outside manager could be out of question - consider the cost cutting measures the county board has carried out this last while, development squads were nearly gone completely and i would imagine the expenses issue was a key factor in the last choice of management, with the, er, successful candidates being probably the cheapest option. while our counterparts in tyrone are building multi-million pound centres of excellence armagh spent the guts of 10 years renovating the athletic grounds. two county boards at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. tyrone built on what they achieved in 03, armagh stood back and thought it would never end.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 21, 2009, 10:09:33 PM

well the first thing is that both are barred from county jobs because of their work with the ulster council.
playing records are irrelevent to coaching credentials.
has scullion ever won anything as a coach?
maybe marsden might be credible but he's probably too young to have the cv for it yet.
These are the men who in an ideal world I would like to see take Armagh. Chances are they won't, but I am led to believe this was the make up of the backroom staff when McGeeney was going for the job last time round. Don't see how Marsden is too young he's only a few years behind Geezer.

orangeman

I think Marsden would be perfect for a role in the new management team.

But I believe that his job in the Ulster council rules him ( and anyone else in the Ulster council for that matter ) out.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: thewobbler on July 21, 2009, 10:11:55 PM
QuoteArmagh county board don't possess the skillset to be properly researching and appointing any type of coach or manager, never mind the county senior one.

This statement is rotten to the core. It is disrespectful to men who have given far too much of their lives to the GAA. It is disrespectful to the structures of the GAA. It is disrespectful to the men who selected Joe Kernan to take Armagh to their only All-Ireland, and to the the men who selected Peter McDonnell, who won an Ulster title with an over the hill squad. Worst of all, it doesn't offer an alternative.
Wobbler the Armagh CB blatantly ignored the wishes of the clubs who voted by majority for another canditate. They instead went and instated McDonnell. I have nothing against McDonnell and am grateful that he won us another Ulster, but at the end of the day it wasn't fair that McDonnell was picked ahead of Grimley, just because someone on the county board didn't like him. McDonnell was and is not to blame, and I feel he has got the raw end of the deal because of this fiasco and has been blatantly used by the Armagh county board. So f*ck the lot of them

DuffleKing

orangeman

Have the Armagh CB through their sponsors etc ensured that county teams as past 7/8 years are very well provided for / looked after or would they be tight on resources ????

Orior

[

I agree totally. Senior management in my work dont know .NET, Perl, SCOM, Java Beans, UML, Solaris patching, etc etc yet they still manage to run a very successful company
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fitzroyalty

Quote from: orangeman on July 21, 2009, 10:18:03 PM

But I believe that his job in the Ulster council rules him ( and anyone else in the Ulster council for that matter ) out.
I wasn't aware of this, does it only apply for intercounty senior? As I am near sure one of the minor selectors is with the Ulster council.

DuffleKing

You can't wheel out a blanket defence of dedication, volunteerism, etc everytime there;sa critical word ushered about a county board anywhere in the country. i'd venture that i know the strengths and weaknesses of our county board better than you. they are well able to fundraise and get the admin side of things running well. however, they are just not football men. They do not know the game. They certainly do not knoe anything about coaching or managing.

The only credible way forward is to appoint a subcommittee with the relevent expertise and experienceto research, interview and recommend a manager. three men. lets say paddy mo, paul mcgrane and brian mceniff.

Harold Disgracey

I wouldn't be so sure, Gary Mallon who was part of McDonnell's backroom team works with the Ulster Council.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 21, 2009, 10:26:00 PM

I wouldn't be so sure, Gary Mallon who was part of McDonnell's backroom team works with the Ulster Council.
Was thinking of him!

thewobbler

Quotethey are just not football men. They do not know the game.
In my experience (having been involved in one), county board members are among the most dedicated followers of football you'll come across. Maybe in Armagh things are done differently, but I just don't see how someone could (or would want to) rise up the ranks without a passion bordering on vocational. This, I'll repeat, is simply disrespectful.

QuoteThey certainly do not knoe anything about coaching or managing.
They don't have to. They are administrators. Administrators are normally surprisingly good at weighing up the pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses of a situation. That's why they end up in the role. Even if you appointed a selection committee of managers, their understanding of management techniques could only be one small aspect of a selection process. The candidate's demands and desires, financial demands, availability, internal politics, popularity, trustworthiness and general knowledge of Armagh football would all figure just as strongly. And frankly, finding all this stuff out would bore the tits off most people who aren't administrators.

Quotepaddy mo, paul mcgrane and brian mceniff.
So you would trust the county board to appoint the correct selection sub-committee? I'll not even discuss the inividuals you've mentioned.