Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: barnish oggie on May 25, 2023, 09:20:29 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on May 24, 2023, 06:43:34 PM
Quote from: Gold on May 24, 2023, 06:12:57 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 24, 2023, 04:54:46 PM
Does anyone else get the distinct feeling that some posters  will be all over this discussion thread like a bad rash the minute Antrim get beaten. A couple of good recent wins just dosent suit their agenda.

Andy came onboard when this squad was in absolute rags and is doing a very solid job about rebuilding it. Personally I couldn't give one toss what club a player is from, when he is honoured to be invited into the squad, puts in the sheer hard work, and takes pride in the jersey strongly enough to be a valuable member of the squad,  we should support them.

Yes it's a discussion board and all about opinions...but try and stay classy.

I've had a pop at plenty of management teams and will be consistent in that regard if and when our current set up goes stale/dressing room becomes lost, but in the interests of balance let's be able to give genuine credit when it is deserved.

And CB, please note that the vast majority on here don't give a fiddlers toss about how many medals people have. If they are along the line they will only be judged on results and even more important in any coaches book, performances.

Absolutely they are busting to,  dying to see Antrim lose to say i told you so.

To call a spade a spade Cargin were extremely lucky to get anything out of the Naomh Conall game last year. They just about stayed in it and then got lucky with the goal and won on pens. They were TURGID against Glen. No shot from play in 1st half, set up not to get hammered. You could argue "we only got beat by" but to any of us we know it may as well ha e been 30points, it was a non event

They've beat other teams in Antrim when the county is at a low ebb, that's it. Haven't made a mark in Ulster bar that penalty win last year. Cannot be compared in the same stratosphere as the St Galls team who went toe to toe with anyone and everyone.

I wish Cargin did win Ulster, i wish they improved our Countys standing, i wish they would throw off the shackles and have a real go in Ulster but fear age has caught up with their better players, the time for that was 5 or more years ago. Just because you win Antrim  when Antrim were at a low ebb does not guarantee all your players start for the County. Shivers can take a point but doesn't move....we  ALL need him to work on that to I prove our County's fare

Compared to the like of a Tomas McCann (who was an absolutely and utterly exceptional footballer for us and a certain starter) he doesn't compare. I'm disappointed he walked away but I appreciate he's young and it's balls not playing any football

The hyper sensitivity re the ex management is bizarre

Perhaps you will let us all know about your clubs Gold(en) years.....

And there's a bit more hyper sensitivity if evidence was needed.....the bad man said something I didn't like so I must have a dig at him about his club as it makes me feel better.

What club, such remains hidden from prying eyes....

Same up the 'Hill.....

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2023, 12:06:46 PM
I see aldergrove beat last night.

1st of the season
Tough division this year, only one going up too
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

JimStynes

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 25, 2023, 12:08:23 PM
Does anyone else get the distinct feeling that some posters  will be all over this discussion thread like a bad rash the minute Antrim get beaten. A couple of good recent wins just dosent suit their agenda.

Andy came onboard when this squad was in absolute rags and is doing a very solid job about rebuilding it. Personally I couldn't give one toss what club a player is from, when he is honoured to be invited into the squad, puts in the sheer hard work, and takes pride in the jersey strongly enough to be a valuable member of the squad,  we should support them.

I've had a pop at plenty of management teams and will be consistent in that regard if and when our current set up goes stale/dressing room becomes lost, but in the interests of balance let's be able to give genuine credit when it is deserved.

And CB, please note that the vast majority on here don't give a fiddlers toss about how many medals people have. If they are along the line they will only be judged on results and even more important in any coaches book, performances.

To call a spade a spade Cargin were extremely lucky to get anything out of the Naomh Conall game last year. They just about stayed in it and then got lucky with the goal and won on pens. They were TURGID against Glen. No shot from play in 1st half, set up not to get hammered. You could argue "we only got beat by" but to any of us we know it may as well ha e been 30points, it was a non event

They've beat other teams in Antrim when the county is at a low ebb, that's it. Haven't made a mark in Ulster bar that penalty win last year. Cannot be compared in the same stratosphere as the St Galls team who went toe to toe with anyone and everyone.

I wish Cargin did win Ulster, i wish they improved our Countys standing, i wish they would throw off the shackles and have a real go in Ulster but fear age has caught up with their better players, the time for that was 5 or more years ago. Just because you win Antrim  when Antrim were at a low ebb does not guarantee all your players start for the County. Shivers can take a point but doesn't move....we  ALL need him to work on that to I prove our County's fare

Compared to the like of a Tomas McCann (who was an absolutely and utterly exceptional footballer for us and a certain starter) he doesn't compare. I'm disappointed he walked away but I appreciate he's young and it's balls not playing any football

And there's a bit more hyper sensitivity if evidence was needed.....the bad man said something I didn't like so I must have a dig at him about his club as it makes me feel better.

Same up the 'Hill.....

I think he's a Crossmaglen man

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2023, 12:28:26 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on May 25, 2023, 12:08:23 PM

Same up the 'Hill.....

I think he's a Crossmaglen man

Hard to tell, same email address for more than a few posters....WUMs

Hoof Hearted

Lads what's the story with Dunloy football
Now I know about all the hurling craic, fair enough, same year in year out
But 1 point in 11 games, from a team who only lost an intermediate final 3 years ago in the final minutes
20 point hammering tonight at home
AND, they're in senior championship this season
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

JimStynes

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 25, 2023, 11:33:36 PM
But 1 point in 11 games, from a team who only lost an intermediate final 3 years ago in the final minutes

If they were intermediate they would be liable to win the thing ffs. Different side come championship

bannside

On the other hand Hoof what happened to your (MG) under 15s last night...I definitely didn't expect that either!

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 25, 2023, 11:33:36 PM

Id say after winning it last year a lot of boys have thought thats them achieved everything they realistically can in football and gonna concentrate on hurling. Cant really blame them, I wouldn't be surprised to see them turn it on in Senior champ when they've everyone back

Milltown Row2

Dunloy are playing with a team of dual players a load of them are actually on the county hurling panel also, so missing out for the hurling team as well, top teams would suffer missing out on that quality player, Dunloy have also...

The modern dual club is finding things hard, the league will always suffer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2023, 08:46:20 AM
Dunloy are playing with a team of dual players a load of them are actually on the county hurling panel also, so missing out for the hurling team as well, top teams would suffer missing out on that quality player, Dunloy have also...

The modern dual club is finding things hard, the league will always suffer

A successful dual club.

barnish oggie

Quote from: bannside on May 26, 2023, 07:26:05 AM
On the other hand Hoof what happened to your (MG) under 15s last night...I definitely didn't expect that either!

I would hazard a guess at exam time causing an issue so potentially they didn't field a full team.

I do know MG were considering asking for the game to be called off but  must have went ahead with what they had.

Really there should be no U15 fixtures on for these 2 or 3 weeks.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 25, 2023, 10:21:39 AM
Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on May 25, 2023, 10:02:04 AM
long time lurker, was looking on county website there, is there no div 2 games this weekend?

After tonight's game it's the end of the regular first round, bar the 2 outstanding games involving Aldergrove
Once that's sorted the 6/6 split will happen

Div 2 split made.......but no fixtures as yet.....
Div one and Div 3 games.....scheduled on Sunday with the exception of Cargin v Casement's (Tuesday 7.30)

Saffrongael

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 26, 2023, 12:10:24 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 25, 2023, 10:21:39 AM
Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on May 25, 2023, 10:02:04 AM
long time lurker, was looking on county website there, is there no div 2 games this weekend?

After tonight's game it's the end of the regular first round, bar the 2 outstanding games involving Aldergrove
Once that's sorted the 6/6 split will happen

Div 2 split made.......but no fixtures as yet.....
Div one and Div 3 games.....scheduled on Sunday with the exception of Cargin v Casement's (Tuesday 7.30)

Full round of Div 2 fixtures this Sunday
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

BrendanAntrim

On the county scene all eyes are on Westmeath tomorrow but worth noting an emphatic win for u16 footballers today v Fermanagh, following some heavy defeats for our juvenile teams this season, tbh is was more encouraging.

antrimman667

Is there any truth in the rumour that all div 2 games are off tommo???