Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Massively important win. Fair play to the entire panel and management. Most important game of the year played in horrendous conditions again.

Particularly impressive that so many new lads have stepped up and seem to have improved game to game. Fiachra C Fennell , CiarĂ¡n McEvoy and James Ryan have started every game. Liam Senior, Frank Flanagan and James Keyes have got a few matches under their belts.

We might not be world beaters but our ability to stay in division 1 year after year is impressive and important.

Good man Ross King again. Our best player in the league.

burdizzo

Frank Flanagan didn't play on Saturday. However, I accept your point - the ones you list certainly are improving and have the right attitude.

G@@

Kilkenny on Sunday at 2pm in O'Moore Park (if the pitch recovers this week). With the win over Carlow and two points on the board, the lads will be happy enough knowing we should be safe for another season of Division 1 hurling. (barring Carlow do the unthinkable and beat Wexford by a cricket score in Wx Park).

I've seen most of our games this league campaign and I think we are coming along and developing nicely as a unit. We are lacking a bit in attack and without Cha our deficiencies there are rather obvious. There will be a bit of interest in this game on Sunday as a novelty with Teacher Cody facing Student Brennan! I hope we can keep it more respectable than the 3-21 to 0-09 they ran out against Carlow.

The lads should be wanting to measure themselves against the de facto benchmark team in the land - Kilkenny have certainly set the standards that are there for teams to reach and while Laois are a bit back in the hunting pack, hopefully the lads can hurl well with the shackles off. Best of luck to them on Sunday.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

blueandwhite1

Thanks Burdizzo. Have edited my post!

Any insights from those who attended? Wasn't in Portlaoise myself on Saturday.

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on February 24, 2020, 10:28:01 AM
Kilkenny on Sunday at 2pm in O'Moore Park (if the pitch recovers this week). With the win over Carlow and two points on the board, the lads will be happy enough knowing we should be safe for another season of Division 1 hurling. (barring Carlow do the unthinkable and beat Wexford by a cricket score in Wx Park).

I've seen most of our games this league campaign and I think we are coming along and developing nicely as a unit. We are lacking a bit in attack and without Cha our deficiencies there are rather obvious. There will be a bit of interest in this game on Sunday as a novelty with Teacher Cody facing Student Brennan! I hope we can keep it more respectable than the 3-21 to 0-09 they ran out against Carlow.

The lads should be wanting to measure themselves against the de facto benchmark team in the land - Kilkenny have certainly set the standards that are there for teams to reach and while Laois are a bit back in the hunting pack, hopefully the lads can hurl well with the shackles off. Best of luck to them on Sunday.

Kk aren't the de facto benchmark team in the land,

Tipp are the all ireland champions and bet Kk handy in the all ireland final,we gave them more of a game in the quarter final than kk did in the final.

Wexford and Limerick are the 2 form teams in league at the minute

All this deference to KK gets my goat.

SCFC

With the win over Carlow and two points on the board, the lads will be happy enough knowing we should be safe for another season of Division 1 hurling. (barring Carlow do the unthinkable and beat Wexford by a cricket score in Wx Park)
Doesn't matter what Carlow do now. We are 100% safe as we have them on the head to head rule.

Zooming around

Quote from: SCFC on February 24, 2020, 12:57:34 PM
With the win over Carlow and two points on the board, the lads will be happy enough knowing we should be safe for another season of Division 1 hurling. (barring Carlow do the unthinkable and beat Wexford by a cricket score in Wx Park)
Doesn't matter what Carlow do now. We are 100% safe as we have them on the head to head rule.

If Carlow win and ourselves and Dublin lose then 3 teams will be tied on 2 points each. Head to head only applies when there are two teams tied. 3 or more teams tied means it goes to score difference.

If we win we are safe.
If Wexford win we are safe.
If Dublin win we are safe.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: clonadmad on February 24, 2020, 12:57:22 PM

Kk aren't the de facto benchmark team in the land, (Over the last 100+ years they have won more All-Irelands than any one else and have competed in more finals, of course they are the de facto benchmark)

Tipp are the all ireland champions and bet Kk handy in the all ireland final,we gave them more of a game in the quarter final than kk did in the final. (we did in our holes. Maybe on the scoreboard. Tipp had several training sessions the same weekend they played us. There is even a rumour they had one on the same day. They were never worried by us, you can be sure they were nervous about Kilkenny. To suggest we were at the same level as KK last year is a fantasy).

Wexford and Limerick are the 2 form teams in league at the minute

All this deference to KK gets my goat. (Clearly, but reality is reality. If we get within 10 points of them next weekend it will be viewed as an achievement).

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on February 24, 2020, 01:22:35 PM

If Carlow win and ourselves and Dublin lose then 3 teams will be tied on 2 points each. Head to head only applies when there are two teams tied. 3 or more teams tied means it goes to score difference.

If we win we are safe. We won't. Will struggle to get 15 fit hurlers onto the pitch.
If Wexford win we are safe. They will. Wexford are flying and want a league title. Carlow are struggling with form and injuries
If Dublin win we are safe. It won't matter

Zooming around

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 24, 2020, 01:25:06 PM

If we win we are safe. We won't. Will struggle to get 15 fit hurlers onto the pitch.
If Wexford win we are safe. They will. Wexford are flying and want a league title. Carlow are struggling with form and injuries
If Dublin win we are safe. It won't matter

I agree with Your opinions and they are probably correct but I was merely pointing out the facts of the matter.

burdizzo

Sorry to be pedantic, but Dublin have 4 points, since they beat both Laois and Carlow. Thus, Laois can't be relegated, no matter what happens next week.

clonadmad

There's a relegation final also between bottom of 1a and 1b to decide which team goes down

Zooming around

Quote from: burdizzo on February 24, 2020, 02:21:07 PM
Sorry to be pedantic, but Dublin have 4 points, since they beat both Laois and Carlow. Thus, Laois can't be relegated, no matter what happens next week.

Yes, of course. My mistake. We're safe regardless which is ideal as management can now try a few things if they want.

redsetanta

No pressure at all going into Sundays game so I can see us winning by 2 points. All the pressure is on KK
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SCFC

If we win we are safe.
If Wexford win we are safe.
If Dublin win we are safe.

Dublin have 4 points. We cannot be relegated.