Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: tom moore83 on July 26, 2010, 05:28:11 PM
Lads. Whatever club your from there is no doubt that Watson was by far Antrims best hurler yesterday. Yes Hippy had a good game but O'Hailpin won two frees, scored a point and laid the hand pass of for the goal. Hippy is an exceptional full back and is probably the best full back Antrim have had for long and many a day. But he is still only 21 and has lots to learn. Because Watson got sent of shouldnt take away from his contribution yesterday.

So whats Watsons excuse then he is an experienced campaigner now?

Milltown Row2

we played St Paul's last night in the South Antrim Championship (for players that aren't graded in the first 15) we had two players that played senior championship last year that weren't graded this year. so they played last nights match.

now, St Paul's are complaining saying we used players that played senior championship, my argument is that they are ungraded and regardless of what they did last year are still eligible to play in the South Antrim cup. am i right?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

funtime frankie

Milltown, it doesn't matter what your argument is, they shouldn't have played. Them's the rules.

I was talking to a fella from St Johns last night and he said Connor McSteen couldn't play because he played 10 minutes in the SHC last year. Apparently Gorts tanked them but they - GNM - also played some boys who played SHC last year. Bottom line here is both Galls and Gorts played ringers.

You'll find that if South Antrim apply the rules then yourselves and Gorts will be put out and the Johnnies and St Pauls will go through. That said the championship rule should relating to a previous year's competition serves no good, especially when there are no senior clubs in the city. Another reason for the need to change this rule is that clubs are struggling to get numbers out and with fellas being ineligible to play depletes already dwindling squads especially at this time of year when lads are away on holidays

Milltown Row2

yeah was speaking to Rossa manager and he said the same. i know these rules did not apply a few years ago so they must be new.

the South Antrim board run these competitions, All County board run senior competitions. if your not graded then want competition can you play in?

In the Ulster intermediate run i played players for 5-10 minutes to give them a run out, to thank them for the effort at training.

but if they are the rules then we will be out.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Crazy rules we should be figuring out ways of getting players playing more often than sitting watching on!

As long as clubs would abide by them and not try to shaft other clubs by playing their good players down the grades for some short term success.

funtime frankie

Thats the problem NAG for years in South Antrim the bigger clubs did use their senior ungraded players to shaft not only the other clubs but people within their own clubs who were playing in the third tier and when championship came along the lads who had lined out all year were brushed to the side. It also killed off the competition as clubs like the Aggies, McDs, O'Ds who fielded teams at South Antrim level had no incentive to participate.

But you are right, we do need to change things to make it easier for players to play - the idea that a fella can't play South Antrim Championship because he played 10 minutes in a SHC match last year is just nuts.

The question is can the clubs be trusted to govern themselves?

NAG1

Exactly but in Belfast the clubs need each other more than ever, unless they realise this then the whole thing is in serious danger!

Milltown Row2

look if a player is ungraded then he can play, surely?

the county ask you to grade 15 players at the start of the year based on who played games for the senior team. after that then an ungraded player should be allowed to play in the ungraded competition that is the South Antrim cup.

if we played non cup tied players, considering our clubs run last year and the panel was small enough, we would not have fielded last night, players were used in games were we won by big scores just so they got a run out. i wouldn't say we are a big club in Belfast for hurling but we've entered teams in the leagues, div 2 and div 4 so that players get hurling to encourage it. now we are being punished for promoting hurling!!!!

funtime frankie

A fairer rule would be that the graded fifteen as well as anybody who has played championship at a higher grade that same year should not be considered as being eligible to play SA championship.

Milltown Row2

probably Frankie, i think though to be fair on the manager of the team he wasn't given a clear message as to what was the ruling.

would a replay be an answer?

have to laugh at St Johns putting in an objection over players being ringers ;D ;D ;D

NAG1

Kettle black and all that!

Still think it is a disgrace that they are playing Intermediate Championship

funtime frankie

They certainly have proved to be too strong for those who have come up against them, however, they haven't won anything yet and it would be wrong and disrespectful to dismiss Carey.

From a Johnnies perspective SHC proved unfruitful and didn't allow them to progress so IHC seemed like a logical step.

What it does show is the gap which exists between the grades in Antrim - for example the Johnnies are too weak for SHC but too strong for IHC. Where do they play?

NAG1

Frankie, i honestly think it says more about their committment to their training and application to their games. There is more than enough talent in their squad to compete but it seems that drinking and carrying on are more important come the summer months.

funtime frankie

I would agree that they sure have some quality but you're right NAG stag weekends and the like come championship don't really go hand in hand.

Hurling needs strong city teams and the Johnnies have the raw material to make a big splash if they apply themselves and hold on to the young talent they have developed. There certainly seems to have been a big change in attitude in Corrigan Park and to be fair I think that they have learned their lessons from their neighbours in Milltown. Their footballers appear to making progress but as they are punching below their weight in the hurling its hard to measure if they have made any progress. Assumimg they can come out of Antrim, attitudes, application and committment will be certainly tested in the trek through Ulster and beyond if they are fortunate enough to get that far.

theskull1

Quote from: funtime frankie on July 27, 2010, 05:39:22 PM
I would agree that they sure have some quality but you're right NAG stag weekends and the like come championship don't really go hand in hand.

Hurling needs strong city teams and the Johnnies have the raw material to make a big splash if they apply themselves and hold on to the young talent they have developed. There certainly seems to have been a big change in attitude in Corrigan Park and to be fair I think that they have learned their lessons from their neighbours in Milltown.

Hurling will become strong again in the city again when city hurling men accross all clubs realise that they need to rely on each other to get the game back on it's feet again accross the whole of west Belfast. Too many kids have never been in through a GAA ground and too many clubs serving their own self interests by not inviting local clubs to play in their own orginised underage blitzes for instance. St Johns and Rossa being the clubs with hurling pedigree need to show the way and offer the hand out to the other clubs who need them to show them the way. Start worrying about beating teams at U14/16. Until then try to encourage all the clubs to get involved in a healthy fun enviroment where the primary focus is getting the skill levels up to the right standard in as many clubs a possible.

Before I get flamed...could I just add that that St Johns team a couple of years ago in U14 was the best side at that age group that I have ever seen in Antrim so don't think I don't know that the talent is there (and in Rossa as well...)...it's the rest of the clubs who need the big two to show them the way to develop a healthy thriving hurling scene?

Is this all alright in theory but totally unworkable in practice perspective?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera