Business attitudes in the current recession.

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 24, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

I am listening to IBEC and the SME business lobbies on the radio every second week talking about the amount of businesses going under due to the credit restrictions put on them by the banks. I wonder however is this the fullstory going on my recent experiences. I work for a reasonably large business, have taken pay cuts etc. so i know there is without doubt hardship out there, but are some businesses still in the "Celtic tiger era" when it comes to thier business philosophies and practices.

The two recent examples are;
1. I was in the market for a brand new car (VW Golf) in the past few weeks, I went to a large midlands garage at 12.45 to look at the car only to be told by the salesman that is was alomst one o clock and could i come back at 2 to see the car. Needless to say i didn't. Finally, i decided to buy the car from a large dealer in Dublin. I rang him to pay the deposit and asked could i pick up the car on a Saturday, I was told no i couldn't as Saturday was their " new customers day" and they wouldn't be in a position to accomodate me. I told him i was about to pay a deposit but still the answer was no. I went up the North bought the car there and the difference in service was unbelievable, they dropped the car to the house for me (Lisburn to Dublin), 2 years full service free of charge and a full tank of Diesel and still managed to save a few quid.

2. The second experience; i am looking to get some work done around the house (approx. 3 grand), the amount of companies i have contacted about this work and between promises of call backs which haven't happened and lads on holidays is astonishing. I have been trying to get someone for a month now and still no joy, i know 3 grand isn't a massive job but i thought someone would be interested.

I am wondering if other posters on here have had similar experiences and are businesses really desperate for work or did the easy credit available to them make them lose their sharpness and their hard work ethic.

haveaharp

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 24, 2010, 02:42:28 PM
I went up the North bought the car there and the difference in service was unbelievable, they dropped the car to the house for me (Lisburn to Dublin), 2 years full service free of charge and a full tank of Diesel and still managed to save a few quid.

That might be as much a cultural thing as anything to do with business practice.

gerrykeegan

I cant understand that, I know about 5/6 lads who work in Dealerships and they are doing everything to keep there jobs. it beggars belief that someone would turn down an inquiry yet alone a pretty much nailed on sale. I'd sack both of them immediately.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: illdecide on March 24, 2010, 02:56:52 PM
R u a protestant?

No, Can't see what that has to do with anything, just someone who likes a bit of customer service and value for money. If only protestants are able to deliver that then thats who i will do business with, i couldn't care less if theyt were Klingons.

armaghniac

I need new PVC windows. I looked at a major vendors website which said showroom open 9am-6pm so I went along. When I arrived a bit of paper in window said showroom closed 1-2pm. So I went off and had lunch nearby and came back. I managed to get into the showroom where there indeed examples of windows and the like. After a long while someone came along and I can you give an example price of a windows of 3m x 2m (or whatever). The reply was ring this number and we'll send someone, I said but I am actually here, just give me a ballpark indication of the prices. But no luck, I was just told to go away. So much for looking for business in construction!

And there is nothing Protestant or un Irish about good customer service. There a plenty of family owned businesses in Ireland that have been looking after their customers for generations.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

I recently put the owner of a large NI car dealership onto a friend's dad who wanted to buy a brand new Range Rover.  This owner guy is dealing with everything himself, and the same guy sorted me out with a new(ish) car last year and did the test drive with me himself, and we're talking about the owner of a business turning over about £90m a year.  It's service like that that has earned him a repeat customer and very good feedback resulting in the sale for him of a new Range Rover.

PS the dealership owner is not a Protestant  :)

illdecide

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 24, 2010, 03:00:30 PM
Quote from: illdecide on March 24, 2010, 02:56:52 PM
R u a protestant?

No, Can't see what that has to do with anything, just someone who likes a bit of customer service and value for money. If only protestants are able to deliver that then thats who i will do business with, i couldn't care less if theyt were Klingons.

Just pulling you're chain saan ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ziggysego

Quote from: Rois on March 24, 2010, 03:03:54 PM
I recently put the owner of a large NI car dealership onto a friend's dad who wanted to buy a brand new Range Rover.  This owner guy is dealing with everything himself, and the same guy sorted me out with a new(ish) car last year and did the test drive with me himself, and we're talking about the owner of a business turning over about £90m a year.  It's service like that that has earned him a repeat customer and very good feedback resulting in the sale for him of a new Range Rover.

An Gaeilgoir's a bloke, you're not.

Did he give you his number? ;)
Testing Accessibility

Rois

Typical bloke.

I can be quite effective in business as well Ziggy!