All Ireland U20 2019

Started by omagh_gael, July 14, 2019, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2019, 11:16:28 AM
Could u20 only have a 2 year existence?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/review-set-to-urge-u19-as-only-inter-county-under-age-grade-941408.html

Should have went down this road when originally changing the grades. Minor grade has lost a lot of its appeal as it involves kids too early on in their development. 15 and 16 year olds five or six years away from adult football. Then the jump from this grade to U20 is unnecessarily challenging. Only exceptionally developed kids are ready for U20 football straight out of the U17 grade. Sticking this barrier in at the exact age range where drop out rates are already highest does not seem very wise.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

thewobbler

The underlying point of moving minor to u17 was to clearly differentiate between adult and juvenile players, and therefore alleviate the burnout of talented youngsters. It also had a nice knock on effect of reducing football commitments during final exams period.

So for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone could support the creation of an under-19 tournament, which simply would add all this crap back in again, and and for two full years for the more talented players.

Madness.

Captain Obvious

I'd loved the U21 championship the best and most competitive championship we had and I would never miss a game when on TV.
Only for Ed Ricketts post I would have forgotten completely about this All Ireland final and I'm sure not the only one that nearly forgot about this game. Thanks to Páraic Duffy we have this devalued replacement tournament that holds little interest to the general public and already there is talk about a change to U19 championship now  ::)

Blowitupref

A lively opening 15 minutes. Dublin 1-6 without reply then Cork with 2-1.  Dublin 1-7 Cork 2-1
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dublin7

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 03, 2019, 04:15:47 PM
A lively opening 15 minutes. Dublin 1-6 without reply then Cork with 2-1.  Dublin 1-7 Cork 2-1
Dubs have outclassed Cork and yet Cork get 2 goals in a minute and scores are level.

Blowitupref

22 minutes played.  Dublin 9 scores from 13 attempts and Cork 7 from 9. Dublin 1-8 Cork 3-2
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Some half of football and some come back by Cork to lead by 2 points.  HT Cork 3-6 Dublin 1-10.

kerryforsam19

Cork should win handy
Have the wind for second half. Cork by 6

dublin7

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 03, 2019, 04:33:27 PM
Some half of football and some come back by Cork to lead by 2 points.  HT Cork 3-6 Dublin 1-10.

Really entertaining game. 2 quick goals settled Cork and both teams playing attacking football. Cork FF line is lethal and there are more goals coming in the 2nd half. Cork with a strong breeze in their favour as well

befair

Great match; show's what a brilliant game GAA football can be without the unimaginative defensive tactics

Captain Obvious

Quote from: befair on August 03, 2019, 04:42:15 PM
Great match; show's what a brilliant game GAA football can be without the unimaginative defensive tactics

Great game in the terms of attacking play but can you imagine the current Dublin senior team defending as loosely as that U20 team?

Blowitupref

42 mins played Cork hold a 3 point lead.  Cork 3-9 Dublin 1-12

themac_23

This is the way football should be played

Blowitupref

A six point lead for Cork 50 minutes played.  Cork 3-13 Dublin 1-13.

Baile an tuaigh

I'd say the Tyrone boys are kicking themselves.