Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2017, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2017, 12:50:20 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on August 02, 2017, 12:34:06 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2017, 12:10:35 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on August 02, 2017, 11:53:10 AM
The point is if a cyclist is an idiot (of which clearly there are some) they are moving at relatively low speed on a machine weighing under 10kgs. If a motorist is an idiot he is likely in a machine weighing enough to maim, crush, kill someone should they hit a cyclist. The arrogance of some on this thread is quite astounding.

Some! Have you looked at those videos? What strikes one about those clips is that they are perfectly everyday. The behaviour illustrated is not exceptional - we see it all the time. In every example, more cyclists are breaking red lights than aren't.

So it's not just SOME cyclists who are dangerous, arrogant idiots. It's a very large proportion, if not a majority in some cases. They insist on equal status with motorised traffic by militantly asserting their supposed right to hold up road users whose normal pace is higher than theirs, but at the same time insist on ignoring the laws and rules that all but a minuscule percentage of the rest of road users obey.

How many cars, buses or trucks did you see breaking red lights while cyclists were merrily ignoring them? That's the whole point of what we're talking about here.

And I'm sorry, but the argument that it's OK as they're small and won't do much damage is idiotic.

Idiotic ? Get hit by a cyclist or a truck or jeep, hmmmnn which one is least likely to kill you ?

If that was the only consideration in determining the rules of the road then, yes, as you stated in your first quoted post, that would be "the point".

I think the point of this thread is the fact that a large proportion of cyclists flout the rules of the road with effective impunity, causing danger to themselves and, more importantly, others. If you want the point to be the comparative capabilities of bikes and buses to hurt people, fire away and start a thread with that point.

The point of the thread would be the title? should they pay tax? Yes, as long as its put back to cycle safety like road tax would be for road safety of cars... next some people be looking for taxing people to wald the pavements as you get plenty pricks doing that also.

threads get hijacked along the way and most go on the petty route and its lost, people take it thick and a lot of name calling to annoymous posters... found a nice video of our careful drivers out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmALmLjWIN4

Here's a nice video of some elephants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8em4uPdCg

Hardy

Quote from: johnneycool on August 02, 2017, 01:30:39 PM
The point is if a cyclist is an idiot (of which clearly there are some) they are moving at relatively low speed on a machine weighing under 10kgs. If a motorist is an idiot he is likely in a machine weighing enough to maim, crush, kill someone should they hit a cyclist. The arrogance of some on this thread is quite astounding.

Some! Have you looked at those videos? What strikes one about those clips is that they are perfectly everyday. The behaviour illustrated is not exceptional - we see it all the time. In every example, more cyclists are breaking red lights than aren't.

So it's not just SOME cyclists who are dangerous, arrogant idiots. It's a very large proportion, if not a majority in some cases. They insist on equal status with motorised traffic by militantly asserting their supposed right to hold up road users whose normal pace is higher than theirs, but at the same time insist on ignoring the laws and rules that all but a minuscule percentage of the rest of road users obey.

How many cars, buses or trucks did you see breaking red lights while cyclists were merrily ignoring them? That's the whole point of what we're talking about here.

And I'm sorry, but the argument that it's OK as they're small and won't do much damage is idiotic.

Hardy,
   if you saw this cycling up the Navan Road I'm sure you'd soon change your mind on the lycra!!

Still too much lycra.  :P

Eamonnca1

If that was the only consideration in determining the rules of the road then, yes, as you stated in your first quoted post, that would be "the point".

I think the point of this thread is the fact that a large proportion of cyclists flout the rules of the road with effective impunity, causing danger to themselves and, more importantly, others. If you want the point to be the comparative capabilities of bikes and buses to hurt people, fire away and start a thread with that point.

The day when motorists start obeying the traffic laws will be the day when I start listening to their sanctimonious advice about the rules of the road.

punt kick

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 02, 2017, 05:14:47 PM

The day when motorists start obeying the traffic laws will be the day when I start listening to their sanctimonious advice about the rules of the road.

That day might come when your arrogant attitude gets you or someone else seriously hurt.  You really are a typical arrogant p***k of a cyclist.

bennydorano

Why is this always such an emotive issue? I've read more sensible contributions on a dailymailonline immigration discussion.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: punt kick on August 02, 2017, 05:30:37 PM
That day might come when your arrogant attitude gets you or someone else seriously hurt.
Is that supposed to be some sort of threat?

You really are a typical arrogant p***k of a cyclist.

Says one who thinks the road is his own private property and probably thinks speed limits are advisory. Shower of sanctimonious cretins, the whole bleedin' lot of ya!

Fat Angry Motorist

And it was at this point that I realised that this thread was a wind up.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Tonto on August 01, 2017, 11:09:12 AM
As a casual cyclist (i.e. Out by myself, not in a club, not racing) opinions like the ones on this thread scare the absolute crap out of me.

I'm a driver too and it frustrates me to see cyclists flouting the rules of the road knowing that other drivers are observing this and treating all cyclists as a menace. In fact I would argue that with every road law a cyclist breaks they put another cyclist in danger of a road rage incident.

There is definitely an arrogance and misunderstanding on both sides. I just hope that when people see me out on the road (in Lycra!) they don't see the "cyclist" that for example  jumped onto the pavement to avoid a red light but they might actually consider that I'm a dad, husband, son and brother.

If Carlsberg did GAA Board posts
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

Hardy

punt kick

Taylor

One can only assume he was full of liquor when he was posting on this thread previously.

If not I would have worries about the man

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Gabriel_Hurl

Did a cyclist run away with punt kick's woman (or fella - it is 2017 after all) or something? He seems very angry with them?

Hardy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 03, 2017, 07:43:09 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 01, 2017, 01:27:01 PM
Great post Hardy

No. It's a terrible post.

Sad. The head of the Boy Scouts of America called and said it was the best post ever on the internet.