Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

been having a few space problems in the D drive, I have found some folders in both the C and D drives including a Windows file which is 5.38 GBs and was created in Feb last year when I thought I had reformated the computer. can I delete the ones in the D drive without messing the computer up?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

heganboy

look at the properties of the folder and check the date the folder was last modified, that will tell you if you are using it...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Square Ball

Quote from: heganboy on June 05, 2012, 01:36:12 PM
look at the properties of the folder and check the date the folder was last modified, that will tell you if you are using it...

there is no modified date on them, only dates created, D 12/02/11, C 20/07/2006

Hardy

Right-click anywhere in the column title bar (the bar at the top where it has the column headers Name, Type, Size, etc.). Select "Date Modified" from the list and this will then appear as a column header.

Square Ball

In the D drive the dates are created dates with only a few have modified dates

bigfrank

I have been tryin to watch the us open golf online this past hour but any decent link is being ruined with pop ups and stupid links..slowin up the stream and being very annoyin.im watchin on internet explorer..does anyone use a free blocker to stop this? or should i change to google chrome or firefox etc as i heard they stream faster and maybe a free blocker is available with them..thanks

spuds

Laptop crashed earlier and eventually got it back up running OK, only thing is that it all videos are not playing as in Youtube etc. Any suggestions ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: spuds on June 15, 2012, 12:35:11 PM
Laptop crashed earlier and eventually got it back up running OK, only thing is that it all videos are not playing as in Youtube etc. Any suggestions ?

Possibly need flash player installed.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Armaghgeddon

Found an add on for firefox called freecorder. You can rip audio from youtube videos, download videos and convert them

spuds

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on June 15, 2012, 01:01:44 PM
Quote from: spuds on June 15, 2012, 12:35:11 PM

Possibly need flash player installed.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Installed that Adobe yoke link and the laptop slowed down to unusuable levels. Started uninstalling the Adobes starting with the one above and checked after this and is working again, even if saying plugin needed to see all features. Thanks Mhic Easmuint.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Abble

Currently experiencing a problem with my youtube.
I'd be starting some video of anything in youtube but i can then hear this other background noise. it's other video's (video ad) opening up elsewhere on the page, so i either have to try and close them down or try mute on them individually. by time i get all that done the original video i wanted to see is half over !!!!

anyone know what's happened or how i can stop this ?! only started v recently.

i should add, it is only occurring on my machine at home while logged in, it's working perfectly elsewhere while logged in, eg in the office or at friends, etc

Abble

Quote from: Abble on July 30, 2012, 01:51:15 PM
Currently experiencing a problem with my youtube.
I'd be starting some video of anything in youtube but i can then hear this other background noise. it's other video's (video ad) opening up elsewhere on the page, so i either have to try and close them down or try mute on them individually. by time i get all that done the original video i wanted to see is half over !!!!

anyone know what's happened or how i can stop this ?! only started v recently.

i should add, it is only occurring on my machine at home while logged in, it's working perfectly elsewhere while logged in, eg in the office or at friends, etc

IGNORE
got this sorted, ran my malwarebytes and it found a couple of trojans and some ad software/virus. cleaned it up and now running normal again.

downgirl

Hi all,

I was trying to put some new cd's onto my itunes on my laptop today however it seemed to recognise some cd's ok but others it isn't recognising at all; when I put the cd's in they whirr around and then stop a few times but when I go into my computer it isn't showing a disc being in the drive.  I tried it with loads of different cd's and dvd's but it's still the same.  I have checked the device manager for updates to the CD-ROM driver but it came back saying windows has determined the driver software for the device is up to date.  I also checked to see if the device has been disabled but that wasn't the case either, so I am a bit stuck, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!  :)

If I have to bring it to someone to fix it roughly how long should it take and cost?

Laptop is Dell Studio 15, Drive is Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S ATA Device.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: downgirl on August 05, 2012, 05:42:09 PM
Hi all,

I was trying to put some new cd's onto my itunes on my laptop today however it seemed to recognise some cd's ok but others it isn't recognising at all; when I put the cd's in they whirr around and then stop a few times but when I go into my computer it isn't showing a disc being in the drive.  I tried it with loads of different cd's and dvd's but it's still the same.  I have checked the device manager for updates to the CD-ROM driver but it came back saying windows has determined the driver software for the device is up to date.  I also checked to see if the device has been disabled but that wasn't the case either, so I am a bit stuck, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!  :)

If I have to bring it to someone to fix it roughly how long should it take and cost?

Laptop is Dell Studio 15, Drive is Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S ATA Device.

Is it recognising some cds and not others or is it not recognising any at all. Some CDs have extra protection to prevent them being read on pc's.

Main Street

Have you checked the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter?
Though the claimed ability to troubleshoot is a bit of an exaggeration.
Control Panel  --> Hardware and Sound -->Troubleshooting --> Configure a device.

These components, like Dell Laptop cd/dvd devices (if faulty) aren't repaired, they are the lowest build quality, You can find a replacement on eBay and then it has to be installed.
Other option is to buy an external cd/dvd drive, connect to laptop by usb.  Same price probably and no need to pay to have it installed. Samsung make some reliable externals.