Drug testing in the GAA may be introduced to clubs

Started by imtommygunn, November 29, 2022, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: toby47 on November 29, 2022, 12:06:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 12:01:56 PM
Cocaine is a massive societal problem in the UK and Ireland at the minute. Something needs done.

Yeah, it's mental at the minute. I walked into the toilet of a pub about a month ago and 4 fella's (early 20's) were standing dipping keys into a bag (i assume cocaine) and sniffing it. Not in cubicles, right beside the urinals me and one other fella was using. I was in utter shock, obviously in shock at seeing ones do it, but also at the carefree nature, they never batted an eye lid at me walking past them doing it. 2 free cubicles and they just decided to do it in the middle of the toilets for everyone to see.
Yeah that'd be a common occurrence in an awful lot of places now unfortunately. That shite absolutely ruins lives but has become completely normalised, something genuinely needs to change.

Jeez oh, mad how unfazed they were doing this in front of a randomer. I didn't think it would be a common occurrence.

With it being such a big societal problem, it would be interesting to see if every club gaa player in Ireland was tested, what % would be flagged up.

Truth hurts

Quote from: toby47 on November 29, 2022, 01:53:00 PM
Cocaine is a massive societal problem in the UK and Ireland at the minute. Something needs done.

Yeah, it's mental at the minute. I walked into the toilet of a pub about a month ago and 4 fella's (early 20's) were standing dipping keys into a bag (i assume cocaine) and sniffing it. Not in cubicles, right beside the urinals me and one other fella was using. I was in utter shock, obviously in shock at seeing ones do it, but also at the carefree nature, they never batted an eye lid at me walking past them doing it. 2 free cubicles and they just decided to do it in the middle of the toilets for everyone to see.
Yeah that'd be a common occurrence in an awful lot of places now unfortunately. That shite absolutely ruins lives but has become completely normalised, something genuinely needs to change.

Jeez oh, mad how unfazed they were doing this in front of a randomer. I didn't think it would be a common occurrence.

With it being such a big societal problem, it would be interesting to see if every club gaa player in Ireland was tested, what % would be flagged up.
in cocaine circa 70%

Eire90

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 29, 2022, 02:03:50 PM

in cocaine circa 70%

your saying  percent of gaa players are on  coke

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

New development in recent years is how some rural areas seem to have overtaken urban with the use of drugs-cocaine especially

Eire90

in cocaine circa 70%

you are saying 70 percent of gaa players are on coke.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Eire90 on November 29, 2022, 02:09:25 PM

in cocaine circa 70%

18-30 years olds in society in Ireland I would hazard a guess of that amount so would GAA players be any different. Taking coke is like get a bottle of buckfast for young lads

clarshack

I must lead a very sheltered life as I've never ever been offered cocaine ever, but even if I was at some point in the future I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, and I've certainly never seen anything like the scenario above. I guess my kids when they are older will do well to avoid exposure to it and I'd like to think they wouldn't touch it either but with peer pressure you never know.

Eire90

i know its really gotten bad i would have thought maybe 50 percent of gaa might be on  70 percent does seem that outrageous tho i can see where you coming from.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on November 29, 2022, 02:09:25 PM

in cocaine circa 70%

Wouldn't say he's far wrong unfortunately. It's been said on here before and I've actually heard young lads saying it myself that they'd rather take coke on a saturday because you'll not have a hangover and be fit to train Sunday morning

themac_23

Don't see how drug testing of club players would work, where would you draw the line? anyone playing, so after a junior b game which is recreational they could test? or just div 1/ Senior Championship.

I think getting into the whole recreational aspect of drugs isnt really the place of the GAA, a lot of lads take cocaine recreationally, doesn't automatically lead to a drug problem for them, likewise lads having a drink doesn't lead to a drink problem.

I think you'd actually see a bigger drop off in playing numbers of lads 18-25 if there was drug testing, more to do with the shame they'd feel at home if they did fail a test.

As someone said, the concerning thing is how normalised its become, lads I know literally cant go for 1-2 pints without thinking about cocaine, though these lads wouldn't be into sport.

as a society we need to look at it, but banning young lads from football for testing positive for a recreational drug isnt the way in my opinion

Eire90

is taking a drug that makes your heart beat faster and can  cause heart problems not dangerous to be going training the morning after would it not be better to wait a few days if you have to do it.

RedHand88

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 29, 2022, 02:09:04 PM
New development in recent years is how some rural areas seem to have overtaken urban with the use of drugs-cocaine especially

That's been my experience. You would be shocked by how much talk of it I've heard in rural Tyrone. Its becoming mainstream.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 29, 2022, 02:52:53 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 29, 2022, 02:09:04 PM

That's been my experience. You would be shocked by how much talk of it I've heard in rural Tyrone. Its becoming mainstream.
Yeah completely normalised, as handy and probably cheaper than drinking all night. Madness

pbat

Its time drug testing was implemented on sites in the South, same as across the water.

Armagh18

Quote from: pbat on November 29, 2022, 03:06:43 PM
Its time drug testing was implemented on sites in the South, same as across the water.
Already happens on certain sites along with alcohol testing.