Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 01, 2022, 04:36:28 PM
A few things that could be done to help prevent this are,
Limiting the number of people inside the wire.
Only those inside the wire are the starting players, limited number of subs eg. 5  one medic and 2 of the management team (they are not allowed inside unless they have they required vetting, safeguarding and coaching certs). All names on the team sheet. Only club officials who have underwent official GAA training for umpiring or linesman can do that role.
Meaning clubs would need to ensure everyone has the required training if the person is to be inside the wire.
Would stop the local lunatic being involved as they see themselves above training courses. Would also mean the club would need to put a lot people forward for the training to ensure someone can be inside the wire.
Strong sanctions on anyone entering the playing area if not one of the listed names on the team sheets.

By the looks of the video he was one of the teams management and should have been on the teamsheet.

The club gets put out of that competition unless they put the culprit up for sanctions due to his actions. I'd say every dog in the area know exactly who he is.

yellowcard

The level of physical violence in the game has probably never been lower but these incidents get highlighted a lot more now through phone video footage and social media.

That clip is very disturbing because it is a team official assaulting a referee. You would have to question the character of the official who attacked the referee since that is not in any way normal behaviour.   

general_lee

WhatsApp doing the rounds names him as "psycho kenny" so obviously an individual with a reputation. Apparently it was only 30 seconds into the game. No ambiguity here, lifetime ban.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: johnnycool on September 01, 2022, 04:49:33 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 01, 2022, 04:36:28 PM
A few things that could be done to help prevent this are,
Limiting the number of people inside the wire.
Only those inside the wire are the starting players, limited number of subs eg. 5  one medic and 2 of the management team (they are not allowed inside unless they have they required vetting, safeguarding and coaching certs). All names on the team sheet. Only club officials who have underwent official GAA training for umpiring or linesman can do that role.
Meaning clubs would need to ensure everyone has the required training if the person is to be inside the wire.
Would stop the local lunatic being involved as they see themselves above training courses. Would also mean the club would need to put a lot people forward for the training to ensure someone can be inside the wire.
Strong sanctions on anyone entering the playing area if not one of the listed names on the team sheets.

By the looks of the video he was one of the teams management and should have been on the teamsheet.

The club gets put out of that competition unless they put the culprit up for sanctions due to his actions. I'd say every dog in the area know exactly who he is.

Looks like he is a mentor. What I am saying is you can only become a mentor once you are vetted and done the relevant coaching and safeguarding courses. The person here may be vetted and have the relevant courses, but something like this should strip you of all that and prevent him ever being a mentor again.

Do you know who has vetting and coaching qualifications in your club? It should be the minimum requirement to deter the local head cases having a negative impact on everyone they encounter. As far as I can see there is little to no barriers to prevent the wrong people being involved.

Eire90

back in the day would he not be getting a visit by people with no faces

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 01, 2022, 03:58:51 PM
We had an amazing experience where one of our underage players was physically attacked by adults and players in Antrim league.

Guess what because we weren't from Antrim the referee didn't notice it, nothing in his report at all about pitch invasion and assaults. He was right beside it lol

Well I was right besides some stuff that was supposed to happen and I didn't see it and was asked why I didn't see it and I answered I didn't see it, got to watch it back as it was recorded and low and behold, there was nothing to see!! You couldn't make it up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Ref discharged from Hospital today so hopefully all well with him.
Hopefully St Aidans do the right thing no matter what outcome from Co Board or any criminal investigations.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 01, 2022, 05:17:07 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 01, 2022, 03:58:51 PM
We had an amazing experience where one of our underage players was physically attacked by adults and players in Antrim league.

Guess what because we weren't from Antrim the referee didn't notice it, nothing in his report at all about pitch invasion and assaults. He was right beside it lol

Well I was right besides some stuff that was supposed to happen and I didn't see it and was asked why I didn't see it and I answered I didn't see it, got to watch it back as it was recorded and low and behold, there was nothing to see!! You couldn't make it up

Ye only thing was this wasn't like that. Gaeil an tsléibhe dhuibh. Gather up of thugs. Our lad ended up in royal a and é. Couldn't take their beating

Sportacus

It's a weird aspect that this is said to have happened 30 seconds into the game.  I've never seen anyone get that angry in 30 seconds, after one decision?  It looks premeditated.   

Itchy

Quote from: general_lee on September 01, 2022, 04:58:23 PM
WhatsApp doing the rounds names him as "psycho kenny" so obviously an individual with a reputation. Apparently it was only 30 seconds into the game. No ambiguity here, lifetime ban.

Also alleges a head butt, what a dirty coward. The club should get out ahead of the GAA and ban him for life from their club.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Sportacus on September 01, 2022, 08:54:57 PM
It's a weird aspect that this is said to have happened 30 seconds into the game.  I've never seen anyone get that angry in 30 seconds, after one decision?  It looks premeditated.

it was the start of the 2nd half.  From.the look and lack of movement of people on the sideline I am.not sure it was a headbutt or punch...

either way, you enter the field of play and touch a ref you deserve a big ban and whatever else comes his way...

Eire90

should a guy with anger issues be in that environment

imtommygunn

A life ban and prosecution is what the guy should be getting. Should be nowhere near a gaa club ever again in any capacity other than spectator and even at that.

Wildweasel74

Simple matter, an issue like this requires Garda involvement, not the Gaa hiding behind we sort it out with shitty sanctions, How someone like this is even Involved in underage games says something about the club he represents.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: general_lee on September 01, 2022, 04:58:23 PM

Psycho Kenny? Que est que c'est?
Sorry, not to downplay the thread, but the song came into my head.

Back on topic, I agree with those that say this should be dealt with by AGS. Common assault (if that is the case here) on a GAA pitch should be no different to anywhere else.
Should note though, that the video I have seen does not show what has happened, but interviews with relevant people should be enough to clarify.
Hasta la victoria siempre