Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on June 26, 2022, 10:12:00 PM
Hope Seán Kelly gets his suspension over-turned and is available for the semi-final.

How he was sent off and Comer wasn't is shocking.

As a Derry man I'd like to see Kelly get off also. He doesn't look a dirty player and it didn't look like he did much. Hopefully both teams at full strength and let the best team win.

Gael80

Galway were very impressive today, they have the defence and forward line to win an All Ireland. Derry have also been good this season but league is very competitive and Galway found a way to beat the Derry system that day with little trouble. I'm sure Derry will learn from it but I'm not sure they'll be able to turn such a big defeat around so quickly. I think Galway will win this and give the final a right go.

galwayman

Quote from: JoG2 on June 26, 2022, 10:29:26 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2022, 08:46:52 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 26, 2022, 08:42:32 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2022, 08:23:53 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 26, 2022, 08:09:28 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM
Think it's a toss up at this stage. A lot will depend on Galway injuries and any suspensions that might come their way!
And will depend if Galway management has the street smarts to drop Gleeson in goal. Rory Gallagher will be doing some amount of spitting on his hands if he starts.
They won't drop Gleeson not a chance.
Anyone that watches us on a regular basis knows how much of a liability he is.
But they are not about to drop him now for a guy that's never played even a league game

What about putting an out-field goalie in nets?

Qho's the 3rd mid-fielder for Galway?
Genuinely we barely have a midfielder on the panel.
Conroy Tierney Niall Daly play there from time to time.
McDaid isn't a midfielder.
Like it's been well flagged for the last two years now how poor he is.
Maybe today is the day the wider public have seen it

You're awful sore on players representing your county.
Why do you say that!
Im just Pointing out that our keeper isn't up to county standard and those of us that watch this team regularly have known that long before today.
Aside from that - absolutely delighted with the win.
Made hard work of it but a win is a win

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2022, 10:53:09 PM
Think it's a toss up at this stage. A lot will depend on Galway injuries and any suspensions that might come their way!
And will depend if Galway management has the street smarts to drop Gleeson in goal. Rory Gallagher will be doing some amount of spitting on his hands if he starts.
But they are not about to drop him now for a guy that's never played even a league game

Why do you say that!
Im just Pointing out that our keeper isn't up to county standard and those of us that watch this team regularly have known that long before today.

Neither is the Derry keeper

Saffrongael

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 26, 2022, 10:58:06 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2022, 10:53:09 PM

Why do you say that!

Neither is the Derry keeper

He looks very dodgy, slow on his feet
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Blowitupref

Quote from: Gael80 on June 26, 2022, 10:46:22 PM
Galway were very impressive today, they have the defence and forward line to win an All Ireland. Derry have also been good this season but league is very competitive and Galway found a way to beat the Derry system that day with little trouble. I'm sure Derry will learn from it but I'm not sure they'll be able to turn such a big defeat around so quickly. I think Galway will win this and give the final a right go.

Galway have a forward line and in Tierney, Conroy midfield partnership good enough to challenge for the All-Ireland but defensive and goalkeeping issues are clearly there teams that go on to win the All-Ireland don't concede the high scores Galway concede and are able to close games out better. That wasn't a once off for Galway today either.

Not sure what relevance the league encounter will have. Derry have stepped up a lot from then including improved system of play.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2022, 10:27:19 PM
Bookies have us one point favourites.

It's a fascinating game especially given the league meeting where Galway beat us out the gate. As far as I remember we were only missing McGuigan that day but we've obviously done so much work since then and improved massively.

Really really looking forward to it!!

That heavy defeat in Owenbeg can only work in Derry's favour.

Gael80

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2022, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 26, 2022, 10:46:22 PM

Galway have a forward line and in Tierney, Conroy midfield partnership good enough to challenge for the All-Ireland but defensive and goalkeeping issues are clearly there teams that go on to win the All-Ireland don't concede the high scores Galway concede and are able to close games out better. That wasn't a once off for Galway today either.

Not sure what relevance the league encounter will have. Derry have stepped up a lot from then including improved system of play.

Galway have weaknesses for sure but I think you could say the same about the other three teams left. I just feel today's win will turn out to be very significant and Galway will play in an All Ireland Final, one they've the team to win.

seanyb

Will Derry revert to their home jersey for this game? They've played all their games this championship season in the alternative red top

Wildweasel74

It be battle of the keepers, Derry keeper was cause of 2 goals and a foul on Rodgers the other, as Galway had 3 goals scored early ending the game after 20mins in owenbeg. Derry have improved massively but some forwards are not taking responsibility for scoring leaving it all on McGuigan. Am not overly happy with the forwards but we little else on the panel.

Wildweasel74

Galway a definite bogey team for Derry, we don't beat them often over the yrs even in the league. Galway denied Derry in 98 when they were strong favourites. Beat Derry in 2001, this time Galway were favourites but Derry had them beat only to do a melt down 5pts up with 64mins on the clock.

onefineday

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 12:28:50 AM
Galway a definite bogey team for Derry, we don't beat them often over the yrs even on the league. Galway denied Derry in 98 when they were strong favourites. Beat Derry in 2001, this time Galway were favourites but Derry had them beat only to do a melt down 5pts up with 64mins on the clock.
They also beat us down in Galway in 2014/15 in a qualifier, and an all Ireland minor semi and final too.

Taylor

Galway will not win this game.

They dont have the players to break down the Derry system - Armagh held them at bay for long periods yesterday when they had their defensive structure in place.

And going by what we saw at the weekend Derry will give the final a brave rattle as well

imtommygunn

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 08:24:03 AM
Galway will not win this game.

They dont have the players to break down the Derry system - Armagh held them at bay for long periods yesterday when they had their defensive structure in place.

And going by what we saw at the weekend Derry will give the final a brave rattle as well

I think Walsh, Comer and Finnerty are as well placed as anyone to break down the Derry system.

Also it will be interesting if Kelly plays. If he doesn't then that's their main man marker for McGuigan gone. That for me will be a big factor but I'd be shocked if Kelly doesn't play.