Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: delgany on July 01, 2022, 09:46:36 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 01, 2022, 08:27:31 PM
What number was the third Armagh player to be sanctioned wearing (aside from Kelly and Nugent)?
The number 27 I assume was it?

16 - sub keeper Hughes ???
Ah right. Out of everyone else (apart from Cathal Sweeney) I thought 27 would get done.
Ran in, grabbed a lad from behind in a headlock and dragged him to the ground.
Anyhow - just heard Sean Kelly Clare's to ply in the semi final

pbat

Blaine Hughes the Armagh sub keeper has the 27 number bib on him.

galwayman

Quote from: pbat on July 01, 2022, 10:15:13 PM
Blaine Hughes the Armagh sub keeper has the 27 number bib on him.
That makes sense so.

Throw ball

Good to see Sean Kelly cleared.

Since the match I have read and heard much vitriol against Armagh and individual players which as a proud Armagh and GAA man I find hard to take. By not appealing Nugent's card the County Board have obviously decided that dragging things on any further won't help the county. Harsh on Nugent.

TK was wrong, has accepted his punishment and should be allowed to move on. Some people need to realise how dangerous their anonymous comments can be to the person on the receiving end. Society is in a severe crisis with this type of thing.

Some have pointed out that Armagh must be to blame as they have been involved in 3 melees in the past year. But in truth a melee can only develop if both teams get involved.  On all occasions blame has to be shared.

Watching this current Armagh team play football is properly entertaining. They have been involved in high profile games in the last few years that have been among the most exciting of the year - v Roscommon in Portloaise,  Mayo in Castlebar, Monaghan in Newry and Galway in Croke Park to name a few. They play football. They play with pace on their good days.

I do wonder if the poor press will effect how their games are refereed going forward. But I would rather watch them play than watch some of the slow hand passing, side to side teams there are out there. Teams that are 'cute' .

Good luck to the teams left in the championship.  Let's hope for some colour and excitement.

galwayman

Quote from: Throw ball on July 02, 2022, 10:34:11 AM
Good to see Sean Kelly cleared.

Since the match I have read and heard much vitriol against Armagh and individual players which as a proud Armagh and GAA man I find hard to take. By not appealing Nugent's card the County Board have obviously decided that dragging things on any further won't help the county. Harsh on Nugent.

TK was wrong, has accepted his punishment and should be allowed to move on. Some people need to realise how dangerous their anonymous comments can be to the person on the receiving end. Society is in a severe crisis with this type of thing.

Some have pointed out that Armagh must be to blame as they have been involved in 3 melees in the past year. But in truth a melee can only develop if both teams get involved.  On all occasions blame has to be shared.

Watching this current Armagh team play football is properly entertaining. They have been involved in high profile games in the last few years that have been among the most exciting of the year - v Roscommon in Portloaise,  Mayo in Castlebar, Monaghan in Newry and Galway in Croke Park to name a few. They play football. They play with pace on their good days.

I do wonder if the poor press will effect how their games are refereed going forward. But I would rather watch them play than watch some of the slow hand passing, side to side teams there are out there. Teams that are 'cute' .

Good luck to the teams left in the championship.  Let's hope for some colour and excitement.
I can see why they didn't appeal it (i.e. be seen to accept their punishment etc.) but it is extremely harsh on Nugent who did nothing.

imtommygunn

Yeah he will miss a game with much less significance. You would imagine it's PR tbh.(not a dig at Armagh - anyone in their position would do it)

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2022, 10:57:14 AM
Yeah he will miss a game with much less significance. You would imagine it's PR tbh.(not a dig at Armagh - anyone in their position would do it)

I think Armagh did the right thing. However, it would be odd if the first league game was Armagh v Galway and Kelly played while Nugent did not
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

APM

Quote from: armaghniac on July 02, 2022, 12:37:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2022, 10:57:14 AM

I think Armagh did the right thing. However, it would be odd if the first league game was Armagh v Galway and Kelly played while Nugent did not

To be fair, Sean Kelly wouldn't miss the first game of the league anyway.  So Kelly could serve his suspension and play the first game of the league. 

Considering the broader issue of Armagh's involvement in these rows:
I think the county board need to be having a word with McGeeney & the players on this stuff. Not just because we're developing a reputation. There may be a time & place for this kind of thing in the development of a team (albeit in general it's not good, is it?).  However, we have got involved at the wrong time and wrong place where it done way more harm than good, getting involved in this crap. 

The only one where I would have any sympathy was in the Tyrone match, where Tyrone (and one player in particular) was the clear instigator and it suited Armagh to see the game out. 

Both melees against Donegal and Galway were particularly brainless and ultimately suited the opposition. 

armaghniac

Quote from: APM on July 02, 2022, 01:42:35 PM
Both melees against Donegal and Galway were particularly brainless and ultimately suited the opposition.

I think the Armagh setup need to reflect on this. The object should be to win games, standing up for yourself in the melee should not be an objective if it interferes with winning. Some things that go on, e.g. pointless fouls giving away points, slabbering about frees and getting them moved up and wild challenges that end up with people getting sent off, are not helping winning games.
Armagh drew with Galway, one more point would have done the job and discipline is part of the solution to getting that point. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Disgrace that Nugent hasn't been let off, shouldn't have to appeal when the authorities and everybody in the country know he was incorrectly sent off.

Can he appeal or do Armagh have the final say? I'd be raging if I were him, would also feel let down by Armagh.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

balladmaker

Quote from: armaghniac on July 02, 2022, 02:07:25 PM

I think the Armagh setup need to reflect on this. The object should be to win games, standing up for yourself in the melee should not be an objective if it interferes with winning. Some things that go on, e.g. pointless fouls giving away points, slabbering about frees and getting them moved up and wild challenges that end up with people getting sent off, are not helping winning games.
Armagh drew with Galway, one more point would have done the job and discipline is part of the solution to getting that point.

100% .... no melee and a Galway win last Sunday would have been less likely.  No heavy, unneeded tackle from Greg McCabe, no red card, and a Galway win last Sunday would have been less likely.  If's, buts and maybe's ... the takeaway is a good look at discipline in general.

tyrone08

Never understood players attitude of standing up for themselves. All teams have these "hard" men type. The best way to hurt the opposition is to do it on the score board. If someone is pushing and shoving you ignore it until the ref sees it then use the extra motivation to get the next score.

Getting involved in meelee isnt hurting the opposition its often plyaing into their hands. Can understand younger players getting involved but the more experienced players should know this by now.

Orior

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 03, 2022, 11:21:27 AM

Never understood players attitude of standing up for themselves. All teams have these "hard" men type. The best way to hurt the opposition is to do it on the score board. If someone is pushing and shoving you ignore it until the ref sees it then use the extra motivation to get the next score.

Getting involved in meelee isnt hurting the opposition its often plyaing into their hands. Can understand younger players getting involved but the more experienced players should know this by now.

Totally agree.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians