Donegal vs. Cavan - Ulster SFC 2022 Semi Final, Sunday 8th May

Started by Dreadnought, April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: J70 on May 06, 2022, 11:58:15 AM
Quote from: Westside on May 05, 2022, 08:04:25 PM
Declan Bonnar gave a good insight into just how little respect he has for this Cavan team in an interview with donegaldaily. It takes untold levels of confidence/arrogance/stupidity to pat Cavan on the head and talk about how much we love our football. I would have thought that after 2020 he might have gained some level of respect for this Cavan team but he clearly sees the 2020 final as a complete aberration. I sincerely hope that Cavan aren't as bad as Bonnar thinks we are. If he's right, this will be a 15+ point hammering.

"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

Offensive stuff all right. ::)

You want a wee bit of ketchup with that chip on your shoulder? ;D

Who said I was offended? You're all very tetchy about this. I'm pointing out that Bonnar clearly sees Cavan as no threat. His choice of words in that interview show how he views Cavan, he probably didn't even realise it. Love their football, proud county with a great tradition. That's what you say about Sligo, Carlow, Leitrim before you run up 15 points on them. Would he say the same if he was playing Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan? Not a chance.

If you disagree then say why, tell me why i'm mistaken not the psychology behind my mistake.

Westside

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 06, 2022, 12:53:40 PM
Yer mans went full Karen

I've yet to be told why i'm wrong, just people trying to convince me I'm offended.

J70

Quote from: Westside on May 06, 2022, 01:00:45 PM
Declan Bonnar gave a good insight into just how little respect he has for this Cavan team in an interview with donegaldaily. It takes untold levels of confidence/arrogance/stupidity to pat Cavan on the head and talk about how much we love our football. I would have thought that after 2020 he might have gained some level of respect for this Cavan team but he clearly sees the 2020 final as a complete aberration. I sincerely hope that Cavan aren't as bad as Bonnar thinks we are. If he's right, this will be a 15+ point hammering.

"Cavan are really strong, passionate and traditional football county, they love their GAA down there, they've built a bit of momentum winning the Division 4 title against Tipperary. They really dismantled a decent Antrim team in the first round two weeks ago."

Who said I was offended? You're all very tetchy about this. I'm pointing out that Bonnar clearly sees Cavan as no threat. His choice of words in that interview show how he views Cavan, he probably didn't even realise it. Love their football, proud county with a great tradition. That's what you say about Sligo, Carlow, Leitrim before you run up 15 points on them. Would he say the same if he was playing Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan? Not a chance.

If you disagree then say why, tell me why i'm mistaken not the psychology behind my mistake.

1. How could anyone in their right mind say or believe that Bonner doesn't see Cavan as a threat given that he got his arse handed to him 18 months ago and he faced these players multiple times when he was in charge of Donegal underage teams?

2. I think you're the tetchy one. Bonner reeled off a list of vacuous, say-nothing, clichés (including the "they love their football in Cavan" one). I would be pretty certain that Mickey Graham has given similar, information-free interviews this week, talking about the stern challenge facing Cavan against a Div 1 Donegal side who should have beaten Armagh by more. As if he's telling his team behind the scenes that they're raging underdogs! Why would anyone EVER get offended by this stuff? They have to say something while trying to say nothing.

Westside

Quote from: J70 on May 06, 2022, 01:37:56 PM

1. How could anyone in their right mind say or believe that Bonner doesn't see Cavan as a threat given that he got his arse handed to him 18 months ago and he faced these players multiple times when he was in charge of Donegal underage teams?

2. I think you're the tetchy one. Bonner reeled off a list of vacuous, say-nothing, clichés (including the "they love their football in Cavan" one). I would be pretty certain that Mickey Graham has given similar, information-free interviews this week, talking about the stern challenge facing Cavan against a Div 1 Donegal side who should have beaten Armagh by more. As if he's telling his team behind the scenes that they're raging underdogs! Why would anyone EVER get offended by this stuff? They have to say something while trying to say nothing.

1. When was the last time you heard a manager give the "proud footballing county, love their football" line about a team they had any actual respect for? Honestly, it's what you say about basement division 4 teams. I'd genuinely like to see an example of where a manager has said this about serious opposition. He clearly doesn't see Cavan as serious opposition (and he could be right)

2. For the umpteenth time, i'm not offended. I can see clearly that Bonner was giving the 'say nothing while saying something' interview but there's several types of that interview and he unconsciously reached for the superpower v minnows version. I think that's noteworthy and gives an insight into his mentality going into Sundays game. If Graham came out and said "we expect a tough test from Donegal, they're a proud footballing county and we're looking no further than Sunday's game, you don't get anything easy against Donegal" it would be equally noteworthy.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on May 06, 2022, 01:57:19 PM

1. When was the last time you heard a manager give the "proud footballing county, love their football" line about a team they had any actual respect for? Honestly, it's what you say about basement division 4 teams. I'd genuinely like to see an example of where a manager has said this about serious opposition. He clearly doesn't see Cavan as serious opposition (and he could be right)

2. For the umpteenth time, i'm not offended. I can see clearly that Bonner was giving the 'say nothing while saying something' interview but there's several types of that interview and he unconsciously reached for the superpower v minnows version. I think that's noteworthy and gives an insight into his mentality going into Sundays game. If Graham came out and said "we expect a tough test from Donegal, they're a proud footballing county and we're looking no further than Sunday's game, you don't get anything easy against Donegal" it would be equally noteworthy.

Seriously who gives a fcuk what he said or could/should have said instead.

Westside

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 06, 2022, 02:02:13 PM

You're following this conversation very closely for someone who doesn't care.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on May 06, 2022, 02:06:38 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 06, 2022, 02:02:13 PM

You're following this conversation very closely for someone who doesn't care.
I'm only following to have a laugh at yourself.

Armagh18

There is absolutely no chance anyone from Donegal are underestimating Cavan after they played them off the pitch in 2020 especially given what Derry did to Tyrone last week. I do think you're reading too much into what Bonner said although you do have a point in that it was an unusual choice of words.

J70

I'm sorry, but it is simply not believable that an experienced manager like Bonner wouldn't take Cavan as a serious threat.

If you want to parse a garbage interview to convince yourself otherwise for whatever reason, knock yourself out.

Westside

It was either a bizzare choice of words or it was a telling choice of words. Occam's Razor - I believe it was the latter. Perhaps borne out of confidence in his team's ability but if anyone trusts Bonner's judgement I'd be loading on Donegal -5.

Captain Obvious

Westside on the on the wind up? Either way he's got an extra two pages on a slow moving thread.

StephenC

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 06, 2022, 03:14:07 PM
Westside on the on the wind up? Either way he's got an extra two pages on a slow moving thread.

Exactly! Good man Karen ... keep her lit.

JoG2

Quote from: StephenC on May 06, 2022, 04:39:37 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 06, 2022, 03:14:07 PM

Exactly! Good man Karen ... keep her lit.

;D