Club pitches

Started by Truth hurts, April 26, 2022, 01:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

I was speaking with a gent yesterday whos son is u11 and he informed me that his team can only train once a week as their pitches are always full.  He says the club host hurling , football, CAMOGIE AND LGFA . He says the kids are even losing space to Gaelic for mothers, gaa lads and dads and that sort of crap we are seeing at gaa clubs these days.  Is this is a  problem in every club? Clubs should be doing more than 1 night a week of training and a match at the weekend?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 26, 2022, 01:05:46 PM
I was speaking with a gent yesterday whos son is u11 and he informed me that his team can only train once a week as their pitches are always full.  He says the club host hurling , football, CAMOGIE AND LGFA . He says the kids are even losing space to Gaelic for mothers, gaa lads and dads and that sort of crap we are seeing at gaa clubs these days.  Is this is a  problem in every club? Clubs should be doing more than 1 night a week of training and a match at the weekend?

This is why clubs should be single code only, with their own pitches... Its impossible to compete in both codes and with ladies involved also, it's very much a timetabling disaster and you end up trying to keep everyone happy which has a poor effect on everyone..

We've two pitches and still difficult to fit everything in 2 senior teams in hurling and football alone never mind when we go down through the grades including our ladies football and now camogie
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Realistically, how many teams in your average club need the full pitch, hurling aside?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 01:19:38 PM

This is why clubs should be single code only, with their own pitches... Its impossible to compete in both codes and with ladies involved also, it's very much a timetabling disaster and you end up trying to keep everyone happy which has a poor effect on everyone..

We've two pitches and still difficult to fit everything in 2 senior teams in hurling and football alone never mind when we go down through the grades including our ladies football and now camogie

How many teams do St Galls have? Do you have any access to council facilties?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 26, 2022, 01:40:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 01:19:38 PM

How many teams do St Galls have? Do you have any access to council facilties?

We have 2 senior football teams in the leagues and south antrim team that is basically your thirds... 2 senior hurling teams in the leagues also.

ladies football have senior right down to under 8's .. Juvenile camogs now this year, which is great to see.

And teams in all juvenile hurling and football right down to under 8's

think it works out without under 8's (though they still need a patch on the pitch) 23 different teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truth hurts

If pitches are full where would teams train?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 26, 2022, 02:05:49 PM
If pitches are full where would teams train?

Have to source another pitch, what teams I've played/play in do. Else it's a running session 😅

trailer

Why in the name of God would you train an u11 side more than once a week? Someone needs to have a quiet word with him.

Truth hurts

Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2022, 02:30:37 PM

Why in the name of God would you train an u11 side more than once a week? Someone needs to have a quite word with him.

2 coaching sessions a week and a match is standard??

Sportacus

Surely the more teams you have, from all codes, the better.  Success can be measured in different ways.  Having a very active club with something for everyone, ladies and men, young and old, is what we are about.  Extremely difficult to accommodate it all on one pitch I accept, but definitely not a reason to shut some sectors down.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 26, 2022, 02:34:24 PM

Why in the name of God would you train an u11 side more than once a week? Someone needs to have a quite word with him.

1 Training Session and 1 Match and ask them to practice at home.. Senior teams do 2 trainings and 1 match per week putting that routine on u11s is stupid

trailer

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 26, 2022, 02:34:24 PM

I think one night a week and a game at the weekend is plenty. Kids and families usually have lots of stuff on.

Truth hurts

One night a week coaching is not enough to improve.

screenexile

Our club fields at every level for every code men and women. . . it's tough going to organise those in charge of pitch timetables but we're quite lucky in terms of access as we have 2 full sized pitches on site as well as a Council pitch we can use.

For training we also use the local high school facility which has a 2/3 pitch and a fair sized 3g but it's only just about enough and there are still issues!

For the size of our club you would have to say we've underachieved on the pitch but in recent years there has been huge increase in Volunteers and members from the local community going to games and helping out. As sportacus says this is a measure of a thriving club and I think if we can keep this up the pitch success will come!!

Fingers crossed anyway!

screenexile

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 26, 2022, 02:39:35 PM
One night a week coaching is not enough to improve.

Bollocks not at U11. . . the best way to improve at that age group is having a ball in your hand as much as possible organised training will only improve you so much at that age.