Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2022, 03:10:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2022, 12:01:41 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2022, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2022, 11:12:51 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 03, 2022, 10:53:28 AM
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/down-star-barry-ohagan-claims-26855773

Hard to understand this mentality. Down are coming off the back of a season where they haven't won a match yet Barry O'Hagan reckons they should be competing to win Sam Maguire.

That's not what he's saying. He's saying the Tailteann cup is a pointless affair.

He will be proven right too.

He's as much chance of winning a Sam Maguire as Eoghan Sands has of winning a Liam McCarthy and that's the reality he and the football fraternity in Down need to live in and build from there.

I'd love to be proved wrong on both counts but it ain't going to happen.

Johnny this doesn't change the simple fact that if a large percentage of participants in a competition  are ambivalent about winning it, then there's likely something much more useful that everyone - players, managers, admin, supporters - could be doing wither their time.

And due to this simple fact, it is an un-marketable competition. Just like every previous version of the B championship. They can change the name and the format all they want, but ultimately it's the booby prize.

I'll not argue with you on that and it's only a matter of time before Croke Park marginalise it even further and yes, I'd be of the opinion that Down need a stronger club scene before they can move on at IC level.

Given the reports of ill-discipline coming out of the Down camp, it doesn't look like they had much in the way of respect for the county or any of the competitions they were playing in this year.  Coming off the back of the season that they had, I would be saying nothing if I was him. 

Captain Scarlet

Does a Junior club team in any county kick up stink when their name doesn't appear in the SFC Draw? No, they know where they are and what they need to do to change it.
I am not sure why this is such a hard thing to accept for people within the same association.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Armagh18

Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2022, 03:10:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2022, 12:01:41 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2022, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2022, 11:12:51 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 03, 2022, 10:53:28 AM
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/down-star-barry-ohagan-claims-26855773

Hard to understand this mentality. Down are coming off the back of a season where they haven't won a match yet Barry O'Hagan reckons they should be competing to win Sam Maguire.

That's not what he's saying. He's saying the Tailteann cup is a pointless affair.

He will be proven right too.

He's as much chance of winning a Sam Maguire as Eoghan Sands has of winning a Liam McCarthy and that's the reality he and the football fraternity in Down need to live in and build from there.

I'd love to be proved wrong on both counts but it ain't going to happen.

Johnny this doesn't change the simple fact that if a large percentage of participants in a competition  are ambivalent about winning it, then there's likely something much more useful that everyone - players, managers, admin, supporters - could be doing wither their time.

And due to this simple fact, it is an un-marketable competition. Just like every previous version of the B championship. They can change the name and the format all they want, but ultimately it's the booby prize.

I'll not argue with you on that and it's only a matter of time before Croke Park marginalise it even further and yes, I'd be of the opinion that Down need a stronger club scene before they can move on at IC level.
In all fairness Downs clubs scene would be very strong with 3 or 4 teams that would fancy their chances against Kilcoo as far as I know. Think Kilcoo have been ran very close several times in the Down championship the past few years and their is no denying how good Kilcoo are.

rodney trotter

O Hagan says if given the chance would be want an All Ireland or Tailtean Cup, and says All Ireland medal. Talk about stating the obvious

And says Down should be back competing in the All Ireland Series.  They are in Division 3 next year, and winning  the Tailtean Cup is  a route back to playing in the Ireland series

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 03, 2022, 03:50:16 PM
Does a Junior club team in any county kick up stink when their name doesn't appear in the SFC Draw? No, they know where they are and what they need to do to change it.
I am not sure why this is such a hard thing to accept for people within the same association.

Oh ffs. For the 443rd time on this board:

1. When you're beaten in your club football championship it's the end of your season. So it's in your interests to play to the highest competitive standard you can, rather than one that's too strong. This ensures a lengthier but competitive season.

2. When you're beaten in your county football championship, a perfectly natural and competitive football championship then opens up to you: your club championship. You don't need an intermediate county tier to fall back on.

Captain Scarlet

It's not in your interest it's the rules and you like it or lump it. You are Junior Club you play JFC and you can't argue why you are down there. I am saying he seems to be dismissing a competition which in fact is Down's level.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

For the 343rd time..
Hurling has graded Club and County Championships
Camogie has graded Club and County Championships
Ladies Football has graded Club and County Championships
Men's football can't have both because.... maybe the sky will fall  or maybe the Russians might invade or something awful altogether might happen.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2022, 04:39:11 PM
For the 343rd time..
Men's football can't have both because.... maybe the sky will fall  or maybe the Russians might invade or something awful altogether might happen.....

Men's football can't have both because history tells us the players don't want this competition to exist .... multiple attempts to introduce a "B" All Ireland have failed miserably, and so will the Tailteann Cup. And so will the rebranded version in 4 years time and the one after that too.

Why is it so difficult to understand that competitions only work when competitors want to win what's on offer? Why, why, why? I genuinely have to question your grasp on the world if you want to persist with this nonsense. Do you really think think you know better than what 50 years of history makes oh so  clear?

imtommygunn

You are pretty much right. You want the tailteann cup then the teams in it need removed from their provincials and the all ireland championship. It has to be the pinnacle for them That's the way the hurling is and why it works. While you can compete in A and then get demoted when you lose then it's the booby prize. Look at the UEFA or whatever it's called cup now and see the same thing there.

Milltown Row2

So for the div 4/3 teams, get hammered in the main cup and no back doors? I prefer that option, I also prefer no back doors at all.

Btw Wobbler just because that's your view doesn't make it right or correct.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2022, 04:45:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2022, 04:39:11 PM
For the 343rd time..

Men's football can't have both because history tells us the players don't want this competition to exist .... multiple attempts to introduce a "B" All Ireland have failed miserably, and so will the Tailteann Cup. And so will the rebranded version in 4 years time and the one after that too.

Why is it so difficult to understand that competitions only work when competitors want to win what's on offer? Why, why, why? I genuinely have to question your grasp on the world if you want to persist with this nonsense. Do you really think think you know better than what 50 years of history makes oh so  clear?
Not "persisting with *nonsense" as I don't instigate or run the Tailteann Cup.
Merely making a point.

* "Nonsense" appears to be anything you don't agree with ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

full moon

The noise already is there will be barely any promotion or media coverage.

I mean the GAA and broadcasters can barely promote the Sam Maguire properly so that's no real shock.There needed to be some perks tied in even have the winners re enter Sam Maguire later on like Joe McDonagh later on. As it is, it's going to fail.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2022, 05:50:35 PM
So for the div 4/3 teams, get hammered in the main cup and no back doors? I prefer that option, I also prefer no back doors at all.

Btw Wobbler just because that's your view doesn't make it right or correct.

Two "main" cups...

Sam maguire and tailteann

If you're division 1 or 2 you're Sam maguire. If you're 3 or 4 you're tailteann.

The only exception could be if you win the tailteann you get in the Sam maguire and that is it. It means goodbye to provincials but probably only way to make it work...

Provincials make it a halfway house.

FermGael

Quote from: full moon on May 03, 2022, 06:23:11 PM
The noise already is there will be barely any promotion or media coverage.

I mean the GAA and broadcasters can barely promote the Sam Maguire properly so that's no real shock.There needed to be some perks tied in even have the winners re enter Sam Maguire later on like Joe McDonagh later on. As it is, it's going to fail.

They is no live coverage until the semi finals.
Questionable of the Sunday game will do any highlights packages of the earlier rounds as well.
Sure why would they

That's the biggest issue this competition has.
The Gaa have shown how they promote the tiered competitions in hurling and this will be no different.
Live on YouTube next year I could nearly guarantee.
Year after it will be over by the middle of June to leave more time for the better counties.

Nice refreshing interview today from one of the Down lads in the Irish News .
Calls a spade a spade
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Eire90

if they scrapped the tailteaan cup and just have two rounds of qualifiers like we have now would the teams  that get one game be ok with it.