Sectarian abuse from the free staters

Started by Truth hurts, February 07, 2022, 11:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Down hurling manager Ronan Sheehan has alleged that his players were subjected to sectarian abuse during Sunday's Allianz League clash with Carlow.

Marc Fisher scored a late goal at Ballycran as the Mourne men won by the narrowest of margins in the Division 2A Allianz League encounter.

But Sheehan took to social media afterwards to express disappointment at some of the words that had been used against his players in the game.

Speaking to RTÉ Sport, Sheehan alleged that the abuse had come from Carlow players, and that he had been informed of it by his own panelists in the dressing room after the game.

"It may only be loose words for the person saying them but it does impact on players given who they are and what some of their families endured to play our national games," Sheehan said.

"If we had lost today I would have said nothing as people would say it was only sour grapes but when we won I thought it was important to highlight [it] as it's an insult to Gaels up here."

Carlow GAA were approached for comment, and released the following statement: "Carlow GAA are committed to upholding the principles of Anti-Sectarianism and Anti-Racism.

"All related reports/allegations are investigated and action taken as appropriate," said Jim Bolger, chairperson of Carlow GAA.

Under GAA rules, sectarian abuse is a red card offence, which may carry a two-game ban, if witnessed by the referee or one of their officials.

Tubberman

Sectarian? That would be unusual seeing as GAA players would traditionally be from the same 'sect'.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Crete Boom

When did Carlow become an independent or dominion state? I didn't know it had a campaign to break away from Ireland?What did Ireland do to Carlow to anger them so much?

seafoid

Despicable behaviour that has no place in GAA.
"Free Staters" is also rancid. The Free State disappeared decades ago.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Quote from: Tubberman on February 07, 2022, 11:26:01 AM
Sectarian? That would be unusual seeing as GAA players would traditionally be from the same 'sect'.

You would think that but there's very few men in my experience haven't been called a "black bastard" or "Nordie p***k" when playing down South.

It's not exactly pleasant but I wouldn't be running to the media about it, if they're not calling you that they'll find some other way of calling you a **** it never really worried me as to the exact wording.

Staunch Republicans around Tyrone telling me to go back to Londonderry or calling me a Londonderry bastard is a particular highlight... but then you're not exactly dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed with that bunch!!

Franko

You would think that...

Carlow lads obviously think differently

Interesting that your only comment on the issue is this

Thread title need changing

Farrandeelin

Can't understand anybody who does this sort of thing. Wtf do they gain by it anyway? Carlow certainly didn't seeing as they lost.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2022, 11:35:37 AM

The political construct, yes. The mindset (which is what is being talked about here) is evidently alive and well in certain quarters.

Itchy

Disgusting behaviour any true Irish person would condemn it. But maybe you'd stop aping the assholes who say this stuff by branding us all "freestaters" which is term I find offensive

The PRO

Quote from: Itchy on February 07, 2022, 12:33:48 PM
Disgusting behaviour any true Irish person would condemn it. But maybe you'd stop aping the assholes who say this stuff by branding us all "freestaters" which is term I find offensive
Exactly. Stop calling people from the Republic of Ireland "free staters" and your argument might get off to a better start.
Anyway this should be in the "hurling discussion" forum.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The PRO on February 07, 2022, 12:45:25 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 07, 2022, 12:33:48 PM
Exactly. Stop calling people from the Republic of Ireland "free staters" and your argument might get off to a better start.
Anyway this should be in the "hurling discussion" forum.

Why? Its not about hurling, its about calling people black bastards and prods
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Windscale became Sellafield, but it is still radioactive.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Not unusual to be called 'black bastards', etc over the years.

seafoid

Quote from: Snapchap on February 07, 2022, 12:07:08 PM

The political construct, yes. The mindset (which is what is being talked about here) is evidently alive and well in certain quarters.
I don't understand the point of the Free Stater insult . If there is going to be a UI who will pay for it ? I think the insult is trina cheile.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Shocking meat head stuff. Can remember being at an NFL games in Omagh some years back involving Tyrone & the Rossies. The stadium announcer was pleased to say that the Rossies were the first southern side to come up the night before a game & stay in Omagh. He even said I repeat the Rossies were the first southern team to come up before & spend the night in a hotel in Omagh. It got a round of applause from the Tyrone supporters present. I think poor auld kevin McStay had to foot the bill, as the county boards credit card was declined ;D

Must say always enjoyed games away to Fermanagh, Tyrone & Armagh. Will be going to Newry in a few weeks, found Down lads to be unlikeable in the past, so will see how this goes. Pity the Derry game is not in Celtic Park, would have got the spuds in Fitzroys. Or would youse Derry boys recommend any other spot worth checking out. PS Don't say the fecking chinese, every hoor from Donegal is in there ;D