Defensive tactics runing the game for 98% of people?

Started by onefineday, January 27, 2022, 11:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

This Kilmacud Pearses game is really poor stuff. 7 scores between both teams in the first half, and TG4 missed the first few scores on and break!  Tough watch for €20 entry fee

Blowitupref

Quote from: full moon on January 29, 2022, 05:38:50 PM
This Kilmacud Pearses game is really poor stuff. 7 scores between both teams in the first half, and TG4 missed the first few scores on and break!  Tough watch for €20 entry fee

Some amount of backwards passing by Kilmacud and Pearses dropping back watching them do it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SouthDublinBro

Jim McGuinness has a lot to answer for. Turgid to watch stuff from Pearses. It's like watching Monaghan.

Blowitupref

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on January 29, 2022, 06:18:28 PM
Jim McGuinness has a lot to answer for. Turgid to watch stuff from Pearses. It's like watching Monaghan.

Both sides had similar tactics. Kilmacud especially punished the errors Pearses made. Was defensive football long before Jim McGuinness became a manager.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Gmac

Gaa will turn like rugby with set moves decoy runners and crash ball up the middle
Donegal kind of played like that when they won the all Ireland get the ball to the best carrier run as far and hard as you can and recycle when near to goal for a pop at goals

ck

After a weekend of defensive football with 15 men behind the ball in most games it's genuinely time to rescue it from ourselves.

Taylor

The Derry game on Saturday night was genuinely one of the worst games I have seen in a long long time.

I understand it is a results game but how can anyone can be happy watching that

ck

Quote from: Taylor on January 31, 2022, 10:29:38 AM
The Derry game on Saturday night was genuinely one of the worst games I have seen in a long long time.

I'll be controversial and say that based on the current rules then it's the most effective way to play the game.
Rory Gallagher is just doing what he has always done. Flood bodies back and depend on a few talented individuals to pick off scores. I was mystified to note James McCartans interview afterwards where he said he doesn't send his players out to play ultra defensively!.. Well James, they don't listen to you then cos it's the way they played and barely attacked during the entire game returning 0-6 in 70 minutes!

Taylor

Quote from: ck on January 31, 2022, 12:05:13 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 31, 2022, 10:29:38 AM

I'll be controversial and say that based on the current rules then it's the most effective way to play the game.
Rory Gallagher is just doing what he has always done. Flood bodies back and depend on a few talented individuals to pick off scores. I was mystified to note James McCartans interview afterwards where he said he doesn't send his players out to play ultra defensively!.. Well James, they don't listen to you then cos it's the way they played and barely attacked during the entire game returning 0-6 in 70 minutes!

Would disagree - after Donegal when was the last time a team won the AI playing this way?

full moon

There needs to be emphasis on kickpassing and more lenient referees not blowing frees every 10 seconds.

Hand passing wise there may need to be a rule to cut the number of handpasses. A team like Kilcoo rarely kickpass at all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on January 31, 2022, 12:28:13 PM
There needs to be emphasis on kickpassing and more lenient referees not blowing frees every 10 seconds.

Hand passing wise there may need to be a rule to cut the number of handpasses. A team like Kilcoo rarely kickpass at all.

So counting steps and counting handpasses, 3 attacking players must stay in a forward position!! christ the ref would be in for some beatings after the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

While I'd agree some refs are whistle happy, a fair percentage of tackles these days are akin to a bear hug. What's a ref to do? Was it about the 65th minute of the Derry Down game before a Down player was booked? The bear hug tackling was constant through out the game, as in all games

full moon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 31, 2022, 12:47:58 PM

So counting steps and counting handpasses, 3 attacking players must stay in a forward position!! christ the ref would be in for some beatings after the game

Yeah I agree don't think its feasible for referees. What about a rule that you can only bandpass inside your own half ?

Might encourage more kicking passing. Because the mark doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Dunsilly King