Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Link on July 04, 2022, 04:39:36 PM
Offaly minors robbed judging on highlights. Tipp scored 1-1 where the ref didn't award offaly deserved clear frees plus he didn't allow advantage following the throwing of the hurl, offaly had the ball in the net within seconds.

Did keeper not save that shot then the ball was pulled on and went wide?

Did they not then get a free?

Definate free out for Offaly for the 'goal free'.

Tipp forward run in and timed his run well to connect at full height. He had the run on the static Offaly backs. Some finish to a game.

Link

Quote from: marty34 on July 04, 2022, 04:48:58 PM
Offaly minors robbed judging on highlights. Tipp scored 1-1 where the ref didn't award offaly deserved clear frees plus he didn't allow advantage following the throwing of the hurl, offaly had the ball in the net within seconds.

Tipp forward run in and timed his run well to connect at full height. He had the run on the static Offaly backs. Some finish to a game.

thought it went in, cheers for the correction.

johnnycool

Quote from: Link on July 04, 2022, 05:00:17 PM

The Tipp lad had already smacked an Offaly player on the side of the helmet in the lead up to the same lad "spearing" the hurl at the Offaly lad about to cut inside.

That was a dangerous action as you'd see and the lad needs a big suspension for it.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 05, 2022, 08:16:55 AM
Quote from: Link on July 04, 2022, 05:00:17 PM

The Tipp lad had already smacked an Offaly player on the side of the helmet in the lead up to the same lad "spearing" the hurl at the Offaly lad about to cut inside.

That was a dangerous action as you'd see and the lad needs a big suspension for it.

I'd say lad just threw the hurl and 9 times out of 10, it misses the intended player. But the way the butt connected on the ear was dangerous alright.

At the time, I'd say Offally were happy enough - a handy free in, a red card for Tipp, plus maybe more importantly at that time, 2 mins off the clock with that incident.

Milltown Row2

Missed the game, was traveling home from Donegal, where would you get to see it?

Social media has went to town on the ref, can't comment on his performance until I see game

So how many points up were Offaly with an extra man with how long left?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2022, 09:34:05 AM
Missed the game, was traveling home from Donegal, where would you get to see it?

Social media has went to town on the ref, can't comment on his performance until I see game

try TG4, they do reruns

As for the ref, he's be lauded in other circles for "letting the game flow" if he'd blown for the trip at the end which would have allowed Offaly to clear the ball, but ended up in a free for Tipp who lopped it in the air and smashed it into the net.

Fine margins for a ref as well.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2022, 09:34:05 AM

It was just one incident at the very end.

Offaly lad was barged in back (clear free out) but ref. missed it/didn't give it. Tipp won back possession in the same play seconds later and got a free themselves, which the resultant goal came from.

Like most people, I thought it was irrelevant at the time as 99% of time, the high ball is cleared out and ref. blows his whistle for full time.

Tough one for Offaly.

Dag Dog

The more footage and photos I see from Adare Manor makes me worry that Limerick are going to pay a price for it in the final.
Brian Cody would never allow himself or his team be on a jolly like that in the build up to an All Ireland.

Bord na Mona man

Obviously it's a sore one for Offaly but I don't think post-mortems about the ref ever make anyone feel better. He just did the classic thing of helping the team that had fallen behind and were a man down.

In another parallel universe Offaly could have run away with the game and won handsomely. Had Robinson not been speared by a flying stick he possibly would have been more composed to finish the goal chance. At 8 points up I don't think even the most dogged Tipp team would have come back.
And maybe that would be a worse scenario. A group of underage players over confident in their superiority may not be hungry enough to push on in the future.
Tipp stuck at it even though were mostly hanging on and there's a great lesson there too.

Result aside, it's a big turnaround for Offaly. Not so many years ago Laois, Carlow, Westmeath would be expected to beat Offaly at minor and Offaly would have been struggling with Kildare and Meath.

marty34

Quote from: Dag Dog on July 05, 2022, 12:03:42 PM
The more footage and photos I see from Adare Manor makes me worry that Limerick are going to pay a price for it in the final.
Brian Cody would never allow himself or his team be on a jolly like that in the build up to an All Ireland.

Funny, I was thinking that myself.

Cody wouldn't have distractions like that, especially with only a two week turn around.

Still Limerick's to lose.

johnnycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 05, 2022, 12:39:31 PM
Obviously it's a sore one for Offaly but I don't think post-mortems about the ref ever make anyone feel better. He just did the classic thing of helping the team that had fallen behind and were a man down.

In another parallel universe Offaly could have run away with the game and won handsomely. Had Robinson not been speared by a flying stick he possibly would have been more composed to finish the goal chance. At 8 points up I don't think even the most dogged Tipp team would have come back.
And maybe that would be a worse scenario. A group of underage players over confident in their superiority may not be hungry enough to push on in the future.
Tipp stuck at it even though were mostly hanging on and there's a great lesson there too.

Result aside, it's a big turnaround for Offaly. Not so many years ago Laois, Carlow, Westmeath would be expected to beat Offaly at minor and Offaly would have been struggling with Kildare and Meath.

Indeed, as I saw a quote somewhere that half the current Limerick senior team lost an AI minor title potentially due to an issue with Hawkeye or the likes back in the day.

Use that pain to drive them on to U20 and beyond.

Muck Savage

Flew home to see the minor match, yes we're starved of good teams in Offaly over the past 20 years. It's easy to point out that one incident that should have been a free however Offaly should never have left that in a Refs hands. They should have been out of sight but started to defend the goal for the last 5 mins, that's inviting trouble. There were a couple of factors, unfamiliar territory for Offaly made them nervous, and the amount of subs brought on due to cramps in the last 6-7 mins showed the lack of depth in the squad.
Very proud of the young lads and hopefully this will make them stronger for the future. Great to see their first touch and wrist flicks when defending, reminded me of the 90's hurlers. I do hope they stick together and bring Offaly back to the top table in hurling. Huge credit also to the county board and the work they are doing at underage level. Fantastic weekend even if heartbreaking to loose

Last comment, fair play to the Tipp team, they kept chipping away and never panicked. Well done on the win, that shouldn't be devalued because to the free questions.

Wildweasel74

I be taking Kilkenny to beat them.

imtommygunn

Still not sure on that. KK have had teams playing big hopeful balls into forwards on them all year and it's meat and drink to them. The kind of ball that Gillane and Kennedy get it's hard to play them. The problem is Limerick pull the half forwards back a bit to give them that space. If KK can find a way round that maybe they have hope but the likes of the way Gillane played sunday he's just unmarkable. I rarely want KK to win but for a change I'd rather see them win. Still undecided whether I think Cody is great or whether I don't like him at all lol.

TheMistro

Kilkenny great odds at 5/2. Coady have a plan.