Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Cody has got old looking I must say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 01, 2022, 11:14:16 PM
G Cody doesn't come across well with that Handshake.

He doesn't come across well a lot of the time. He was a bull a few years ago with Marty Morrissey after winning the All Ireland.

johnnycool

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 02, 2022, 12:14:18 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 01, 2022, 11:14:16 PM
G Cody doesn't come across well with that Handshake.

He doesn't come across well a lot of the time. He was a bull a few years ago with Marty Morrissey after winning the All Ireland.

Cody doesn't take too kindly to losing and being old school he probably (no probably in it) can't hid his disgust at a Kilkenny man managing a team to beat their native county even if that is his former leading player, Henry who TBH looked a bit shook up over it.
In 2006 he was like a deranged animal prowling the sidelines in Thurles when they lined out against Galway, who'd beaten them in the previous AI semifinal, what followed was a kilkenny team playing on the edge and over it a good few times who tore Galway to pieces.

As for the game itself, Galway the better team, but you just can't let a Kilkenny team to get back at you and it almost proved very costly for Galway, the free at the end probably was soft but Deegans came clattering into the back of Monaghans head and the way the game is being refereed now that's a free.
Tom Monaghan had a great game over the 70 for Galway, the introduction of Whelan gave them a goal threat even if he did butcher a few chances, the Cooneys gave Galway some good moments and in Burke and McInerney they've a solid spine in their defence.
Eoin Cody is showing that he's ready to take over from TJ, fierce, powerful hurler who takes the direct route to goal with plenty of skill and awareness with him, serious hurler who along with Billy Ryan will cause problems for most defences.
Still think they're lacking a bit elsewhere, midfield is a bit meh for me, but I think they'll be in a Leinster final, most likely vrs Galway and I wouldn't put it past them to win it.
Next up for Kilkenny is Dublin in Parnell park, Dubs will have gained some confidence for the win down in Wexford and will hope to have a cut at them.

Cork are in a bit of a mess ATM, and whilst the highlights don't tell an awful lot, it seems that Clare bullied them yet again and where almost 10 points up just before half time, the goal at the end probably doesn't reflect the Clare dominance but Cork have serious issues about how they get players on the field able to give as good as they get, I'd go further than "boldness" as Shane Dowling kept saying, they need utter guttersnipes willing to go in and win dirty ball whatever it takes both ends of the field, fill in round them with the speedsters and what not but you need the mix and currently Cork haven't got that. Maybe overthinking the game down by the Lee, too structured in their set up, players able to work and thrive in chaos is the new thing coaching wise, Cork haven't grasped that.
Clare do have that and will be pleased with their start in 2 wins from 2. If that's enough to hold onto 3rd spot they'll be happy, but I think they might need another point against Waterford or Limerick with Waterford in Ennis the most likely. Still think they're a bit below that level, but then again they won't fear Waterford and don't particularly like their Limerick friends being c**k-a-hoop and will bounce into them Lohan like and see where that gets them. The new boy wonder of Clare hurling, Shane Meehan has yet to get any gametime in this championship but he'll be needed.

Munster
Limerick
Waterford
Clare

Leinster
Galway
Kilkenny
Dubs

Dubs just because if it comes down to them and Wex on same points the head to head will work for the Dubs.

marty34

Fantastic game of hurling.  Went down to it.  Class atmoslhere.  Salthill a great stadium with 14, 000+ in it and weather conditions decent.

Galway were very good in the first half, played with the wind and Cooney was great on the frees.  Concannon got an unreal point from near the end-line.  One of the best points I have ever seen.  The technique was unreal, put spin on it to steer it through from the tighest of angles.

Cody was unreal for KK. Pace, power and ability. New T.J. in the making!  Funny enough T.J. didn't come out to late - after the photo etc. so not sure was he sick/injured but wasn't on top form.

Didn't think it was a free at the end but Cooney nailed it against the breeze.

Real enjoyable game.  All to play for in Leinster as well as Munster.

imtommygunn

The not letting go of his hand was pathetic.

Entertaining game yesterday between the two. Galway that bit better and shouldn't have let kk back in it. Once they worked out how to handle Cody they were very much in charge.

Cork result interesting too. Galvin should never have seen red and if he hadn't it looked like Clare would maybe have won by more. Cork tipp playoff for the bottom of the table now it seems.

Kk Wexford should be interesting now too. I imagine kk I'll have too much for Dublin.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on May 02, 2022, 02:29:59 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 01, 2022, 11:25:52 PM
Cody has got old looking I must say.
He sure has

Yeah, looks jaded enough but still as determined as ever.

Didn't see the handshake thing until late last night.  Body language experts all over it I'd say. I'm sure both will say it's all about the players but still hard to get away from the two leaders.

Premier Emperor

Kilkenny love to portray themselves as great hurling people and talk the talk about promoting the game. However they have always been very slow to help out other counties.
Tipperary have sent far more coaches out to help the weaker counties than Kilkenny have.

You can see from Cody's reaction that helping out other counties is just not on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 02, 2022, 04:35:40 PM
Kilkenny love to portray themselves as great hurling people and talk the talk about promoting the game. However they have always been very slow to help out other counties.
Tipperary have sent far more coaches out to help the weaker counties than Kilkenny have.

You can see from Cody's reaction that helping out other counties is just not on.

You g forward Tipp would need to keep some of those good coaches
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 02, 2022, 04:35:40 PM

Would that "to help out" mean paid?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnnycool on May 02, 2022, 11:03:29 AM
In 2006 he was like a deranged animal prowling the sidelines in Thurles when they lined out against Galway, who'd beaten them in the previous AI semifinal, what followed was a kilkenny team playing on the edge and over it a good few times who tore Galway to pieces.
Was he bad in 2006? If I recall in that game Kilkenny were comfortably in front and Galway got some late scores to make it respectable.
In 2004 vs. Galway in Thurles Cody spent the day 5 yards inside the sideline dishing out dog's abuse at Diarmuid Kirwan who was early in his career and probably too sheepish to stand up to him.

https://inpho.ie/assignment/All-Ireland-Hurling-Championship-Qualifier-Kilkenny-vs-Galway-11-7-2004/NffTnrQ__ZNumpRfR4u3tQ..a

imtommygunn

Shefflin a bit taken aback by the whole thing it seemed. Bad manners to be honest. It wouldn't warm you to him.

Saffrongael

I have read plenty of stuff over the years and podcasts etc from KK players when their time was up or being let go. Almost to a man it was a brutal ending with the conversation taking 10 seconds. There is no arguing with what he has achieved, but there are a few different ways to deliver the same message. He won't care what people think of him but he's a bad tempered bully and it's been evident for years.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 02, 2022, 08:46:24 PM
Was he bad in 2006? If I recall in that game Kilkenny were comfortably in front and Galway got some late scores to make it respectable.
In 2004 vs. Galway in Thurles Cody spent the day 5 yards inside the sideline dishing out dog's abuse at Diarmuid Kirwan who was early in his career and probably too sheepish to stand up to him.

https://inpho.ie/assignment/All-Ireland-Hurling-Championship-Qualifier-Kilkenny-vs-Galway-11-7-2004/NffTnrQ__ZNumpRfR4u3tQ..a

Yeah 2006,
   I'm almost certain as Galway had surprised Kilkenny in the 2005 semi-final with Broderick waltzing through the KK defence for a wonder goal, Cork then beat them in the final.
  They were due to meet in the quarter final the following year (we'd played Galway in Ballycran the week before, so Galway were going in well undercooked) with Conor Hayes their manager, Noel Hickey closelined Cloonan or one of the other Galway forwards early on and stayed on the park, set the tempo and Kilkenny were ruthless and Cody was as animated as he'd been for quite a while.

Make no bones about it, great manager but very ruthless.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2022, 08:54:21 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 02, 2022, 08:46:24 PM

Yeah 2006,
   I'm almost certain as Galway had surprised Kilkenny in the 2005 semi-final with Broderick waltzing through the KK defence for a wonder goal, Cork then beat them in the final.
  They were due to meet in the quarter final the following year (we'd played Galway in Ballycran the week before, so Galway were going in well undercooked) with Conor Hayes their manager, Noel Hickey closelined Cloonan or one of the other Galway forwards early on and stayed on the park, set the tempo and Kilkenny were ruthless and Cody was as animated as he'd been for quite a while.

Make no bones about it, great manager but very ruthless.
The 06 final was the end of Cork and the beginning of the KK empire. Cody is ruthess. Maybe the method works when the team is dominant but does it when KK hurling is relatively mediocre ? Would it work for the Roscommon manager?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU