Truth hurts

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 17, 2022, 10:08:25 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2022, 09:58:27 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:52:37 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2022, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:19:48 AM
Quote from: SHEEDY on January 17, 2022, 09:15:13 AM
Quote from: general_lee on January 17, 2022, 09:09:18 AM
Derrygonnelly got it so wrong. The intensity of the Kilcoo warm up vs the dg was night and day. Could over hear their manager saying to keep in touch until the first water break or something to that effect (which they did) but just got the impression that the belief was lacking. It was a case of damage limitation right from the start and eventually the wheels just came off completely. Having so ceremoniously dumped Clann Éireann in the semi final I had expected them to play with a bit more purpose. Not to take away from Kilcoo who were brilliant. They patiently got on with things, their fitness and athleticism alone are the benchmark for any aspiring club. The dg players tried a few of the dark arts and didn't get so much as a reaction from the magpies. Am I right in saying a neighbour of kilcoo will be lining out for barrs?
yeah, Colm McCrickard who has moved to Cork and plays for Barr's used to play for Liatroim in Down which is practically next door to kilcoo

It will add a bit of spice to it as Liatriom and Kilcoo would not pull too well.

Who does pull well with Liatroim?  ;D
LOL true. There seems to be a marmite approach to Kilcoo in the county. Some clubs love to congraulate them while others never mention them. I find it funny.
Plenty of rumours about scummy acts perpetrated by Kilcoo lads throughout the years and I'm yet to meet anyone from Down that doesnt totally despise them as a club.   
plenty of scummy acts surely but they wouldn't be the only club to cross the line in certain instances. Because they're kilcoo they probably get highlighted more than others,  a lot of it comes down to jealousy.

Whataboutery

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bannside on January 17, 2022, 07:48:27 AM
What we saw from Kilcoo this year was nothing short of a managerial/coaching masterclass. Yes, there's a good base of talented players and natural athletes, but yesterday's performance was as complete to perfect as you could imagine. It ticked just about every box.

Whether they go defensive or all out attack it dosent matter, this team are trained to within an inch of their lives. In particular, two aspects stand out, total unselfishness and level of support play. And don't even mention fitness or conditioning.

It's as professional a set up as you can get, very obviously Mickey Conleith and co are throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at bringing home the Andy Markham. Yesterday was just another step on that journey.

Is he related to Andy merrigan, the cup they are actually trying to win !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

yellowcard

Kilcoo certainly look like a team on a mission, they are ultra professional in everything that they do. Even their celebrations were very noticeably subdued after winning the cup, I'd say most of them just went straight home to bed last night for an early night.

There has been a huge investment in coaching at that club that has gone on for over a decade now and that level of conditioning does not just come overnight, it is an ongoing process that takes years to attain. There is a culture ingrained in the club which makes it easier for younger players coming into the squad since it is up to them to get themselves up to the standard required very quickly. Laverty and other senior players are a big influence on that.

It might not be pretty to watch at times and they might not receive much love from other clubs in Down but it is winning football nonetheless and you have to respect them for that especially given the relatively small population base and where they started from.   

Milltown Row2

Derrygonnelly got it so wrong. The intensity of the Kilcoo warm up vs the dg was night and day. Could over hear their manager saying to keep in touch until the first water break or something to that effect (which they did) but just got the impression that the belief was lacking. It was a case of damage limitation right from the start and eventually the wheels just came off completely. Having so ceremoniously dumped Clann Éireann in the semi final I had expected them to play with a bit more purpose. Not to take away from Kilcoo who were brilliant. They patiently got on with things, their fitness and athleticism alone are the benchmark for any aspiring club. The dg players tried a few of the dark arts and didn't get so much as a reaction from the magpies. Am I right in saying a neighbour of kilcoo will be lining out for barrs?

I didn't see the warm ups but noticed after the first couple of runs the kilcoo lads looked a bit punctured, but that only lasted a few minutes then they were motoring the rest of the game, I used to hate warm ups, but done right they certainly set you up for the rest of the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Was a shame not too see much celebration but Dg contributed to that, as someone else said Kc have had harder training sessions

Warm ups always interested me, its really on the player to know what works for them, there's no one size fits all, some need to break the first wind in the warm up others feel drained doing that, it seems as though Kc are superbly conditioned and coached (OK no doubt they are), but with Dg being so poor on the day its hard to figure exactly where Kc are at, the next day out will tell i suppose, would be nice to have the AI Club back in Ulster

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on January 17, 2022, 11:56:26 AM
Was a shame not too see much celebration but Dg contributed to that, as someone else said Kc have had harder training sessions

Warm ups always interested me, its really on the player to know what works for them, there's no one size fits all, some need to break the first wind in the warm up others feel drained doing that, it seems as though Kc are superbly conditioned and coached (OK no doubt they are), but with Dg being so poor on the day its hard to figure exactly where Kc are at, the next day out will tell i suppose, would be nice to have the AI Club back in Ulster

We can certainly judge them on the Glen game, and seeing how tough it was from Glen to get over the line against the Donegal champions, its a fair enough reflection of how well they can play.

For whatever reason, DG got it all wrong on the day, and there is no hiding place when that happens, that doesn't make them a bad team either and no doubt if they get past their own championship again they'll come back better prepared
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2022, 12:53:22 PM

We can certainly judge them on the Glen game, and seeing how tough it was from Glen to get over the line against the Donegal champions, its a fair enough reflection of how well they can play.

For whatever reason, DG got it all wrong on the day, and there is no hiding place when that happens, that doesn't make them a bad team either and no doubt if they get past their own championship again they'll come back better prepared

I listened to the Derrygonnelly manager being interviewed before the game and remarked on just how nervous he sounded and that was exactly the way their team appeared on the pitch. They played not to lose or to keep the score down and looked frightened in that first half in particular. Probably they were never going to win that game no mater how they approached it but it would have been better to die with their boots on not left wondering.

At the time the Kilcoo Glenn game was flagged up as the de facto Ulster final and that is exactly how it transpired. It may even be the case that it was the virtual AI final if Kilcoo can continue their imperious form. The next few weeks will tell the tale.

Rossfan

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2022, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2022, 11:12:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2022, 10:24:45 PM

If kilmacaud have mannion that would make it a difficult game for them but other than that I couldn't see them beat. The Brannigan family are a family of handy footballers.
It's Kilcoo v Barrs and Pearses v Kilmacud. ;)

Come back to me on that...

Just stating a fact....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tintin25

Derrygonnelly are better than what they showed, but to be honest regardless of what tactics they deployed there was only going to be one winner.  Kilcoo look like a team on a mission.  Honestly can't see any of the remaining teams posing them a problem.

barnish oggie

Quote from: yellowcard on January 17, 2022, 01:05:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2022, 12:53:22 PM

I listened to the Derrygonnelly manager being interviewed before the game and remarked on just how nervous he sounded and that was exactly the way their team appeared on the pitch. They played not to lose or to keep the score down and looked frightened in that first half in particular. Probably they were never going to win that game no mater how they approached it but it would have been better to die with their boots on not left wondering.

At the time the Kilcoo Glenn game was flagged up as the de facto Ulster final and that is exactly how it transpired. It may even be the case that it was the virtual AI final if Kilcoo can continue their imperious form. The next few weeks will tell the tale.

Thought that too about the DG manager when he was talking before the game, seemed very nervous and that would definitely have transposed onto the players.

Armagh18

Mickey Moran has won 5/7 Ulster clubs, some record. Will he go back to the county scene if Kilcoo win the AI?

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2022, 09:58:27 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:52:37 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2022, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:19:48 AM
Quote from: SHEEDY on January 17, 2022, 09:15:13 AM
yeah, Colm McCrickard who has moved to Cork and plays for Barr's used to play for Liatroim in Down which is practically next door to kilcoo

It will add a bit of spice to it as Liatriom and Kilcoo would not pull too well.

Who does pull well with Liatroim?  ;D
LOL true. There seems to be a marmite approach to Kilcoo in the county. Some clubs love to congraulate them while others never mention them. I find it funny.
Plenty of rumours about scummy acts perpetrated by Kilcoo lads throughout the years and I'm yet to meet anyone from Down that doesnt totally despise them as a club.

I don't.

But then again we only ever play them in the camogie.  ;)

JoG2

Quote from: tintin25 on January 17, 2022, 02:00:56 PM
Derrygonnelly are better than what they showed, but to be honest regardless of what tactics they deployed there was only going to be one winner.  Kilcoo look like a team on a mission.  Honestly can't see any of the remaining teams posing them a problem.

Connacht, Leinster and Munster club champions won't cause them a problem? Big statement! As has been said, Mannion is missing for KCs, it's massive loss as he a phenomenal footballer. Really looking forward to the 2 semi finals

Rossfan

When did an Ulster team last win the Club SF AI?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Nanderson

Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2022, 08:05:44 PM
When did an Ulster team last win the Club SF AI?
cross in 2012