Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebuzz

Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 08:05:34 PM
As good as Kilcoo are I think their negativity may cost them in the end, probably Kilmacud will beat them in the final.

Definitely looked like Derrygonnelly were the more negative team today and the game was over at half time because of it.

Mikhailov

Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 09:22:10 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 16, 2022, 09:14:44 PM
They are like a team of 400 metre runners, I don't remember a more athletic club side in recent times. They are conditioned and trained like an inter county side. However in terms of footballers they have very few stand out players but the team is greater than the sum of the parts.

Very hard to play against and if Mannion is out for the rest of the season then I think they'll go on and win the AI title. It's admirable what they've done for a small rural club but it definitely hasn't been pretty to watch.

Agree, the pace is very difficult to stop. They also seem to be a very light team, quite small but so quick to get close too.

Most inter county teams are probably carrying too much weight to play like this. People were saying Derrygonnelly were a team of big lumps of men but it never really made a difference today.

I wouldn't necessarily agree they are a light team but they are certainly lean & strong. Obviously are very well conditioned in the gym work and the pitch work. Every player can take and give the physical hits & cover the ground at pace.
Near the end today on a fast counter attack the Derrygonnelly no4 had all day to line up and smash Jerome Johnson and he did. Johnson immediately gets up, unflinched, Kilcoo lads nearby took no notice of the hit and the no4 gets black carded. Summed them up I thought - just a ruthless, efficient outfit.
Another point on their conditioning is that it is nearly almost the same team (very few injuries) which indicates a high level of S&C work. 

imtommygunn

Their mobility and movement are very impressive. They are a team who have conducted themselves in ways I wouldn't be fond of but they have reached another level and are streets ahead of most. They just played the game on their terms from what I saw and opened up when they needed to.

If kilmacaud have mannion that would make it a difficult game for them but other than that I couldn't see them beat. The Brannigan family are a family of handy footballers.

snoopdog

Quote from: Nanderson on January 16, 2022, 08:21:13 PM
Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 08:05:34 PM
As good as Kilcoo are I think their negativity may cost them in the end, probably Kilmacud will beat them in the final.
I'll tell you this from experience Kilcoo are equally as impressive in a shoot out game than they are at defensive style football
I would agree. I've seen kilcoo play football when they need to. They weren't the negative side today or against Ramor. They can mix it. I think they will have too much for what's left. Pearces possibly the dark horses.

Rossfan

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2022, 10:24:45 PM

If kilmacaud have mannion that would make it a difficult game for them but other than that I couldn't see them beat. The Brannigan family are a family of handy footballers.
It's Kilcoo v Barrs and Pearses v Kilmacud. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bannside

What we saw from Kilcoo this year was nothing short of a managerial/coaching masterclass. Yes, there's a good base of talented players and natural athletes, but yesterday's performance was as complete to perfect as you could imagine. It ticked just about every box.

Whether they go defensive or all out attack it dosent matter, this team are trained to within an inch of their lives. In particular, two aspects stand out, total unselfishness and level of support play. And don't even mention fitness or conditioning.

It's as professional a set up as you can get, very obviously Mickey Conleith and co are throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at bringing home the Andy Markham. Yesterday was just another step on that journey.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2022, 11:12:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2022, 10:24:45 PM

It's Kilcoo v Barrs and Pearses v Kilmacud. ;)

Come back to me on that...

Armagh18

Kilcoo are some outfit. Don't know what Derrygonnelly were at playing like that, didnt have  hope of breaking out and getting scores. Kilcoo full back was very impressive as was Daryl Branagan, some boost to get him back. I dont even think it will matter that much if Mannion plays or not tbh he'll have a hard time against that defence.

general_lee

Derrygonnelly got it so wrong. The intensity of the Kilcoo warm up vs the dg was night and day. Could over hear their manager saying to keep in touch until the first water break or something to that effect (which they did) but just got the impression that the belief was lacking. It was a case of damage limitation right from the start and eventually the wheels just came off completely. Having so ceremoniously dumped Clann Éireann in the semi final I had expected them to play with a bit more purpose. Not to take away from Kilcoo who were brilliant. They patiently got on with things, their fitness and athleticism alone are the benchmark for any aspiring club. The dg players tried a few of the dark arts and didn't get so much as a reaction from the magpies. Am I right in saying a neighbour of kilcoo will be lining out for barrs?

SHEEDY

Quote from: general_lee on January 17, 2022, 09:09:18 AM
Derrygonnelly got it so wrong. The intensity of the Kilcoo warm up vs the dg was night and day. Could over hear their manager saying to keep in touch until the first water break or something to that effect (which they did) but just got the impression that the belief was lacking. It was a case of damage limitation right from the start and eventually the wheels just came off completely. Having so ceremoniously dumped Clann Éireann in the semi final I had expected them to play with a bit more purpose. Not to take away from Kilcoo who were brilliant. They patiently got on with things, their fitness and athleticism alone are the benchmark for any aspiring club. The dg players tried a few of the dark arts and didn't get so much as a reaction from the magpies. Am I right in saying a neighbour of kilcoo will be lining out for barrs?
yeah, Colm McCrickard who has moved to Cork and plays for Barr's used to play for Liatroim in Down which is practically next door to kilcoo
nil satis nisi optimum

Truth hurts

Quote from: SHEEDY on January 17, 2022, 09:15:13 AM
yeah, Colm McCrickard who has moved to Cork and plays for Barr's used to play for Liatroim in Down which is practically next door to kilcoo

It will add a bit of spice to it as Liatriom and Kilcoo would not pull too well.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:19:48 AM

It will add a bit of spice to it as Liatriom and Kilcoo would not pull too well.

Who does pull well with Liatroim?  ;D

Truth hurts

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2022, 09:39:11 AM

LOL true. There seems to be a marmite approach to Kilcoo in the county. Some clubs love to congraulate them while others never mention them. I find it funny.

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:52:37 AM

LOL true. There seems to be a marmite approach to Kilcoo in the county. Some clubs love to congraulate them while others never mention them. I find it funny.
Plenty of rumours about scummy acts perpetrated by Kilcoo lads throughout the years and I'm yet to meet anyone from Down that doesnt totally despise them as a club.   

SHEEDY

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2022, 09:58:27 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 17, 2022, 09:52:37 AM

Plenty of rumours about scummy acts perpetrated by Kilcoo lads throughout the years and I'm yet to meet anyone from Down that doesnt totally despise them as a club.   
plenty of scummy acts surely but they wouldn't be the only club to cross the line in certain instances. Because they're kilcoo they probably get highlighted more than others,  a lot of it comes down to jealousy.
nil satis nisi optimum