Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on December 19, 2021, 08:55:05 PM
Quote from: The Trap on December 19, 2021, 08:21:55 PM
Feck me lads if you didn't find that game enjoyable and intriguing to watch you may find another sport.

When's the bowls on or when does Wimbledon start ?
That wasn't gaelic
Fuckin dung it was
If people found it intriguing and enjoyable well then each to their own..

I suspect it was due to the scores being close, it kept me watching what was an otherwise rugby league like contest. Bouts of safe possession and 2 sides scared of making mistakes. Johnstone's goal was a rare moment of risk taking in an otherwise forgettable match.

square_ball

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 19, 2021, 07:56:47 PM
Real Ulster club football battle there, Kilcoo's greater experience and know how got them a probably deserved win. Jerome Johnston was kept pretty quiet but one slip and he was in. Kilcoo always seem to do enough to get the win. Miceal Rooney deserved man of the match I thought.

What does this mean in non cliche practical terms? Hear this all the time about this famous Ulster club experience. Kilcoo scored a game defining goal following a poor kick out. That was the difference in the sides in a poor match. Experience? It's means sweet FA.

Dessie Dolan another man uses this dung all the time. An older player scores 'uses his experience' then a younger player misses 'shows his inexperience'. As I say it's cliched nonsense.

Milltown Row2

Ok so experience counts for nothing, both teams in the final funnily enough are regular teams in the Ulster championship.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

grounded

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 19, 2021, 08:09:05 PM
Thought Glass was the best player on the pitch. Why they went short for the kick out when they were doing well at Midfield was strange. Kilcoo are a very fit team but may struggle with that big crokes team if they met them.

Yes i thought that was very odd as well given their dominance in midfield. Glass made a few driving runs and seemed to open the Kilcoo defence up at will, but that didnt happen enough.
       One thing very noticeable was all the Kilcoo players very comfortable in possession and able to carry out of trouble.
      It would be a very different game if they met the like of Kilmacud, but not Derrygonnelly.
     A number of positives for Kilcoo being able to bring on very experienced players like the 2 Brannigans and Greenan.
    Kilcoo will be delighted. Glen best team in the competition and now knocked out.

Wildweasel74

Game was terrible to watch in all honestly, went and made my dinner around the 40th min mark and may have come bck and not missed a score.

Mario

Thought Glen looked like they were going to win the game in the period just before they conceded that goal. Ultimately that mistake was difference in two teams. Kilcoo are a very hard team to beat, have a few fliers in their team as well but I don't like watching them at all.

SHEEDY

Quote from: grounded on December 19, 2021, 09:23:06 PM
Thought Glass was the best player on the pitch. Why they went short for the kick out when they were doing well at Midfield was strange. Kilcoo are a very fit team but may struggle with that big crokes team if they met them.

Yes i thought that was very odd as well given their dominance in midfield. Glass made a few driving runs and seemed to open the Kilcoo defence up at will, but that didnt happen enough.
       One thing very noticeable was all the Kilcoo players very comfortable in possession and able to carry out of trouble.
      It would be a very different game if they met the like of Kilmacud, but not Derrygonnelly.
     A number of positives for Kilcoo being able to bring on very experienced players like the 2 Brannigans and Greenan.
    Kilcoo will be delighted. Glen best team in the competition and now knocked out.

glen best team in competition? They may be in years to come but not this year, that will be going to kilcoo or Derrygonnelly. After all the hype I was disappointed with Glen.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Glen were only going to win the game if Glass dominated midfield. He hit one fine free, and got a brilliant point from play, but was otherwise crowded out of it and seldom managed a forward run. Even if Kilcoo had not come up with the goal, their pace and calmness in possession would have got them over the line.

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2021, 09:13:36 PM
Ok so experience counts for nothing, both teams in the final funnily enough are regular teams in the Ulster championship.

Both teams are in the final because they are good teams. What did experience have to do with Conal Jones nailing a 40m free with the last kick v Dromore or a goalkeeping mistake resulting in a goal for Kilcoo. Come on I'm all ears.  The most overused term in sport is this 'experience' nonsense.

Just maybe and I may be barking up the wrong tree here but Derrygonnelly are a better side than Dromore and Clann Eireann and Kilcoo are a better team than Ramor Utd and Glen. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and they just won because they've played in the competition a few more times.

grounded

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 19, 2021, 09:39:07 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 19, 2021, 09:23:06 PM

glen best team in competition? They may be in years to come but not this year, that will be going to kilcoo or Derrygonnelly. After all the hype I was disappointed with Glen.

Your right of course. Meant to say best on paper. I definitely think they would have went on to win AI had they gotten over Kilcoo. They will def be back.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: square_ball on December 19, 2021, 10:02:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2021, 09:13:36 PM

Both teams are in the final because they are good teams. What did experience have to do with Conal Jones nailing a 40m free with the last kick v Dromore or a goalkeeping mistake resulting in a goal for Kilcoo. Come on I'm all ears.  The most overused term in sport is this 'experience' nonsense.

Just maybe and I may be barking up the wrong tree here but Derrygonnelly are a better side than Dromore and Clann Eireann and Kilcoo are a better team than Ramor Utd and Glen. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and they just won because they've played in the competition a few more times.

So it's not strange that both teams in the final are regulars and the likes of Tyrone club teams are pathetic in the competition because they have so many different winners in their own competition?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Glen didn't lose that game at Midfield, they lack a big scoring threat like, Shane McGuigan of Slaughtneil.

rodney trotter

Yeah they lack a.focal point. Bradley was put inside but didn't get much ball in. With all the bodies back and a slow approach it didn't suit. Tallon a good player but wasn't effective.

onefaircounty

Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 19, 2021, 09:50:44 PM
Glen were only going to win the game if Glass dominated midfield. He hit one fine free, and got a brilliant point from play, but was otherwise crowded out of it and seldom managed a forward run. Even if Kilcoo had not come up with the goal, their pace and calmness in possession would have got them over the line.

Glass was excellent.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Horrible stuff. Glen can have no complaints.