Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: FermGael on November 16, 2021, 11:12:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2021, 09:51:15 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 16, 2021, 09:46:33 AM
Is Tyrone not the best championship in Ireland? Creating more buzz than the FIFA world cup, surely they are favourites?

Apparently it is but I've yet to see any evidence of that, has a senior club team from Tyrone even got to Croke park?

In fairness they have quality players but because the championship (straight knockout so limited games) is so intense they are fecked afterwards

Well that excuse doesn't exist this year.
They have 3 weeks and the Fermanagh final is this weekend so that's wee buns for them .
They then play the winners of the Antrim v Armagh game and they are both basically first time winners.
So they will be well rested for the final and they will probably play a team who has had at least 2 very tough games .
Dromore's to lose.
After all it's the best club championship in Ireland

Mind you with the strength of the Fermanagh club championship we can expect the county to be winning a first Ulster any day now, or maybe a championship match for starters.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 18, 2021, 08:51:26 PM
Quote from: onefineday on December 18, 2021, 08:12:16 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 18, 2021, 08:04:57 PM
Derrygonnelly completely deserved that. Fair play to Clann Eireann. It's great to see their years of hard work paying off. I remember attending an u8 training session in 2004 or 2005 with my brother and nephew. I remember being told at that session that my nephew would only likely play for the B team at underage because they were building a team to win the Armagh Championship by 2020 and the All Ireland by 2025. Whilst they may or may not meet those goals they have fairly given it a rattle.

What a ludicrous thing to say to an 8 year old.  Few things get me more rattled than that type of shite.
100%, ridiculous.

Sound more like something the club gobshite would come out with rather than anyone of consequence.

There's no way CE would have achieved what they have over the last decade while writing off 8 year olds.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 18, 2021, 08:55:56 PM
Does that , or did that, derrygonnelly centre half back ever play for Fermanagh? He seems like a hardy boy and a good footballer too.

Declan  cassidy?
Sounds familiar re the county team
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

Yeah. Looked like a very good player but couldn't recall seeing him for the county.

tintin25

Declan Cassidy - think he was on a couple of McKenna cup panels (talking 13/14 years ago) previously.  Always been reknown as a very good club footballer in Fermanagh and actually won senior footballer of the year at recent fermanagh allstar awards.  He's going rightly for a boy of 38.

tintin25

Actually think Derrygonnelly would have seen that match to conclusion far more comfortably had they not went down to 14.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 18, 2021, 09:10:47 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 16, 2021, 11:12:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2021, 09:51:15 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 16, 2021, 09:46:33 AM
Is Tyrone not the best championship in Ireland? Creating more buzz than the FIFA world cup, surely they are favourites?

Apparently it is but I've yet to see any evidence of that, has a senior club team from Tyrone even got to Croke park?

In fairness they have quality players but because the championship (straight knockout so limited games) is so intense they are fecked afterwards

Well that excuse doesn't exist this year.
They have 3 weeks and the Fermanagh final is this weekend so that's wee buns for them .
They then play the winners of the Antrim v Armagh game and they are both basically first time winners.
So they will be well rested for the final and they will probably play a team who has had at least 2 very tough games .
Dromore's to lose.
After all it's the best club championship in Ireland

Mind you with the strength of the Fermanagh club championship we can expect the county to be winning a first Ulster any day now, or maybe a championship match for starters.

Fermanagh have been beating Tyrone club teams for years, county teams different, but you're intelligent enough to know that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Fair play to DG. No complaints about that at all. Their experience showed. That said if the ball broke differently a couple of times and a bit better decision making on a couple of decisions it could be us looking forward to the final.
On the DG red card I felt the lad was unlucky. That rule needs to be readdressed. Didn't see what McCarthy done to get sent off, it was on the opposite side of the pitch to where I was

Lucifer

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 18, 2021, 10:01:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 18, 2021, 08:55:56 PM
Does that , or did that, derrygonnelly centre half back ever play for Fermanagh? He seems like a hardy boy and a good footballer too.
Hardy? Went down holding his face after a push in the chest. Par for the course I suppose but hardy, no.

Was this the incident with Turbitt? It was relatively harmless but it was a push with contact to the face and whilst Cassidy remonstrated with the ref, he certainly didn't go down and unfortunately we're at a stage where that is actually commendable in itself.

If there was another incident then I apologise ...

Well done Derrygonnelly, fully deserving of their place in the final.

Gold

Quote from: tintin25 on December 18, 2021, 10:02:12 PM
Declan Cassidy - think he was on a couple of McKenna cup panels (talking 13/14 years ago) previously.  Always been reknown as a very good club footballer in Fermanagh and actually won senior footballer of the year at recent fermanagh allstar awards.  He's going rightly for a boy of 38.

Should've played for years. 100mph Hardy boy, great footballer but his brother Kevin who played till aged about 43 last year was arguably the best forward in Fermanagh for 20 years but never played County.

Derrygonnelly were class and well worth their victory. Laverty wrong to give the 2nd yellow, the pull meant McGullion slipped into the man , bad miss by the ref.....could've changed the game, DG did well to hang on
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

David McKeown

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on December 18, 2021, 09:13:50 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 18, 2021, 08:51:26 PM
Quote from: onefineday on December 18, 2021, 08:12:16 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 18, 2021, 08:04:57 PM
Derrygonnelly completely deserved that. Fair play to Clann Eireann. It's great to see their years of hard work paying off. I remember attending an u8 training session in 2004 or 2005 with my brother and nephew. I remember being told at that session that my nephew would only likely play for the B team at underage because they were building a team to win the Armagh Championship by 2020 and the All Ireland by 2025. Whilst they may or may not meet those goals they have fairly given it a rattle.

What a ludicrous thing to say to an 8 year old.  Few things get me more rattled than that type of shite.
100%, ridiculous.

Sound more like something the club gobshite would come out with rather than anyone of consequence.

There's no way CE would have achieved what they have over the last decade while writing off 8 year olds.

To be fair I don't think they were so much wiring him off as saying we've picked the 20 kids or whatever and we want to focus on them and won't be chopping and changing or giving everyone an equal run out but he's free to join our secondary team which will be more about making sure everyone plays a similar amount.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

FermGael

Derrygonnelly I thought were good last night and were no where near top gear.
The return of Shane McGullion up front has given them a new dimension . Again it's just a pity they don't have Micheal Gylnn available .

They have an excellent midfield , two reliable free takers and a very good defence. They have a good bench as well
They will give Kilcoo or Glen a serious test.
They should have beaten Kilcoo a few years ago only for some poor goal keeping .
Whoever wins the other semi final will be massive favourites.
Derrygonnelly will be a tough nut for then to crack simply because todays game is being billed as nearly an all Ireland final
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

general_lee

DG never really looked in danger but very uncharacteristic from CE, gave away as many goals in ten mins as they had all year in championship football. Add to that the forwards, which is where their strength lies, didn't step up to the plate, failed to break lines and missed too many easy chances. Even down to 14 men DG had enough about them to see the game out when CE could have possibly capitalised. DG definitely have it in them to take either team in the semi final but I'd still have them as slight underdogs

redzone

Has Michael Gylnn ever played for Derrygonnelly. I don't remember ever seeing his name for them in team sheets.

FermGael

Quote from: general_lee on December 19, 2021, 09:21:11 AM
DG never really looked in danger but very uncharacteristic from CE, gave away as many goals in ten mins as they had all year in championship football. Add to that the forwards, which is where their strength lies, didn't step up to the plate, failed to break lines and missed too many easy chances. Even down to 14 men DG had enough about them to see the game out when CE could have possibly capitalised. DG definitely have it in them to take either team in the semi final but I'd still have them as slight underdogs

They are 3/1 at the moment for it
Glenn are 4/5
Kilcoo 2/1.

They will be massive underdogs with the bookies

Not sure if Gylnn has played a senior championship game for DG.
Am sure he has played league games .

Declan Cassidy probably should have played county football for Fermanagh but over the past 20 years Fermanaghs strength has been our half backs . We have had alot of very good players in that position..
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered