Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: HiMucker on December 16, 2021, 12:23:11 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 03:40:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on December 14, 2021, 03:25:08 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2021, 01:54:14 PM
I think Glass coming has made a big difference too.

Undoubtedly, great player and he still has the potential to get better. I think like most former AFL players returning it takes them a time to readjust to gaelic football but he is still at an age where he can get better. Looking at his body shape, it is fairly obvious what AFL done for him physically but the skill levels do need some time to readjust.

Never quite get this and its often put forward when lads come back from a short stint. The fella played Gaelic from 5-18, AFL from 18-22, he's 24 now, the skills are back, 6 months is enough to get back into the swing with the native game after a short stint away

Well I'm basing it on the evidence of what I've seen with the history of returning players over the years. Very few have come back better gaelic footballers after a prolonged period away. Their body shapes change physically which have both negatives and positive consequences when transferring across to gaelic football. The kicking and handpassing style is much different in AFL.

If you want another example just look at the specky he went for in the game against Scotstown. Looked great for the cameras but ultimately resulted in a foul against his side. That shows that there is still an element of his play that lingers on from AFL.
I hope your not on about the catch? Never in a million years was that a foul. An amazing fetch.

It was both. It was an amazing fetch but it was also a foul under gaelic football rules. 

yellowcard

Quote from: JoG2 on December 16, 2021, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: Taylor on December 15, 2021, 12:52:35 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 14, 2021, 06:18:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 14, 2021, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 14, 2021, 01:29:15 PM
Any predictions for the semi finals.

Clann Eireann v Derrygonnelly 
  7/4            13/2                8/13
Logic would say to go with the more experienced Derrygonnelly side here but I've a feeling Clan Eireann can pull a shock of here, but by the minimum.   

Glen             v                 Kilcoo   
4/7           7-1                15/8

Glen strong favourites for this. Kilcoo have struggled in the past against big physical sides like Glen. However they have some serious experience at this level and have real goal scoring threats. I think the bookies might be wrong on this one. Kilcoo by 3
I heard talk of maghera men backing Glen for Ulster before they'd even won Derry. I think they'll edge it. Other tie I think is more of a toss up - Derrygonnelly have the experience and attributes for winter football but CE have confidence and nothing to lose. They also don't know when they're beaten so DG could be 6 or so up and CE could still come back at them

BS. No one around the club backed us for Ulster. Kilcoo big favourites. Hopefully we can give them a game!

But Kilcoo arent big favourites.

Glen are big favourites - not only to win this game but they are odds on to win the Ulster (at the semi final stage)

Spin it all you want - Glen are the ones to beat

A toss of a coin. Glen need to be extremely patience in possession. Match ups will be very interesting. McFaul will have the ears bent off him, just hope he keeps a calm head.

I presume that you mean that Kilcoo will be out to rough McFaul up? I think he is well fit for anything Kilcoo throw at him, he is up there with the best players in Ulster on current form. It will be interesting to see if he picks up Jerome Johnstone as both players like to play their own game and I don't think Glen can afford to restrict McFaul to simply a man marking role. 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: JoG2 on December 16, 2021, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: Taylor on December 15, 2021, 12:52:35 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 14, 2021, 06:18:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 14, 2021, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 14, 2021, 01:29:15 PM
Any predictions for the semi finals.

Clann Eireann v Derrygonnelly 
  7/4            13/2                8/13
Logic would say to go with the more experienced Derrygonnelly side here but I've a feeling Clan Eireann can pull a shock of here, but by the minimum.   

Glen             v                 Kilcoo   
4/7           7-1                15/8

Glen strong favourites for this. Kilcoo have struggled in the past against big physical sides like Glen. However they have some serious experience at this level and have real goal scoring threats. I think the bookies might be wrong on this one. Kilcoo by 3
I heard talk of maghera men backing Glen for Ulster before they'd even won Derry. I think they'll edge it. Other tie I think is more of a toss up - Derrygonnelly have the experience and attributes for winter football but CE have confidence and nothing to lose. They also don't know when they're beaten so DG could be 6 or so up and CE could still come back at them

BS. No one around the club backed us for Ulster. Kilcoo big favourites. Hopefully we can give them a game!

But Kilcoo arent big favourites.

Glen are big favourites - not only to win this game but they are odds on to win the Ulster (at the semi final stage)

Spin it all you want - Glen are the ones to beat

A toss of a coin. Glen need to be extremely patience in possession. Match ups will be very interesting. McFaul will have the ears bent off him, just hope he keeps a calm head.

Lolz when did he not keep a calm head. He's a seasoned intercounty footballer!

Brick Tamlin

He won't have faced anything like he will against kilcoo. They'll be like flies round shite. They won't allow him to dictate things. Same for Glass.

Wildweasel74

They haven't got anybody fit for Glass.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 16, 2021, 10:55:56 PM
They haven't got anybody fit for Glass.

Has he been setting world in fire so far. Some pup but not main player. I think Kilcoo will won unfortunately

tbrick18

My head says Glen over Kilcoo, but there's that niggling doubt there.
Kilcco have been there and done it, Mickey Moran and Gilligan will know Glen intimately and so the combination of experience and knowledge of the opponents could swing it their way.
I'd expect a tight game, maybe even extra time. But I think Glen will edge it by a couple of points.
It would be very difficult to curtail Glass and McFaul for an entire game whilst still trying to get scores. Jack Doherty and Danny Tallon are two serious footballers too.
It's the game of the championship so far.

Taylor

So many people looking forward to this and blowing the game up.

Its going to be a shitshow isnt it  ;D

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on December 17, 2021, 11:01:21 AM
So many people looking forward to this and blowing the game up.

Its going to be a shitshow isnt it  ;D
It won't be one for the purists given it's Kilcoo playing+it's mid December. But it will be a complete dogfight and a close game that will go to the wire.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 17, 2021, 10:58:19 AM
My head says Glen over Kilcoo, but there's that niggling doubt there.
Kilcco have been there and done it, Mickey Moran and Gilligan will know Glen intimately and so the combination of experience and knowledge of the opponents could swing it their way.
I'd expect a tight game, maybe even extra time. But I think Glen will edge it by a couple of points.
It would be very difficult to curtail Glass and McFaul for an entire game whilst still trying to get scores. Jack Doherty and Danny Tallon are two serious footballers too.
It's the game of the championship so far.

What's McFaul's temperament like? Kilcoo will test the team on a few fronts lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 16, 2021, 04:41:44 PM
He won't have faced anything like he will against kilcoo. They'll be like flies round shite. They won't allow him to dictate things. Same for Glass.

He will have faced better teams than Kilcoo throughout the years.  There will be nothing new in this game that he hasnt faced before.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

toby47

Speaking to BBC Sport NI, Chrissy McKaigue says he sees Glen as favourites for this weekend's clash against the 2019 Ulster champions who were 11-point winners over Ramor United of Cavan last time out.

"Malachy and Ryan Porter have them going incredibly well," he said. "The only thing is they are playing against seasoned campaigners, the reigning Ulster champions.

"I do firmly believe that Kilcoo and Glen in another (competition) structure could be in an All-Ireland final - never mind a provincial semi-final.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Kilcoo take them down the stretch and might nip them.

"But I've got to be honest in that I see it as Glen being just about favourites because, some of the players, and the way they are playing as a collective, is absolutely awesome."

Wildweasel74

Kilcoo be favourites as champions and having made an all Ireland final, but there going to be little in it

SHEEDY

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 17, 2021, 04:56:51 PM
Kilcoo be favourites as champions and having made an all Ireland final, but there going to be little in it
not according to the bookies and majority of pundits, Glen clear favourites at short enough odds.
nil satis nisi optimum

OgraAnDun

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 17, 2021, 02:06:29 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 16, 2021, 04:41:44 PM

He will have faced better teams than Kilcoo throughout the years.  There will be nothing new in this game that he hasnt faced before.

I don't think the comment was in reference to the quality of footballer he'd be up against.