Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

I take Glen to beat Kilcoo to be honest, just too strong in the middle of the field, but they have in previous yrs blown hot and cold on any given day. So just depends which Glen team turns up.

SHEEDY

Kilcoo will love being underdogs and pundits bigging up Glen, every time people write them off they step it up again. I'd have the match more closer than the bookies think, Glen are a physically bigger team but think Kilcoo's running game can cause them problems. Kilcoo's Ulster championship know how can get them a win by a couple of points.
nil satis nisi optimum

Truth hurts

Kilcoo will win this, never underestimate them, you wont get a better price this year, fill your boots.

general

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 14, 2021, 06:18:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 14, 2021, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 14, 2021, 01:29:15 PM
Any predictions for the semi finals.

Clann Eireann v Derrygonnelly 
  7/4            13/2                8/13
Logic would say to go with the more experienced Derrygonnelly side here but I've a feeling Clan Eireann can pull a shock of here, but by the minimum.   

Glen             v                 Kilcoo   
4/7           7-1                15/8

Glen strong favourites for this. Kilcoo have struggled in the past against big physical sides like Glen. However they have some serious experience at this level and have real goal scoring threats. I think the bookies might be wrong on this one. Kilcoo by 3
I heard talk of maghera men backing Glen for Ulster before they'd even won Derry. I think they'll edge it. Other tie I think is more of a toss up - Derrygonnelly have the experience and attributes for winter football but CE have confidence and nothing to lose. They also don't know when they're beaten so DG could be 6 or so up and CE could still come back at them

BS. No one around the club backed us for Ulster. Kilcoo big favourites. Hopefully we can give them a game!

I Call BS on your BS. I witnessed a derry native absolutley "lumping" on Glen for Ulster at PP in Newry!

grounded

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 15, 2021, 08:20:03 AM
Kilcoo will win this, never underestimate them, you wont get a better price this year, fill your boots.

I think your right. Maybe put a saver on the draw!

Armagh18

No idea how people are writing them off. Unless them Derry lads are taking a lead out of the Crossmaglen cute hoorism book...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 15, 2021, 09:58:42 AM
No idea how people are writing them off. Unless them Derry lads are taking a lead out of the Crossmaglen cute hoorism book...

I hope not....we have protected rights over that!

I remember when we won in 1996 and we played Blayney in the semis. All the talk was that Blayney would beat the crowd of kids from Cross as they had too much experience in Ulster. Men walked into Chums bar on the Square and lumped thousands on the table and asked men to match it, which they did. Was a costly game of football for some Monaghan men.

Whilst you'd generally go with the experienced team in these games I think in Glen and CE you have 2 up and coming teams who have it in them to make the final. I said before the Armagh final that I fancied CE to make the Ulster final and I was laughed at. I genuinely think they have the bounce this year to make it.

Glen remind me of my team. Physically strong, mobile and talented. If they get into their groove they can beat Kilcoo. The only thing about Kilcoo is that I think they can drag a game down to their terms and in Gillian they have a very clever manager. I reckon Glen will need to get a very strong start and pull out a 5-6 point lead as if it gets into a slug out then Kilcoo win.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: general on December 15, 2021, 09:25:06 AM

Logic would say to go with the more experienced Derrygonnelly side here but I've a feeling Clan Eireann can pull a shock of here, but by the minimum.   

Glen strong favourites for this. Kilcoo have struggled in the past against big physical sides like Glen. However they have some serious experience at this level and have real goal scoring threats. I think the bookies might be wrong on this one. Kilcoo by 3
I heard talk of maghera men backing Glen for Ulster before they'd even won Derry. I think they'll edge it. Other tie I think is more of a toss up - Derrygonnelly have the experience and attributes for winter football but CE have confidence and nothing to lose. They also don't know when they're beaten so DG could be 6 or so up and CE could still come back at them

BS. No one around the club backed us for Ulster. Kilcoo big favourites. Hopefully we can give them a game!

I Call BS on your BS. I witnessed a derry native absolutley "lumping" on Glen for Ulster at PP in Newry!

So Maghera men to Derry native.....hmmmm

Taylor

But Kilcoo arent big favourites.

Glen are big favourites - not only to win this game but they are odds on to win the Ulster (at the semi final stage)

Spin it all you want - Glen are the ones to beat

rrhf

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 15, 2021, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: general on December 15, 2021, 09:25:06 AM

What features makes a Derry native so distinctive that he stands out from the Down / Armagh people in Newry?

yellowcard

Quote from: grounded on December 15, 2021, 09:31:56 AM

I think your right. Maybe put a saver on the draw!

I think the draw is the safest bet based on those odds. Certainly wouldn't be backing Glen at those prices.

toby47

I most definitely won't be filling my boots on that one

HiMucker

Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 03:40:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on December 14, 2021, 03:25:08 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2021, 01:54:14 PM
I think Glass coming has made a big difference too.

Undoubtedly, great player and he still has the potential to get better. I think like most former AFL players returning it takes them a time to readjust to gaelic football but he is still at an age where he can get better. Looking at his body shape, it is fairly obvious what AFL done for him physically but the skill levels do need some time to readjust.

Never quite get this and its often put forward when lads come back from a short stint. The fella played Gaelic from 5-18, AFL from 18-22, he's 24 now, the skills are back, 6 months is enough to get back into the swing with the native game after a short stint away

Well I'm basing it on the evidence of what I've seen with the history of returning players over the years. Very few have come back better gaelic footballers after a prolonged period away. Their body shapes change physically which have both negatives and positive consequences when transferring across to gaelic football. The kicking and handpassing style is much different in AFL.

If you want another example just look at the specky he went for in the game against Scotstown. Looked great for the cameras but ultimately resulted in a foul against his side. That shows that there is still an element of his play that lingers on from AFL.
I hope your not on about the catch? Never in a million years was that a foul. An amazing fetch.

Armagh18

Quote from: HiMucker on December 16, 2021, 12:23:11 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 03:40:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on December 14, 2021, 03:25:08 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2021, 01:54:14 PM
I think Glass coming has made a big difference too.

Undoubtedly, great player and he still has the potential to get better. I think like most former AFL players returning it takes them a time to readjust to gaelic football but he is still at an age where he can get better. Looking at his body shape, it is fairly obvious what AFL done for him physically but the skill levels do need some time to readjust.

Never quite get this and its often put forward when lads come back from a short stint. The fella played Gaelic from 5-18, AFL from 18-22, he's 24 now, the skills are back, 6 months is enough to get back into the swing with the native game after a short stint away

Well I'm basing it on the evidence of what I've seen with the history of returning players over the years. Very few have come back better gaelic footballers after a prolonged period away. Their body shapes change physically which have both negatives and positive consequences when transferring across to gaelic football. The kicking and handpassing style is much different in AFL.

If you want another example just look at the specky he went for in the game against Scotstown. Looked great for the cameras but ultimately resulted in a foul against his side. That shows that there is still an element of his play that lingers on from AFL.
I hope your not on about the catch? Never in a million years was that a foul. An amazing fetch.
Is kneeing someone in the back not a foul?

JoG2

Quote from: Taylor on December 15, 2021, 12:52:35 PM

But Kilcoo arent big favourites.

Glen are big favourites - not only to win this game but they are odds on to win the Ulster (at the semi final stage)

Spin it all you want - Glen are the ones to beat

A toss of a coin. Glen need to be extremely patience in possession. Match ups will be very interesting. McFaul will have the ears bent off him, just hope he keeps a calm head.