Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Glen have been the better side today but I doubt Kilcoo will be as tactically naive. Scotstown gave McFaul the run of the pitch. I think Glen are weak defensively and that will suit Kilcoo who flood men back and play on the counter. It should be a close contest but I'd favour Kilcoo based on what I've seen. They also have Mickey Moran in the dugout who will know Glen inside out.

It could be one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the year and for me it's the de facto Ulster final in all but name.

straightred

Quote from: yellowcard on December 05, 2021, 04:32:09 PM
Glen have been the better side today but I doubt Kilcoo will be as tactically naive. Scotstown gave McFaul the run of the pitch. I think Glen are weak defensively and that will suit Kilcoo who flood men back and play on the counter. It should be a close contest but I'd favour Kilcoo based on what I've seen. They also have Mickey Moran in the dugout who will know Glen inside out.

It could be one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the year and for me it's the de facto Ulster final in all but name.
there's the 2nd red... dont think there was much contact but this game is over anyway

Estimator

Hit him late, well after the whistle. Stupidity, pictures aren't clear, but it seems like the linesman reckons Hughes connected with his first.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hoof Hearted

Glen had 11 different scorers
Impressive
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bennydorano

Glen v Kilcoo should be tasty. Athletic Grounds for that one I'd say? Nice and handy.

Well done Clann Eireann as well, can't say I fancied you beforehand but a great win and while Derrygonnelly will be strong favs for that semi Clann Eireann really have nothing to fear at this stage, give it a lash.

Wildweasel74

Glen a better team than Kilcoo, but experience playing ulster club fball counts for alot from Kilcoo point of view.

yellowcard

Yes, well done to Clann Eireann it's never easy for a first timer to progress in Ulster but they have a decent chance of making an Ulster final now although Derrygonelly will be expected to win that one being a more seasoned outfit.

yellowcard

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 05, 2021, 04:49:35 PM
Glen a better team than Kilcoo, but experience playing ulster club fball counts for alot from Kilcoo point of view.

Would agree that they are a much better footballing side but Kilcoo are notoriously difficult to play against and they will have every trick in the book.

It's that contrast of styles that set up what should be a humdinger of a contest. Most of those Glen lads have multiple Ulster titles albeit at underage level but it all helps.

I doubt if we'll see Mickey Moran doing a McGuckin and sitting out this game against his own club!

sid waddell

Quote from: lenny on December 05, 2021, 04:31:35 PM
Quote from: straightred on December 05, 2021, 04:29:43 PM
Quote from: Estimator on December 05, 2021, 04:27:06 PM
McQuillan has been riding Glen since the sending off. Shocking that Beggan got away with that.
dont know about that... scotstown should have had a penalty in the 1st half for a blatant push. Apart from that there hasn't been any obvious mistakes

That's a very dangerous tackle by beggan. Red card all day long
Thought it was a fair tackle, ball was on the ground it was there to be played for and he won it. Darren Cues can't have any argument with being put off though and his brother didn't seem to have any argument about being put off either.

An Watcher

Thought it was a very soft sending off for Darren Hughes.  Didn't catch the man at all even though he went down holding his face.  Cameras missed the other sending off so nit sure how anyone can comment

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2021, 04:57:59 PM
McQuillan has been riding Glen since the sending off. Shocking that Beggan got away with that.
dont know about that... scotstown should have had a penalty in the 1st half for a blatant push. Apart from that there hasn't been any obvious mistakes

Thought it was a fair tackle, ball was on the ground it was there to be played for and he won it. Darren Cues can't have any argument with being put off though and his brother didn't seem to have any argument about being put off either.
I thought so too. We dont want the game to go the way soccer has gone. He had to get it spot on and he did. Didnt matter much in the end anyway. The Glen would have won even if it had stayed 15 v 15

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2021, 04:57:59 PM

He was literally screaming in McQuillans face!

Mikhailov

Glen v Kilcoo has all the makings of a great game. Both outfits were impressive this weekend and arguably are two of the best teams left in contention for the AI club.

Both teams drop everyone back behind the ball when defending and then attack at pace. From a scoring threat, Glen have the bigger range of scorers but Kilcoo always get goals and goals are a big factor in tight winter games. Will be interesting to see how it all develops

Similar styles but Kilcoo have been doing it for years so they know it inside out and trust the system. Glen struggled with a deep defending counter attacking team last day v Eunans so they will look to get ahead and draw Kilcoo out of their defensive shape and then just pick off scores when they get a chance. Kilcoo very hard to play against but Glen will be the best team they will have played in a long time.

Will be cagey for the opening half as both teams know that if they go 3/4 down then it will be very difficult to come back from that against quality opponents.

It all leads to an intriguing clash and the AG is the perfect venue for it. Should be a great atmosphere - hopefully a Saturday evening at 6pm

Orior

Quote from: yellowcard on December 05, 2021, 04:52:06 PM
Yes, well done to Clann Eireann it's never easy for a first timer to progress in Ulster but they have a decent chance of making an Ulster final now although Derrygonelly will be expected to win that one being a more seasoned outfit.

Is the McDonald lad any relation to Rory McIlroy?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Wildweasel74

Beggan was lucky, it was a def free and at least a yellow card, i got send off for similar yrs ago. He diving in there foot first.