Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfetones

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2022, 05:22:45 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on January 16, 2022, 05:21:10 PM
Quote from: Wolfetones on January 16, 2022, 05:15:54 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on January 16, 2022, 05:02:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2022, 04:56:21 PM
Quote from: Wolfetones on January 16, 2022, 04:35:57 PM
How the Kilcoo goal was allowed to stand is baffling. Clearly fouled the ball and ref fairly close to it. Not that it will matter it appears.

What was the foul?
think he took like 6 steps would have been harsh to disallow it

If you include the steps he fouled it twice. He dummied the ball from one hand to the other. It's irrelevant in the grander scale of things.
not a foul because he didnt lose contact of the ball between going from one hand to the other

Yeah I've looked at it twice there, would have been the slightest of transfers if it was. Cheeky and clever to do that

I haven't watched it back but I would have called him for it.

grounded

Very disappointing display from Derrygonnelly. They setup to defend and hit on the break but only managed to defend(poorly). Kilcoo dominated from start to finish.
       Kilcoo still looked fresh at the end and were fit to take on some quality players from the bench. Will be hard to beat.

Wildweasel74

Out of Interest, I always wondered why that hand transfer was a foul.

Nanderson

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 16, 2022, 06:25:27 PM
i think its seen as throwing the ball

twohands!!!

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 16, 2022, 06:25:27 PM

Maybe it was felt that if a player could juggle it back and forth between hands constantly, that it would making tackling too hard ?

Maybe a hatred of the ambidextrous? I've a vivid memory of a nun whacking a lad sitting in front of me with a ruler for using his left hand to write.

Struggling to think of any one reason behind it. If the rule was abandoned would it make that much difference to the game?

The actual rule is

QuoteWhen a player is in possession of the ball, it may be
:-changed from one hand to the other once, with the original holding hand maintaining contact until the change is completed;

Also like a whole chunk of rules in the GAA rule book it's very badly written - a significant amount of the time when in possession you will have two hands on the ball - especially when you catch it - and it ignores this aspect completely. It just assumes a player will be holding the ball with one hand.

I think the rule book should explicitly state what the rule is with regard to hopping the ball and soloing in relation to this rule.

I've seen players switch hands with a hop on occasion and they often seem to get away with it, even though technically it's seems like it should be a foul.

Similarly with soloing I've seen occasions where a player will switch hands via the solo due to a tackle or a shoulder and and I don't think it's fully clear whether or not this should be regarded as a foul because I'm not sure if not being in full control of the ball for a micro-second means that they weren't in possession.

full moon

As good as Kilcoo are I think their negativity may cost them in the end, probably Kilmacud will beat them in the final.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 08:05:34 PM
As good as Kilcoo are I think their negativity may cost them in the end, probably Kilmacud will beat them in the final.

If you're scoring 3-10 I don't see it as negative
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Nanderson

I'll tell you this from experience Kilcoo are equally as impressive in a shoot out game than they are at defensive style football

charlieTully

How were they negative. Their opposition literally refused to try anything. At one stage I thought kilcoo could have kept possession for a 3-1 victory. Bizarre. Derrygonnelly management owe them lads one hell of an apology setting up like that. Go and try and win a game of football ffs.

full moon

Quote from: Nanderson on January 16, 2022, 08:21:13 PM
I'll tell you this from experience Kilcoo are equally as impressive in a shoot out game than they are at defensive style football
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2022, 08:18:16 PM
]

If you're scoring 3-10 I don't see it as negative

They do get a lot of men behind the ball though. They break as such pace mind, probably one of the fastest teams man for man I've watched.

Will be interesting on the bigger pitch in Croker. Are the semi finals in HQ too?

yellowcard

They are like a team of 400 metre runners, I don't remember a more athletic club side in recent times. They are conditioned and trained like an inter county side. However in terms of footballers they have very few stand out players but the team is greater than the sum of the parts.

Very hard to play against and if Mannion is out for the rest of the season then I think they'll go on and win the AI title. It's admirable what they've done for a small rural club but it definitely hasn't been pretty to watch.

full moon

Quote from: charlieTully on January 16, 2022, 09:11:25 PM

How were they negative. Their opposition literally refused to try anything. At one stage I thought kilcoo could have kept possession for a 3-1 victory. Bizarre. Derrygonnelly management owe them lads one hell of an apology setting up like that. Go and try and win a game of football ffs.

I don't think they were negative today but just in general they get a lot of men behind the ball in their own 45.

Derrygonnelly probably weren't going to win in any system. Could not get scores. It was fairly tight until the first goal but a poor game overall really.

full moon

Quote from: yellowcard on January 16, 2022, 09:14:44 PM
They are like a team of 400 metre runners, I don't remember a more athletic club side in recent times. They are conditioned and trained like an inter county side. However in terms of footballers they have very few stand out players but the team is greater than the sum of the parts.

Very hard to play against and if Mannion is out for the rest of the season then I think they'll go on and win the AI title. It's admirable what they've done for a small rural club but it definitely hasn't been pretty to watch.

Agree, the pace is very difficult to stop. They also seem to be a very light team, quite small but so quick to get close too.

Most inter county teams are probably carrying too much weight to play like this. People were saying Derrygonnelly were a team of big lumps of men but it never really made a difference today.

yellowcard

Quote from: full moon on January 16, 2022, 09:22:10 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 16, 2022, 09:14:44 PM

Agree, the pace is very difficult to stop. They also seem to be a very light team, quite small but so quick to get close too.

Most inter county teams are probably carrying too much weight to play like this. People were saying Derrygonnelly were a team of big lumps of men but it never really made a difference today.

Yes, they are all very lean footballers whereas Derrygonnelly had plenty of lads carrying some timber. But yet Derrygonnelly refused to try and physically engage Kilcoo beyond their own 45 for the entire first half. It was madness as it allowed Kilcoo to control possession on the periphery for long spells. They must have had 80-90% possession in the first half which is unheard of in Gaelic football. In contrast to the Munster final which, while error strewn, the crowd in the Athletic Grounds must have been bored stiff.

You would have to think that a bigger pitch might suit Kilcoo even more since it will only help their speed of attacks.

Milltown Row2

Ref'd them in a challenge game couple years ago, I was surprised at how light they were, but I earned my expenses that night, lightning fast and not afraid to mix it either,

Can't see them bate tbh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea