Dissertations

Started by 118cmal, May 13, 2009, 01:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: D4S on May 13, 2009, 03:11:42 PM
.  Have heard other mates talkin about doin dissertations and saying they're maybe 5000-6000 words.  Surely that's just an assignment?! Or am I being just jealous?!

Did one back in 2001 at Chester and it was 6,000 words...nearly feckin killed me. I'm more a 2-3000 word assignment or exam type of fella. Met my tutor once to get the go ahead with my title and never seen him after that. Left it far too late to go near him.

I was supposed to be measuring the physiological adaptationsof the 1st's Footy team to detraining over the xmas period. Of course this didn't happen and ended up testing my 3 fat room mates and making the rest of the results up to suit my agenda.

On another note you think you have finished and then the whole references, page numbers, printing etc takes just as bloody long.

Hated the feckin thing and allow I passed it, it nearly lost me my honours

D4S

Quote from: gawa316 on May 13, 2009, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: D4S on May 13, 2009, 03:11:42 PM
.  Have heard other mates talkin about doin dissertations and saying they're maybe 5000-6000 words.  Surely that's just an assignment?! Or am I being just jealous?!

I was supposed to be measuring the physiological adaptationsof the 1st's Footy team to detraining over the xmas period. Of course this didn't happen and ended up testing my 3 fat room mates and making the rest of the results up to suit my agenda.

Shouldn't even talk titles mine sounded good...but was  just a mask for  60 odd pages of crap!!  It was about Recruitment & Selection in small, medium & large organisations in the fast food industry...load of rubbish!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

AFS

Quote from: Minus15 on May 13, 2009, 03:13:15 PM
my undergrad one was 8000 but the one i have to do for september has to fall between the 15-20 mark

Aye me too. Masters is it? 15-20000 words seems ridiculous for mine though, gonna have to pack it with loads of waffle and shite to get the word count up, which seems a bit pointless :-\

DownFanatic

Mine had a 12,000 word limit.

My title was :
'Loyalist Paramilitaries: Loyal to Ulster or their Wallets? An in-depth analysis of vice, racketeering and criminal activity within the ranks of proscribed Loyalist organisations'

Due to the lack of literature on the subject, I got most of my info from the Sunday World and the Sunday Life. The most intriguing thing to come out of it was that I got to learn more about Johnny Adair's sexual deviancies. Weird boy.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 13, 2009, 06:59:08 PM

My title was :
'Loyalist Paramilitaries: Loyal to Ulster or their Wallets? An in-depth analysis of vice, racketeering and criminal activity within the ranks of proscribed Loyalist organisations'

Due to the lack of literature on the subject, I got most of my info from the Sunday World and the Sunday Life. The most intriguing thing to come out of it was that I got to learn more Johnny Adair's sexual deviancies. Weird boy.
No doubt you would have come across (oops) Sam McCrory one of 'Britains hardest men' apparently, thanks Danny Dyer you knobhead  ::)

DownFanatic

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 13, 2009, 07:01:43 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on May 13, 2009, 06:59:08 PM

My title was :

Due to the lack of literature on the subject, I got most of my info from the Sunday World and the Sunday Life. The most intriguing thing to come out of it was that I got to learn more Johnny Adair's sexual deviancies. Weird boy.
No doubt you would have come across (oops) Sam McCrory one of 'Britains hardest men' apparently, thanks Danny Dyer you knobhead  ::)

;D :D

J70

Don't know what the word count was, but my undergrad thesis came in about 40 pages (of utter tripe, looking back!). Graduate one was close to 400 (and a much more impressive document overall!).