If one was to buy beer in Newry

Started by Dinny Breen, May 12, 2009, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: rage on May 13, 2009, 01:20:01 PM
Tesco offlicence in the 24 Knockbreada branch  is excellent, always great deals on wine and beer, and sure if you're coming as far as Sprucefield whats another few miles/kilometres?

Couldn't be anymore than 25 mins from Newry.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: rage on May 13, 2009, 01:20:01 PM
Tesco offlicence in the 24 Knockbreada branch is excellent, always great deals on wine and beer, and sure if you're coming as far as Sprucefield whats another few miles/kilometres?

Well going by a few of the posters here it be too far  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thewobbler

There really are some mad suggestions in here. Pure mad.

1. Driving beyond Banridge is madness. Yep the traffic in Newry is horrendous, but adding an hour to a journey (Newry - Sprucefield and back) is crazy. That's a lot of sitting in traffic, and it's not as Euro friendly when you get there.
2. There is a Tesco in Banbridge which you can't miss when taking the second junction into the town. This is only 15 minutes from Newry max, is easy to get parked at, and will have the same offers as any other Tesco in NI.
3. Sainsbury and Tesco are good value if you are not fussy. If you are quite happy with the Australian wine of the week, or whatever lager is on offer, or whatever spirit is on offer, then they're your ticket. On the whole Curleys is a better off licence than Sainsbury (better selection, better selection of offers) and doesn't require going into the dreaded Quays complex. Asda kicks all arses, but you've a long way to go to find one after Newry (namely Kilkeel - the best part of an hour's round trip after negotiating Newry's traffic).
4. If you know what you're after, you should give Anjo Wines a phone (http://www.anjowines.com). They're a wholesaler, but are happy to serve to anyone off the street as long as you're buying in some sort of bulk (i.e. beer in packs of 12, not individually, etc). If you phone in advance, they'll have the order ready for you and will pop it into your car/van/truck for you. They're 2 minutes out the Belfast Road from Newry, so you'll not even be across the border for half an hour in total. You can also negotiate a price with these fellas (and tell them wobbler sent you).

DennistheMenace

Banbridge Tescos is your best bet, just watch up for the pointless double ramp when entering and watch out for those nasty children collecting for charity, they'll turn you to stone if you look at them in the eye.

saffron sam2

I would be a fairly regular user of the A1 and it is fair to say that the majority of the bad driving is done by free staters. Having said that, it is also fair to point out that the vast majority of cars I have seen pulled over recently by Ulster's finest (presumably for driving infractions) have been free staters.

When I see a southener pulled over, I slow down, roll down the window, beep the horn and shout "Take it down from the mast". This helps brighten up my day and shortens what is a horribly tedious journey.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

comethekingdom

Quote from: haveaharp on May 13, 2009, 11:13:41 AM
When heading along the motorway between Dublin and Dundalk the amount of southern drivers stuck in the outside lane with no one on their inside, tootling along around 60mph is ridiculous. Learn to drive on a motorway.

The reason southern cars drive at the speed limit in the outside lane is to sicken the arrogant nordies who think its perfectly accecptable to do 90 or 100mph on the M1 and get away with it. Before the motorway opened it was a max 40 or 50mph on the old N1 and you couldn't overtake. Now 90 or 100 isn't fast enough for them ! Hard to bate a bit of civilian policing! ;D

armaghniac

Couldn't be anymore than 25 mins from Newry.

The reason southern cars drive at the speed limit in the outside lane is that they are trying to get to Knockbreda from Newry in 25 mins.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B