Mayo Medical Team should be Sacked

Started by dublin7, January 31, 2016, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I wouldn't be holding rugby up as an example of how to deal with concussions.
We are slowly watching the neurological disintegration of Johnny Sexton, who I am in no doubt will suffer a further concussion in the 6 nations.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2016, 11:57:07 AM
I wouldn't be holding rugby up as an example of how to deal with concussions.
We are slowly watching the neurological disintegration of Johnny Sexton, who I am in no doubt will suffer a further concussion in the 6 nations.

True, but on the counter to that, I saw the Munster team take immaculate care of Felix Jones and others. At least Rugby has the protocol for off field assessments, and I think we need that at least.

Hardy

I don't mean to hold rugby out as an example, just to point out that they have a template we could use or adapt. Of course any protocol is only effective if it's used and its use is effectively policed.

Having said all that and stated that we need to implement a procedure, I heard a journalist (Damien Lawlor?) saying on Sean O'Rourke's show earlier that a protocol for head injuries had been introduced. I think he said before Christmas. He just said it in passing and nothing further was said about it. Does anybody know anything about this?

Jinxy

I thought something was already in place tbh.
However, nobody has said "the protocol wasn't followed", so maybe there is no protocol.

Jinxy

Summary principles of GAA concussion management guidelines:
- Concussion is a brain injury that needs to be taken seriously to protect the long term welfare of all players.
- Any player suspected of having sustained a concussion, should be removed immediately from the field and should not return to play on the same day.
- Where a Team Doctor is present, he must advise the person in charge of the team (i.e. Team Manager) in this regard and the player must not be allowed to continue his participation in the game.
- Concussion is an evolving injury. It is important to monitor the player after the injury for progressive deterioration.
- Concussion diagnosis is a clinical judgement – Use of the SCAT 3 can aid the doctor in his /her diagnosis.
- Players suspected of having a concussion, must have adequate rest of at least 24 hours and then must follow a gradual return to play protocol.
- Players must receive medical clearance (by a doctor) before returning to play.

https://gaelicplayers.com/TabId/86/ArtMID/421/ArticleID/374/Concussion-Management.aspx

Seems pretty clear-cut to me.

highorlow

QuoteWe are slowly watching the neurological disintegration of Johnny Sexton, who I am in no doubt will suffer a further concussion in the 6 nations.

It was only a matter of time before Johnny Sexton came into it. The papers have that incident completely overhyped. This thread is similar. It's very unlikely that Lee Keegan was concussed at all, the blow was to the top of his head. The recent Sexton blow was to his jaw.

Concussion is only likely if you get a clash to the temple area.

Our 2 lads in Limerick should have came back onto the pitch that day, I'm still awaiting the reason for the hold up. 
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

Quote from: highorlow on February 01, 2016, 04:02:40 PM
QuoteWe are slowly watching the neurological disintegration of Johnny Sexton, who I am in no doubt will suffer a further concussion in the 6 nations.

It was only a matter of time before Johnny Sexton came into it. The papers have that incident completely overhyped. This thread is similar. It's very unlikely that Lee Keegan was concussed at all, the blow was to the top of his head. The recent Sexton blow was to his jaw.

Concussion is only likely if you get a clash to the temple area.

Our 2 lads in Limerick should have came back onto the pitch that day, I'm still awaiting the reason for the hold up.

That's just not true. I got concussion from hitting the back of my head off the ground twice, and getting punch in the back of the head a third time. The fourth time was an elbow to the temple area/side of the head.

highorlow

QuoteThat's just not true. I got concussion from hitting the back of my head off the ground twice, and getting punch in the back of the head a third time. The fourth time was an elbow to the temple area/side of the head.

The fourth blow did it.

That was some scrap you were in, what the f**k did you do to your opponent?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

4 separate concussions :)

The worst row I was ever in was in an U21 game. I ended up with two horns on the top of my head, and two bumps on my chin. But no concussion :) You should have seen the other fella though, he was in bits. Nearly broke his knuckles I'd say.

Jinxy

Once you've had a couple of concussions you don't even need the impact to be around the head area to sustain another one.
It's almost like a whiplash effect.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO HIT YOUR HEAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRBlSAfb_k

Mac2

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2016, 04:11:10 PM
4 separate concussions :)

The worst row I was ever in was in an U21 game. I ended up with two horns on the top of my head, and two bumps on my chin. But no concussion :) You should have seen the other fella though, he was in bits. Nearly broke his knuckles I'd say.
You shouldn't be posting any comments so.

AZOffaly

Don't understand that comment Mac? Why not?

Jinxy

To be honest, I'm pretty annoyed at the ham-fisted way the Mayo management team dealt with this, the only saving grace being the statement which acknowledged the mistake.
All the papers today carry images of a clearly distressed Keegan being removed from the field of play 10 minutes after sustaining the initial injury.
This brings the association into disrepute, makes it look amateurish and makes a mockery of player welfare.
The only silver lining here is that hopefully the next time a medical team is faced with this decision,this incident and the subsequent uproar will be at the forefront of their minds.
It shouldn't take that, but if the end result is a player not being put back in harms way, I'll live with it.

Mac2

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2016, 04:36:12 PM
Don't understand that comment Mac? Why not?
Health and safety reasons only..

AZOffaly