Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Manning18 on June 10, 2019, 01:31:43 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-lose-injured-captain-damien-comer-for-connacht-final-929851.html

Comer definitely out, as is Duggan, and disappointingly, Paul Conroy. Molloy in a race to be fit also. If Molloy doesnt make it, would really be surprised not to see Silke back at half back and Kyne in the corner. Depends on Kyne. The other option is start G'OD. Cooke, Kelly both back but hard see either start, especially Kelly with a dodgy hamstring.

I'm struggling to think of any team thats been so injury ridden as Galway in 2019. It's just never ending

What injury did Cooke have? Sean Kelly & Cooke weren't back training last week according to reports.

Manning18

Cooke has generally been listed as foot. Would be surprised if we saw him, that's a long time to be not running coming into Championship

manfromdelmonte

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-lose-injured-captain-damien-comer-for-connacht-final-929851.html

Comer definitely out, as is Duggan, and disappointingly, Paul Conroy. Molloy in a race to be fit also. If Molloy doesnt make it, would really be surprised not to see Silke back at half back and Kyne in the corner. Depends on Kyne. The other option is start G'OD. Cooke, Kelly both back but hard see either start, especially Kelly with a dodgy hamstring.

I'm struggling to think of any team thats been so injury ridden as Galway in 2019. It's just never ending
over training, not enough recovery time? not enough prehab and rehab on injuries?
they are amateur athletes after all who have jobs to go to each day

Manning18

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 10, 2019, 01:43:32 PM

over training, not enough recovery time? not enough prehab and rehab on injuries?
they are amateur athletes after all who have jobs to go to each day

Well Walsh has been in place for 5 years and there's never been cluster injuries before so i'd say it's naive to call it over training or bad rehab rather than just plain bad luck. The one exception was Comer's misdiagnosis. I suppose Corofin players do have to go all year round, another thing for Galway to have to deal with

An Fhairche Abu

Molloy doubtful with an ankle injury as well going by that article, which is unfortunate after he got lucky with the shoulder injury against Sligo, good to hear that a few more might be nearing a return to the squad though.
Galway haven't done back to back Connacht titles since 02-03 which was at the tail end of our last great team, there's a long time passed since then and it's a great opportunity to go back to back and be the first team through to Super 8s this year. I'm wary enough for next Sunday after what happened in 2017 when we were hammered in Salthill, really need a big up-tick in the performance level on the year to date, what's been shown to date won't be good enough in a proper championship battle.

galwayman

Why is Conroy out?
Thought he would be in the subs having come through club championship a few weeks ago.

Rossfan

This thread has turned into a Hospital!!!
Any views on the game itself?
50/50 in my opinion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2019, 04:09:53 PM
50/50 in my opinion.

It won't be a thriller anyhow.

galwayman

50/50 in my opinion.
Hard to call true enough

Farrandeelin

50/50 in my opinion.

I've a feeling Ros will do it. I know you all might think I'm crazy, but beating Mayo would be a psychological boost for them. Willie Hegarty said Ros were spooked by Mayo after a u21 final Ros should've won a few years back. However, Galway won't be as clueless up front. But my gut feeling is Ros will sneak it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 10, 2019, 05:27:54 PM
50/50 in my opinion.

I've a feeling Ros will do it. I know you all might think I'm crazy, but beating Mayo would be a psychological boost for them. Willie Hegarty said Ros were spooked by Mayo after a u21 final Ros should've won a few years back. However, Galway won't be as clueless up front. But my gut feeling is Ros will sneak it.

2016 Connacht U21 final i presume? Certainly a game Roscommon could or should have won. 2013 Connacht U21 final v Galway was similar if i recall right.

Rossfan

One thing is that if we give Galway 32 shots at goal they  won't miss half them like our last opponents.

GalwayBayBoy

"No, it's relentless, it is," Galway manager Kevin Walsh responds has he ever had to deal with injury issues as a manager as much as in 2019.

Galway have been ravaged by ailments throughout the campaign with captain Damien Comer unlikely to feature in Sunday's Connacht SFC Final against Roscommon and the promising Kieran Molloy a severe doubt.

"It's tough to handle," Walsh adds. "It's a heavy workload on backroom teams as well and even County Boards I'm sure. At the end of the year you'll see it'll be heavy on them because you have huge numbers in, trying to balance the whole thing is tough. I suppose the long-term injuries were long-term so at some point we kind of knew there was a time frame on them so we had to deal with it.

"If all that happened to come last month and you hadn't the other guys to come in in the National League, at least we had that warning time to try to develop other players so that's been the plus side. It's been a tough year with injuries, yeah."

Molloy dislocated a shoulder in the provincial semi-final against Sligo, but overcame that issue before suffering an ankle problem at training. "He actually twisted his ankle during the week so it's going to be nip and tuck whether he's ok to play or not, unfortunately," Walsh confirmed.

"The shoulder has been giving him a problem over the years. Long-term he'll have to look after it, but it's one of those injuries that it keeps popping out and it goes back in.

"He had recovered fully so he's under pressure at the minute with the ankle. It only happened last week. He's in a fight against time at the minute. Hopefully. We won't rule him out, but he's under a bit of pressure."

Despite a tough campaign with injuries manager Kevin Walsh believes the Galway panel has become stronger in 2019.

Comer's absence throughout the campaign has been a blow, but Walsh stresses Galway's approach can be altered.

"There are not too many Damien Comer's in the country, to be honest," Walsh remarks. "But, at the same time, it depends on the opposition. If the area is crowded, there is only so much ball that you can kick in that won't be coming back out twice as fast.

"Damien is an option that not too many in the country have. We are missing him at the minute so we just have to work around that."

Following the May 19 triumph over Sligo, Walsh is encouraged that several injured players including Paul Conroy, Declan Kyne, Adrian Varley, Sean Kelly, and Peter Cooke have returned to training.

"We can't complain about the timelines, they were reasonably good this year," Walsh says. "We knew where we were and we knew the timelines with regard to different players getting back, but that opened the door for a lot of different players during the League.

"We are not going to complain about that. One of the things we are trying to do here is to develop the panel so we can sustain those injuries and sustain those people who might be missing for whatever reason.

"That's a long-term goal that comes together for the future, but, sometimes, it is short-term pain for long-term gain. Certainly, some fellas have stepped up which is good and the panel is definitely deeper."

whitey

Rossfan