AFL Season 2014

Started by Aerlik, March 06, 2014, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Well folks,
with one week to go before the start of the 2014 season, I thought it would be appropriate to start this year's AFL season thread.  Last year's thread proved way more popular than I had anticipated and I hope that you enjoyed my take on the games - albeit from a very one-eyed and still bitter about losing the Grand Final to the point I haven't watched the replay yet, nor taken the programme out of its plastic sleeve - Fremantle fan. ;)

This year will probably many of Freo's oldest players' last chance to win a premiership so there's a certain urgency about the season.  But only time will tell.

So, to get the ball rolling, let me know your favourite Aussie Rules team and why.  Collingwood has its Irish history and modern connections, Hawthorn have a strong Irish support in Melbourne, as do Melbourne thanks to Jim Stynes RIP.  Here in the west, I think it is safe to say that Fremantle has the largest Irish support, due in no small part to our history with the port city.

I'm not going to forecast a Premiership winner, suffice to say I hope to fcuk it is not the trash (spit spit) here in Perth.  There!  Did I say I was one-eyed? ;D
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aerlik

HERE WE GO!  C'MAAAAAN FREO

Club Rossa

Have followed Hawthorn for over 30 years now.In that time I've seen them win 7 titles and lose 4 finals.They had a fantastic team in the 80's,appearing in 7 straight grand finals.They had some great battles with Essendon at that time.People over here will remember the Dipper and Platten from the compromise rules teams of that era.

Have high hopes for the season ahead,despite losing Buddy they still have Roughead and Gunston up top who will be a handful for any side.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Aerlik on March 14, 2014, 08:12:03 AM
HERE WE GO!  C'MAAAAAN FREO

All too easy for Freo, have Collingwood ever looked so bad?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Aerlik

TabClear

Quote from: Aerlik on March 14, 2014, 04:44:56 PM
We are content.  ;D

I'm sure you are! ;)

looks like freo will be there or there about this year again. Strange game where the pies had plenty of possession but no penetration. Freo tackling pressure was unreal and Fyfe could be one  of the players of the season. Marty Clarke subbed out in 3rd quarter but to be honest it could have been any of ten players for the pies hooked.

.Freo, Hawks, Sydney and the cats to be the top four and the Suns to be the surprise package.

TabClear

Cats and essendon with impressive wins this weekend. The cats just keep churning them out with Jimmy bartel outstanding. Bombers beat a fancied north Melbourne side well but the match was a sideshow again to the ongoing James Hird saga with his wife getting involved now!

JimStynes

Clarke is a cert to be let go this year!

stephenite

Front row seats for the Bombers game at Dtihad on Friday night, they were pretty impressive I have to say. Hope to get to a few more games this year

lfdown2

Disappointing last quarter by the lions this weekend, expected but still was hoping going in to the last they would keep it close, Hanley was quiet enough.

Aerlik

ROUND ONE (Split Round)

Fremantle 116-46 Collingwood  ;D
When the quarter time hooter sounded, I got up and switched off the TV and left the house.  I was fuming.  Freo played shite but still managed to be in the contest...at least on the scoreboard.  Then what happened was manna from heaven.  Three quarters of great footy with some superb scoring.  And to think that we've still to add players to the panel, well things are off to a good start.  Au contraire, Marty Clarke will not want to remember this game; he was skinned by the Freo midfield and to be honest I will be very, very surprised if he is in the Pies panel any time soon.

Greater Western Sydney 99-67 Sydney
At times last year I berated free-to-air TV for showing utter shite games, usually in the form of Melbourne, due to their one-sidedness.  How I wish this game was on TV, but I listened to it on the wireless in the car and I was roaring on the Giants.  What a simply magnificent win for them.  All the talk was about Buddy Franklin's Sydney debut ($10m over 9 years...not bad for kicking a Sherrin), but nobody remembered to consider the opposition.  And how they finished.  Great result and a massive boost for the Giants, considering Sydney are one of the hot favourites for the Premiership this year.  Arguably one of the biggest upsets in AFL/VFL history.

Gold Coast 87-69 Richmond
The second big result of the weekend and this game was great to watch.  You can't help but like the Suns (I won't be as generous on Saturday when they play Freo in Perth, mind you), and Gary Ablett Jr. just has to be seen to be believed.  He is a class act and I feel privileged to be going to games when he is in his prime.  But others figure too, not least a WA lad called Jaeger O'Meara who is drawing all the right attention.  Richmond were tipped to win this but were woeful in front of goal.

Carlton 87-120 Port Adelaide
I have a soft spot for Port and was pretty damned please to see them win this one.  I didn't see this one but viewed the highlights reel and would love to have been a fly on the wall in the Carlton rooms after the game.  A 33-point margin is more than justified.

Geelong 119-81 Adelaide
The great Jimmy Bartel's 250th. game for the Cats and how he proved that he fully deserved his Brownlow medal.  Just a class act.  I caught the last quarter in which Geelong proved just too strong and skipped away to a comprehensive win.  It's weird not seeing the usual suspects in Geelong colours; on the other hand it is intimidating to think what is being produced at that club.

Essendon 99-60 North Melbourne
Another game where I only caught the last quarter, by which time Essendon were too far ahead.  This could be a long, dull season for the Roos if they repeat this performance.  Essendon legend, Justin Fletcher, broke the club record for no. of games played, 379.  That is some feat.

Hawthorn 139-91 Brisbane.
Only in the last quarter did the Hawks pull away.  Up to that point the Lions had the making of them.  The Lions surprised a few people, not least myself, with their attitude.  The result was never going to be in doubt but the attitude of the lions was great.

St. Kilda 68-51 Melbourne
I watched this game and there is a glimmer of hope for the Demons.  Their kicking was woeful (at best) and I fear that this could be a humiliating season.

West Coast 134-69 Western Bulldogs
Yeah they won and one of their players deliberately trips a Bulldog and escapes punishment.  I was hoping that the Dogs would hang in when all was said and dusted.

So, for the first time in Fremantle's short history, the club sits atop the ladder for the first time in the club's 20-year history.  Happy about that.

Never beat the deeler

Cracking game last night with Richmond beating Carlton by 12 points.

Richmond raced into an early lead and led by 25-odd points in the first quarter. At one stage in the second they led by 37. But recent games between Richmond and Carlton have followed similar patterns with Carlton scraping back and winning - most memorably in the elimination final last year (Richmond led by 26 at HT and lost by 20!)

Sure enough, Carlton came out in the second half and had more than enough possession and territory to win the game but were extremely wasteful on front of goal (sometimes directly in front - Jarrad Waite take a bow).

Half way through the final quarter the game was level and Richmond looked devoid of ideas - the furthest they had been up the field since half way through the third was the centre bounce.

Somehow, though, they rallied and ended up tagging on a couple of goals to win.

Don't follow either team, but the tipping comp at work offering extra incentive to watch
Hasta la victoria siempre

Club Rossa

Great game and win for the Hawks.Essendon were fantastic in the3rd and looked set to take the win but the Hawks hit them late to scrape the win.

JimStynes

Will be interesting to see how hawks go this year without buddy

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: JimStynes on March 29, 2014, 05:44:15 AM
Will be interesting to see how hawks go this year without buddy

Hopefully all the way again this year, they have been impressive.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.