Kilkenny v Tipp

Started by Catscream, August 20, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Catscream on September 30, 2014, 04:26:38 PM
If the great B Kelly is so good at applying the rules why were,

Two fouls outside the box given as penalties  in the first game.
The face mask pull on R Power clearly seen by all not punished .
And if the free given against B Hogan was a foul we would end up with the farcical situation  that has become of football with no flow to any game.

He is anti KK and has been for years,. If Cody doesnt say it as it is then who will. All this anti KK sentiment is the same crap that has been going on for years by counties that are just not good enough. Fair play to the Tipp fans after the game all saying only one team deserved to win while still praising their own as well.

What anti-KK sentiment?????

seafoid

And if the free given against B Hogan was a foul we would end up with the farcical situation  that has become of football with no flow to any game.

He is anti KK and has been for years,. If Cody doesnt say it as it is then who will. All this anti KK sentiment is the same crap that has been going on for years by counties that are just not good enough. Fair play to the Tipp fans after the game all saying only one team deserved to win while still praising their own as well.
The cats in full flow are a joy to watch and the stickwork is exceptional but it doesn't have to be unconditional love. Keher is an arsehole and KK know when to play dirty with the chances it won't be picked up. They will win whatever it takes.

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2014, 08:29:00 PM

The cats in full flow are a joy to watch and the stickwork is exceptional but it doesn't have to be unconditional love. Keher is an arsehole and KK know when to play dirty with the chances it won't be picked up. They will win whatever it takes.

I don't think its even considered dirty, its the marginal stuff that they excel in, the tug on the upper arm, the slap down, some refs blow them up for it (Kelly, McGrath) and some don't (B Gavin).

All teams have players who are also at it, Shane O'Neill (Cork), Paudie Maher, Barrett (tipp) would also be good proponents of it, but Kilkenny are the masters of it, so maybe its time the Clares, Galways, Limericks of the world got cuter at it as well rather than the big obvious flail at someone.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnneycool on October 01, 2014, 09:13:09 AM

I don't think its even considered dirty, its the marginal stuff that they excel in, the tug on the upper arm, the slap down, some refs blow them up for it (Kelly, McGrath) and some don't (B Gavin).

All teams have players who are also at it, Shane O'Neill (Cork), Paudie Maher, Barrett (tipp) would also be good proponents of it, but Kilkenny are the masters of it, so maybe its time the Clares, Galways, Limericks of the world got cuter at it as well rather than the big obvious flail at someone.
It's funny there's a big hoo haa about Cody being out of line in his comments on Barry Kelly as its not the first time he has attacked someone after an all Ireland win
He referred to Ger Loughnane as that lunatic from clare a few years back when Ger came out and said kilkenny played on the edge on the rules front. I wonder will he afford M Kavanagh the same response now- don't think so
I always thought his attack on Loughnane was ironic when he took his template for sucess with the clare team of the nineties ( hard In house training matches in crusheen ) and applied it to his own county which had better resources

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Let's say it's not particularly sporting

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2014, 01:48:36 PM

This isn't cricket.

As Mick Kavanagh pointed out, you play to the referees interpretation of the rules, not how you think the rules are meant to be.

I'm sure if Fergal Moore was to pull the arm of Richie Hogan to prevent him scoring a goal in an AI final and get away with it for Galway to win, you would be overlooking that particular unsporting action.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on October 01, 2014, 02:57:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2014, 01:48:36 PM

This isn't cricket.

As Mick Kavanagh pointed out, you play to the referees interpretation of the rules, not how you think the rules are meant to be.

I'm sure if Fergal Moore was to pull the arm of Richie Hogan to prevent him scoring a goal in an AI final and get away with it for Galway to win, you would be overlooking that particular unsporting action.
I was thinking about that. I'm not sure I would.  I'd hope they'd be far enough ahead for it not to matter  ;)
I think the unsporting stuff does sully the 10 all Irelands actually.

And "the referee's interpretation"- Cody does a lot of passive aggressive stuff towards refs. 
The whole state of refereeing consistency is a massive issue for the GAA. 

johnneycool

what was Vince Lombardi's quote; "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"

AZOffaly

He also said 'Act like you've been here before'.

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on October 01, 2014, 04:31:33 PM
what was Vince Lombardi's quote; "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"

I'm not a fan of this quote or Vince Lombardi quotes in general. Learning to be gracious in defeat is one of the most valuable lessons you can get from sport. I think those Lombardi quotes encourage a lot of the silliness and gimmicks that we see in team management in the GAA these days.

AZOffaly

When you take one in isolation, yes. If you look at his quotes as a whole, they're pretty good. the 'act like you've been there before' quote refers to winning (or scoring) with dignity.

Asal Mor

There are some good ones to be fair. I've just read a lot of GAA biographies in the last few years, and they're all quoting him, like religious people quote the bible.

Asal Mor

I came across this gem on the Tipp hurling forum. It's an old one apparently and may have been posted here before. I believe the original poster was called "Timber". He was a Tipp fan posting before a Tipp v Galway match. Had me in stitches anyway.

"Awful pity the Hill isn't open Sunday, severely decreases the opportunity for a bit of Mattie Baiting. Nothing better than positioning yourself in between a couple of groups of stone wall Matties and having them spitting feathers before a ball is even thrown in. If carried out correctly as per the below guide it should be mission accomplished before throw in, leaving you free to concentrate on the game at hand.

Many theories are held on the ideal positioning to attack your chosen Matties. Personally, I prefer to place myself directly in front of one group and behind another as this gives you the ultimate Mattie Baiting experience while still giving you an easy escape route left and right in case things get messy. It must be remembered that the Mattie is an extremely volatile creature and can flip at the mere mention of words like 89, Denton or Leahy.

So how does one distinguish a stone wall Mattie? Probably the two biggest factors are age and location. Your Mattie must be old enough to clearly remember the 89 affair and still be young enough to maintain a meaningful degree of bitterness. While bitterness is innate in all born within the countys border and has been witnessed in Matties as young as seven and eight, its best stick to the above criteria. You also need a Mattie that lives somewhere between Loughrea and Ballinslaoe. Kilbeacanty, Ahascragh, Killimordaly and Cappatagle are all renowned sources of this most bitter of creatures. At least three of any group should indeed be called Mattie and all should be dressed in their chosen attire of Galway jersey tucked into blue jeans stuck to their arse, complimented by buckled black shoes and a maroon and white headband tied on so tight the top of their head has turned purple. Id be looking for a group in their mid forties, most of whom should look like a cross between Sylvie Linnane and PJ O Connell. Ideally they shouldn't have missed a hurling match of any description since 'that person of a Cortina' let down Mattie Garvey bringing the boys to a league game during the thin freeze of 85.

The baiting should start as soon as you're in. Brag loudly about the bet you placed in Donie Mearas during the week, describing your Tipp -7 as 'money in the bank'. Have a laugh at the lads you saw in there backing Galway, 'one f**king eejit even backed them for the All-Ireland!!' is a popular one, best said with tears in your eyes. Your Matties should have noticed your presence by now, and should start shuffling nervously.

Next you whip out the programme. Again, laughing is key here. Start laughing the minute you open it. Wonder what gobshite they have in the goals this time, and add that they haven't had a decent keeper since Seamus Shinnors. Point out a few more lads, mispronounce their club and mention that they wouldn't make a decent Junior team in Tipp. You might get a bit of lip out them here, ignore it.

The teams should be making their way out by now. The minute you see Joe Canning, its time for a few disparaging remarks about his weight. Matties love Joe Canning. He's the one dying ember of hope they have of rediscovering the glory days, i.e the 13 months between August 1987 and September 1988. 'Jaysus, Curran wont know whether to mark him or calve him'' should do the trick. Wonder is he finished before describing the other five forwards as 'too windy'. Now might be an ideal time to wonder should you have gone for the Tipp -9 altogether.

As indicated at the start, you may well find yourselves in verbal conflict by now. Its vital to stay calm in these situations. Don't hit them, that's what they want you to do. Years of inbreeding and bitterness have ravaged their mental function to the extent that they can be easily outsmarted, even if you have overdone it in Quinns. The interchange wont get any more highbrow than calling ya 'a thick Tipp person' and describing us as 'red rotten usheless'.

Should things get physical or ye need assistance at any time, just roar 'we have a live one'. Myself, Mansfield and a few more expert baiters will be positioned at various points around the ground and will be on hand to diffuse the situation. Don't try do it yourself. Its best done by lads living within five miles of the bridge with at least five years of education in a Galway institution of education (The 5+5 Rule) and who have drank at least 500 pints in Ronnie Curleys.

Good luck and God Speed, and lets at all times remember the mantra of one of our fallen comrades.

As my Granfather, Lord Have Mercy on him, once said 'Show me Galway man, and I'll show ya a person'."

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/kilkenny-have-produced-the-only-meaningful-hurling-revolution-1.1951475?page=2

At around 7pm last Saturday evening, Tipperary manager Eamonn O'Shea gave one of the great Irish sporting valedictories. They should stick it on the Leaving Certificate course but the printed word could never do it justice; you need to hear the words as they were spoken.
He was composed but it was plain that the emotion of the match and the crushing disappointment was still flooding through his veins. He spoke with moving honesty about the team and his players as people, rationalising defeat even as he absorbed its pain and daring to admit the one thing that he couldn't admit during the season: that for him, the game of hurling exists on a slightly higher plane than the mere result.
"I do think that there are more important things and there are men down there who . . . didn't flinch when things didn't go their way and yet the team kept going. That is my understanding of sport. But when Tipp play now, we keep playing until it is no longer possible."

Is the speech anywhere online?

orangeman

They were never going to "do" Cody. Not guilty.