?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on May 17, 2023, 11:48:11 AM
Is anyone else worried about the effect this will have on the team? RG seems much more involved than other managers in the big counties that seem to have massive backroom teams and the manager is nearly just a figurehead. Gallagher seemed to do everything for the past 4 years and this team no nothing else but his style of play so I hope it's not too unsettling. We should have enough quality to win this group but you expect a reaction from Monaghan next Saturday.

Agree with Malachy O'Rourke as the obvious candidate. I wouldn't worry about Donegal, surely any manager would pick Derry over them at the minute.

I have exactly the same thoughts Mario.
Though I see an article about Meenagh today, think it was the Irish News where it seems that the was brought into Derry by McErlain back in Div 4 days to sort out the defensive setup. The article seems to suggest that the defensive structures the Derry team used are of his making.
But I do agree, it seems RG was so close to everything that it's bound to impact everything with him no longer there.

Certainly we didn't play well against Armagh. Unforced mistakes, we didnt push up the way we normally do. I think had RG been there, that wouldn't have happened on the day and we'd have been comfortable enough. It is a good sign though that we can play badly and still win a final.
Time will tell I suppose how much of the relative success in recent years has been dependant on him.

Meenagh could be a revelation - we'll have to wait and see how the year pans out. Certainly for now he's the least disruptive option and I've only ever heard good things about him.
Malachy O'Rourke is probably the only other candidate out there at the minute. I think he'd be keen on Derry as they're almost there, whereas a team like donegal are on the slide.
Will he leave Glen? Who knows, but if did come to Derry he might be able to convince Emmet Bradley back along with a few other Glen players.

jmcgdoire

Its an interesting idea. But if im ORourke im not sure if i would leave Glen.
1. Where does he have a better chance of winning an All Ireland?
2. Can Derry afford to pay him as much as Glen?  ;)

Estimator

Could only purchase General Admission for the Monaghan game in Celtic Park (and for some reason they are more expensive than the Ulster Final)

Now, I can't see any confirmation anywhere from the clubs/county/Ticketmaster, but I'm assuming that this means that it is going to be a free for all like the league games - First come, first served for the covered stand.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

Quote from: Estimator on May 18, 2023, 10:22:32 AM
Could only purchase General Admission for the Monaghan game in Celtic Park (and for some reason they are more expensive than the Ulster Final)

Now, I can't see any confirmation anywhere from the clubs/county/Ticketmaster, but I'm assuming that this means that it is going to be a free for all like the league games - First come, first served for the covered stand.

I was thinking the same. Price is ridiculous tbh. £5 for kids fair enough, but they are going to put a lot of people off attending 3 games at that price.
Especially as these games are going to be almost meaningless for the most part.
Derry v Monaghan has a bit of drama to it I suppose with us already having played, but generally, win one game and you've qualified.
Bit of an OG on pricing I think.

lenny

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 18, 2023, 11:17:51 AM

I was thinking the same. Price is ridiculous tbh. £5 for kids fair enough, but they are going to put a lot of people off attending 3 games at that price.
Derry v Monaghan has a bit of drama to it I suppose with us already having played, but generally, win one game and you've qualified.

Top group and you get a home quarter final and a week off. I don't think any team which doesn't top their group has a realistic chance of winning Sam.

JoG2

They're bogging the arm in price wise for the round 4obin games by about £7 / ticket.

onefineday

Quote from: lenny on May 18, 2023, 11:31:40 AM

Top group and you get a home quarter final and a week off. I don't think any team which doesn't top their group has a realistic chance of winning Sam.
Quarter finals will likely be neutral, apart from one team!

Wildweasel74

They all be in Croke park, After game 2, if we win both, Derry need closely look at the Draw, with Kerry now coming 2nd, Tyrone 3rd, The semi is, Ulster v Leinster ie: Dublin, You want to be trying to avoid one of those other teams, I can't see Derry beat Kerry, and Dublin, to get to a final against Galway.

Derry Optimist

Re Derry v Monaghan game I think that Derry management and team must treat this game with the greatest respect as Monaghan have nothing to lose and will use all types of tactics both fair and off the radar to try and upset Derry's normal pattern of play.
In addition they will probably have McAnespie back and he caused a lot of problems last year.

To answer Wildweasel's query concerning the absence of the name Downey being introduced as a playing substitute it depends which one is he referring to, Shea or Matthew. Shea  was injured at the start of this championship campaign as was Matthew. It would appear to me that by the time they had fully recovered they had lost out in the pecking order to Padraig Cassidy/Benny Heron and Lachlan Murray when it came to bringing on substitutes.

As far as I can gather none of our U20 Senior squad players really distinguished themselves in the Ulster U20 final.

One criticism I have of the present management is that they are very reluctant to bring on  subs at any stage of a game. Let us hope that factor  along  with such a small squad will not come back to haunt us. I would dread a scenario where any one of  Glass, Rogers,McGuigan, McCluskey or Ethan Doherty got injured.

marty34

Quote from: Derry Optimist on May 23, 2023, 11:16:07 PM
Re Derry v Monaghan game I think that Derry management and team must treat this game with the greatest respect as Monaghan have nothing to lose and will use all types of tactics both fair and off the radar to try and upset Derry's normal pattern of play.
In addition they will probably have McAnespie back and he caused a lot of problems last year.

To answer Wildweasel's query concerning the absence of the name Downey being introduced as a playing substitute it depends which one is he referring to, Shea or Matthew. Shea  was injured at the start of this championship campaign as was Matthew. It would appear to me that by the time they had fully recovered they had lost out in the pecking order to Padraig Cassidy/Benny Heron and Lachlan Murray when it came to bringing on substitutes.

As far as I can gather none of our U20 Senior squad players really distinguished themselves in the Ulster U20 final.

One criticism I have of the present management is that they are very reluctant to bring on  subs at any stage of a game. Let us hope that factor  along  with such a small squad will not come back to haunt us. I would dread a scenario where any one of  Glass, Rogers,McGuigan, McCluskey or Ethan Doherty got injured.

They're not sure about the bench. Bringing on lads who were on and came off doesn't inspire confidence.

This coupled with the small numbers used this year would dictate that.

Might work out ok but, as you say, in 3 group games tightly bunched together, you'd hope injuries would be at a minimum.

Time will tell.

restorepride

Injuries have been very well managed so far - Glass and McKaigue since the League Final in particular.  Hopefully having won 2 Ulsters in a row - and don't underestimate that achievement for only the second time ever - will give the players more incentive and positivity.  Thought we didn't match Armagh's hunger in the second half of Ulster Final, do that against Monaghan and we could come up short.  Also, we need more scores from Ethan, Paul Cassidy, Niall Loughlin and Niall Toner on a regular basis.  I know it is very difficult against a packed defence but we can't expect Shane to deliver all the time.  Monaghan will be a good test for the players' desire to push on now having shown great character in extra time in Ulster final.  Doire abú!

JGDoire

Are Derry playing this year? Any thoughts on how things have gone, are going or will go? Derry Bored

InnocentByStander

Derry should feel quite hard done by, Monaghan's last game about a month a go was a loss to Derry so they had a whole month to analysis a loss and then turns out their next game is against that very same team, Monaghan were in a much better position going into this game than Derry.

You guys should be proud to come away with a draw, in the wider scale of things the result probably wont matter both teams will go through.

But as a neutral just thought i should point this out so you guys don't get too doom and gloom

Rawhide

Geoffrey gone from Dungiven, it was kinda inevitable from the start. Brennan gone from us, the game has changed a lot in the past five years. The Derry league almost getting as bad  as the premier league for managers getting sacked 😀 Rory gone.

Any betting on who is next?
cccc is a true supporter lol

jmcgdoire

Quote from: InnocentByStander on June 01, 2023, 11:24:15 AM
Derry should feel quite hard done by, Monaghan's last game about a month a go was a loss to Derry so they had a whole month to analysis a loss and then turns out their next game is against that very same team, Monaghan were in a much better position going into this game than Derry.

You guys should be proud to come away with a draw, in the wider scale of things the result probably wont matter both teams will go through.

But as a neutral just thought i should point this out so you guys don't get too doom and gloom

I agree. Now I was still expecting a win in light of the way we dismissed them previously but I was certainly expecting Monaghan to learn a lot not only about themselves but about Derry. All that matters now is bulldozing through these other two and stepping into an AI QF