Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Interesting report in the Belfast telegraph informing us that Lord (the twat) Laird is writing to the secretary of the Ulster Rugby branch. He is looking answers to a series of questions regarding the absence of british national anthem when the Ireland rugby team played in Belfast.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2950710.ece

He wants equality. He wants recognition of the two traditions. I suppose he wouldn't want to CC the letter to the IFA? Of course not. ****.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

We just got a new dog and he is a rescued animal from a shelter. I didnt know what I was going to call him until I woke up this morning and saw that gillespie had gubbed a team mate after he had cost the north a draw. Since the 6 are a shambles ever since worthington took over what with the in fighting, poor form and sc**bag fans getting arrested I thought it fitting that the new dog be called Nigel. Every time I look at the ugly wee pug bastard I will think of the norths manager and thank God that our wee pug hasnt a care in the world. it's a dogs life! ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Star Spangler on September 13, 2007, 03:44:40 PM
Could you imagine the media frenzy if the likes of this happened with two GAA footballers?  :o

Memories are short! Did Graham Geraghty not box the head of a fellow team mate?

Puckoon

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 13, 2007, 06:55:58 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on September 13, 2007, 03:44:40 PM
Could you imagine the media frenzy if the likes of this happened with two GAA footballers?  :o

Memories are short! Did Graham Geraghty not box the head of a fellow team mate?

Yes, and there was quite a media frenzy!

SammyG

Quote from: Orior on September 13, 2007, 04:30:00 PM
Interesting report in the Belfast telegraph informing us that Lord (the twat) Laird is writing to the secretary of the Ulster Rugby branch. He is looking answers to a series of questions regarding the absence of british national anthem when the Ireland rugby team played in Belfast.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2950710.ece

He wants equality. He wants recognition of the two traditions. I suppose he wouldn't want to CC the letter to the IFA? Of course not. ****.

Ignoring the fact that LL is a bit of a knob, what doe his letter about rugby have to do with the IFA? The IFA don't have anything to do with rugby.

Evil Genius

Quote from: longball on September 13, 2007, 12:13:57 PM
cant believe ive managed to post a united team on this with just 3 NI players and havent got slagged yet!  ;D ;D

Perhaps we're just not into "Fantasy Football"... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Istabraq on September 13, 2007, 11:08:50 AM
If we can have an All Ireland team in Rugby, why can't we have one in soccer? f**k sake, the two are completely shite without the remotest chance of success ever

And how much success has the Ireland rugby team had down the years? On the European stage, they automatically qualify for the Six Nations, yet rarely win it. Not have they completed a Grand Slam in decades (1940-something?).

As for the World Cup (so-called), half the sides who "qualify" are an utter joke - Georgia? Portugal? Namibia?. Rugby Union is the "National Sport" in precisely one country in the entire world, NZ, which has a population of under four million. And in a sport where shock upsets are much rarer than in, say, soccer, there are only 7 or 8 teams (max) with a realistic chance of ever winning the tournament. Yet with Ireland virtually guaranteed qualification, they've still never looked like winning it in the past. Nor will they this time, despite having arguably their best set of players in living memory.

In the end, if even a remote "chance of success" was the criteria for attracting my allegiance, I wouldn't support the Ireland rugby team, the NI soccer team, or an all-Ireland soccer team...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stibhan

Bottom Line: Sanchez was a great manager and a respectable figure for Northern Ireland and probably would have taken care of the two teams Latvia and Iceland relatively easily (even though the 0-3 turnover at home was pretty dire). He knew his team well and knew how to squeeze every ounce of success out of them, and probably would have at least finished 3rd (Spain and Sweden's class would have shone through imo).

An All-Ireland soccer team would clearly benefit everyone involved on the pitch but would lead to some sort of a UVF uprising or something if it ever came to fruition. That is an unfortunate reality on this island and even though I would love to see it as an Irish nationalist and republican I am happy for players like Gibson to choose their team rather than be forced to play for a country whose fans (whether that be a small minority or not) have proven to be anti-catholic/nationalist on a number of occassions. Frankly, the Neil Lennon affair and the "Greysteel" chants of yore proved that it is a massive risk for any Catholic to pull on the green shirt, and that the only way they would be able to play for British-Occupied Ireland would be by keeping their mouth shut and their head down.

Whatever anyone said about the rugby team and their lack of success is bollocks- look at the size of Ireland and compare it to the rest of the countries they are knocking shoulders with at the top. Ireland are giving it a real go with countries who have 9 or 10 times more people than us. We also have some of the most skillful players in the world and that team is one that I am utterly, utterly proud to support even though my allegiances have always been GAA for the most part and soccer for a good deal as well.

stibhan

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 14, 2007, 12:46:43 PM

In the end, if even a remote "chance of success" was the criteria for attracting my allegiance, I wouldn't support the Ireland rugby team, the NI soccer team, or an all-Ireland soccer team...
You're utterly right, who would support a team on the basis of whether they were succesful or not? Personally, I used to go for Northern Ireland slightly because they were my fellow Irishmen and I bore no ill-feeling towards them. Then Neil Lennon got hung out to dry and I was sectarianly abused by a group of your fans.

Funny that some people's criteria seems to be "tradition" and "nationality" at the expense of respect for other people's basic human rights. Mine is mainly dependent on respect for other creeds and a general standard of behaviour that entails a lack of glorifying loyalist terrorists or indeed, no evidence of enjoying threatening captains of a different religious stance than you. I wonder what yours is?

Main Street

The Denmark Spain game will be the one to determine who qualifies in second place, probably will be the game of the group Looks like the odds are on Spain and Sweden to go through.

Ni had their chance against a weakened Iceland team. I donĀ“t know about the subs that Nigel brought on, they all look the same type of player to me, small, run around a lot and give the ball away. After NI equalised, Iceland fought back and gained enough control to neutralise any threat of losing the game. And the earlier entry of (an unfit) Eidur Gudjonsson dropping in that famous hole added a bit of class to the Iceland midfield, I presume thats what Nigel had his thoughts on.
My prediction on the outcome of this game was razor sharp, that NI would be doing well to get a draw. In the last 15 minutes of the game Iceland were the more determined team, they wanted the victory more.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteAnd in a sport where shock upsets are much rarer than in, say, soccer,

Only because it it far easier in football for crap teams to drag good teams down to their level. Stick everyone behind the ball, defend for your lives, bit of luck at the other end and a crap team can beat a good one 1-0. You can't do that in rugby. 

Quotethere are only 7 or 8 teams (max) with a realistic chance of ever winning the tournament.

Is it any different in football? The same teams usually end up winning these tournaments.

Anyway this is all off topic.

Turlough O Carolan

Jaysus those boys quickly went from 'football for all' to punches for all.

SammyG

Any chance a mod could remove the sh1te posted by stibhan? Thanks

wesaysanchez

Quote from: stibhan on September 14, 2007, 12:56:25 PM
Bottom Line: Sanchez was a great manager and a respectable figure for Northern Ireland and probably would have taken care of the two teams Latvia and Iceland relatively easily (even though the 0-3 turnover at home was pretty dire). He knew his team well and knew how to squeeze every ounce of success out of them, and probably would have at least finished 3rd (Spain and Sweden's class would have shone through imo).

couldmnt yhav e sif it betyter myself/