Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p3427977

The ROI will pull their funding now you'd think or drastically reduce it? I'd hope not but can see that happening.

tiempo

Who Sir Roger Casement was won't be lost on the Tories, the last thing they're doing in their death knell is sending tens of millions towards infrastructure with the name of someone executed for high treason, they'd rather Labour do it so they can sit in opposition and call it out

twohands!!!

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 12, 2024, 11:46:36 AMCould jarlath  not  just be putting the pressure on the  Brits here?

As in, they  promised the money would be found , and it's clearly not coming.  And at  the same time , taking the focus away from the GAA having to find  more money .

The thing is there are no Brits to put the pressure on.
The individual politicians who made those promises have left town so those promises are worth nothing.
The civil servants can't do anything without the political sign-off.
The lads who will be arriving in are a completely different set of individuals and by the time they take over they will legitimately and honestly be saying - the lads before us promised you money, on the basis that the stadium would be ready to host games for the Euros - there's no potential for that now so we're going to have to revise the amount we can provide. While Labour are better than the Tories, there's no chance there's going to be a blank cheque/all costs covered to completion promise when the Euros are off the table. They are still likely to contribute a significant amount of money (in the multi millions) but there's a significant difference between being told we'll chip in with £100 million (or something of that ilk) versus we'll pay you whatever it takes to get this project done.

Given the litany of failures/f**k-up and screw-ups in this project since inception is anyone surprised that the people in Ulster GAA got sold down the river by trusing the political promises of the Tories? 

RedHand88

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 12, 2024, 11:46:36 AMCould jarlath  not  just be putting the pressure on the  Brits here?

As in, they  promised the money would be found , and it's clearly not coming.  And at  the same time , taking the focus away from the GAA having to find  more money .

Lol. Straws. Being grasped all over the place.

twohands!!!

Quote from: p3427977 on June 12, 2024, 11:59:12 AMThe ROI will pull their funding now you'd think or drastically reduce it? I'd hope not but can see that happening.

There's no chance they will completely pull their funding but I could see them saying that it will have to be revised down with the Euros off the table. It's one thing putting in €50 million when the total cost was going to be £308 million. If the budget is reduced to £200 million, I can definitely see some civil servant in Dublin going we agreed to pay 1/6 of the cost not a 1/4, especially if the five Euro games are switched to the somewhere outside Ireland.

If as likely there is a delay to this - there might be a new bunch in charge in Dublin by the time funding is required.
If SF do get in power in Dublin (which I wouldn't say is that likely) I just can't see them increasing the £50million figure
Increasing a direct transfer of money to the North would be a very sticky political issue for them in South and the fact that the Euros would be gone from the equation would lead to all the other parties kicking up a fuss about paying more and getting less (with the Euros gone) I can't see it flying politically (really can't see any coalition partners agreeing to it -as it would give so much to the opposition)  I would say it would mean the odds of the €50million being reduced would be somewhat less under SF but I really wouldn't rate their chances of getting power next time around in the Republic that likely.

johnnycool

twohands!!!

Quote from: tiempo on June 12, 2024, 12:04:27 PMWho Sir Roger Casement was won't be lost on the Tories, the last thing they're doing in their death knell is sending tens of millions towards infrastructure with the name of someone executed for high treason, they'd rather Labour do it so they can sit in opposition and call it out

I would be surprised if a significant percentage of the Tories would actually have any idea who Casement was.
Quote from: johnnycool on June 12, 2024, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: giveherlong on June 12, 2024, 11:31:44 AMThe Ulster Council seemed sure of the money a few weeks ago?! What has happened?

https://x.com/mcgeehanstephen/status/1794269504782110948?s=46&t=CPMqYDyBX5OxJavXiPzZVQ

Rishi called a General Election and got CHH off the hook

clonadmad

Quote from: p3427977 on June 12, 2024, 11:59:12 AMThe ROI will pull their funding now you'd think or drastically reduce it? I'd hope not but can see that happening.

The Irish Government and by extent the Irish Taxpayer should pull the money that was being offered based on Casement getting Euro games

And offer Pairc Ui Chaoimh as an alternative venue,put the money in there

2 venues for the Euros in Ireland still

Fully modern stadium in Cork for the next 50 years

The Irish economy benefits while those that blocked and hampered Casement look on

5times5times

Just pull the plug and build a smaller casement. Simple. We don't need another white elephant, ie PUC

naka

Quote from: clonadmad on June 12, 2024, 12:35:08 PM

The Irish Government and by extent the Irish Taxpayer should pull the money that was being offered based on Casement getting Euro games

And offer Pairc Ui Chaoimh as an alternative venue,put the money in there

2 venues for the Euros in Ireland still

Fully modern stadium in Cork for the next 50 years

The Irish economy benefits while those that blocked and hampered Casement look on

As a northerner I genuinely think the southern government should throw the money at clones or Armagh to upgrade them.
It's stays  in Ulster and it's  an FU to the blockers and begrudgers.
Small 15000 for antrim would more than suit their needs

[

Armagh18

Armaghs stadium is new enough and can't see it being upgraded any time soon. Clones needs money spent on it regardless of Casement but Belfast deserves a proper stadium.

Be brilliant obviously to get the euros but if not we need it sorted asap.

weareros

Unionism played so dirty on this one. Future funding for Casement was suddenly responsible for the dire state of the health service and not the 100 years of Unionist/British misrule. Casement won't be funded and the health service will still be on its feet. I hope FAI insist that Ireland get one of the two automatic spots for Euro 28 (even if we are shite). Let GB decide how they want to allocate the other spot. That will soften their cough. Irish government/GAA should continue to fund a great stadium in Belfast. Decisions should not be made because crowds overall are down this year. It won't always be like that.

AustinPowers

Quote from: weareros on June 12, 2024, 01:07:17 PMUnionism played so dirty on this one. Future funding for Casement was suddenly responsible for the dire state of the health service and not the 100 years of Unionist/British misrule. Casement won't be funded and the health service will still be on its feet. I hope FAI insist that Ireland get one of the two automatic spots for Euro 28 (even if we are shite). Let GB decide how they want to allocate the other spot. That will soften their cough. Irish government/GAA should continue to fund a great stadium in Belfast. Decisions should not be made because crowds overall are down this year. It won't always be like that.

Won't it?

The way things are going , with  the championship structures, and  the inevitable devaluing of the provincial  (well, Ulster) championship, I'd imagine crowds  will go down  even more in the years ahead.

I think this  delay in Casement being built might be a blessing in disguise for  the GAA.  As 5times5times (so good they named him twice) said above , we don't need another white elephant

LC

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 12, 2024, 01:35:05 PM
Quote from: weareros on June 12, 2024, 01:07:17 PMUnionism played so dirty on this one. Future funding for Casement was suddenly responsible for the dire state of the health service and not the 100 years of Unionist/British misrule. Casement won't be funded and the health service will still be on its feet. I hope FAI insist that Ireland get one of the two automatic spots for Euro 28 (even if we are shite). Let GB decide how they want to allocate the other spot. That will soften their cough. Irish government/GAA should continue to fund a great stadium in Belfast. Decisions should not be made because crowds overall are down this year. It won't always be like that.

Won't it?

The way things are going , with  the championship structures, and  the inevitable devaluing of the provincial  (well, Ulster) championship, I'd imagine crowds  will go down  even more in the years ahead.

I think this  delay in Casement being built might be a blessing in disguise for  the GAA.  As 5times5times (so good they named him twice) said above , we don't need another white elephant

+1

Sportacus

We don't need to look any further than ourselves.

Ill conceived.
Completely mishandled.
Totally oversold.
Embarrassing levels of political naivety.

Ulster GAA and the local politicians have nothing to show for it only a string of embarrassing photoshoots and a load of big talk that "it will be built", which they could never back up. A holy show.

Sooner it's given back to Antrim GAA the better so they can try to build an atmospheric stadium to meet their needs.  They would've been locked out most days of the year otherwise.