Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on October 22, 2018, 04:00:04 PM
Judging by some of the language as reported to be used over the weekend, the Tories are really falling apart. Surely a Labour / SNP coalition could seize power and change the whole s**tshow.
The Tories were the vehicle Thatcher used to introduce neoliberalism to the UK.
Lovely to see the party tear itself apart because of the ERG which is ever more Thatcherite than she was
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: mouview on October 22, 2018, 04:00:04 PM
Surely a Labour / SNP coalition could seize power and change the whole s**tshow.

All the (English) parties are afraid that committing to a referendum on the deal is electoral suicide.

They are completely oblivious to the notion that not asking for the electorate to vote on the actual deal is akin to saying that it is entirely rational and sensible to have walked into a car dealer at original referendum time and when asking the dealer what he had for sale, he replied, "I'll sell you a car. Now, I don't know how much it will cost, what it will look like, how many people it will carry, how nice it is drive or what its like on the fuel, but just sign the dotted line here and that's you legally committed to paying me whatever it costs."

Complete utter madness.

edit: By all the English parties, I really mean the big two. I think the rest (aside the UKIP) are for a re-run of the referendum.

edit2: I say the above as someone who very much disagreed with the re-run of Lisbon treaty referendum - because nothing substantially changed. Here - it is worlds apart.

i usse an speelchekor

Orior

We're heading towards a hard border. It's what the DUP always wanted, yet they will claim they didn't.

Could Dodds and company have been that clever?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

Quote from: Orior on October 22, 2018, 09:10:33 PM
We're heading towards a hard border. It's what the DUP always wanted, yet they will claim they didn't.

Or that stupid. Hard border hastens the end of their precious union and we get our whole country back

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: red hander on October 22, 2018, 09:32:15 PM

Or that stupid. Hard border hastens the end of their precious union and we get our whole country back

Yep - utterly stupid (considering their motivations).

They could have secured their North for potentially hundreds of years by getting the 'best of both worlds' deal. Easy access to Europe and easy access to UK (and beyond).

It'd have been the gateway to the EU for the wider world.

Most here would have benefited economically from it and the swing voters (I reckon there would be a surprisingly large amount put importance of food on the table ahead of a flag) would never have went for a united Ireland in a border poll.

Now? Hard border and economic ruin could easily lead to many undecided looking enviously down south and thinking "I'd like some of that please".
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Why would they want a hard border ?

In other news , the EU is going to drop Summer Time and the UK probably won't so NI could be in a different time zone to Donegal (apart obviously from 1641 vs 2018)
It's going to be tough because with the EU different to the UK , NI will either be out of line with England or with Mexico.
This will be another form of drag on an already severely weakened economy.

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on October 23, 2018, 08:39:18 AM

In other news , the EU is going to drop Summer Time and the UK probably won't so NI could be in a different time zone to Donegal (apart obviously from 1641 vs 2018)
It's going to be tough because with the EU different to the UK , NI will either be out of line with England or with Mexico.

To drive a wedge between them and the Republic and bring them closer to the UK again!

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2018, 09:06:29 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 23, 2018, 08:39:18 AM

To drive a wedge between them and the Republic and bring them closer to the UK again!
With half of the population kicking with the wrong foot?
And the downside of no deal with regions getting hammered while London creams it ? 

imtommygunn

Itis hatred - pure and simple. There is no rationale behind it.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2018, 09:42:25 AM
Itis hatred - pure and simple. There is no rationale behind it.
It looks like it, all right. They are not interested in standards of living at all. Weird
No wonder so many Protestants never go back after university in Scotland or England.

Hereiam

There will be a no deal and the brits and the EU will blabber on for years about what to do with the border, meanwhile we will all get on with lives as usual giving out about the situation but never doing anything about it.

Applesisapples

The one point this whole Brexit thing has reinforced for me, is how even when they are in a minority unionism and the British State continues to diminish the Irish identity of 45% of NI. And worse still we let it.

Rossfan

Ye're main political party seems to have lost its voice altogether!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 23, 2018, 10:32:26 AM
The one point this whole Brexit thing has reinforced for me, is how even when they are in a minority unionism and the British State continues to diminish the Irish identity of 45% of NI. And worse still we let it.

Well, if the Shinners would bother their hole to go to Westminster and take the position of "we'll vote the opposite of whatever the DUP votes to (mostly) nullify their veto", then maybe things could inch forward.
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 23, 2018, 11:19:32 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 23, 2018, 10:32:26 AM

Well, if the Shinners would bother their hole to go to Westminster and take the position of "we'll vote the opposite of whatever the DUP votes to (mostly) nullify their veto", then maybe things could inch forward.

No, I don' think so. It would give the Telegraph an opportunity to rant and call on people to oppose the Shinners.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B