Laochra Gael 6/3/06 - Mickey Kearins

Started by Owenmoresider, March 05, 2007, 02:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

This week's edition gives us the story of one of, if not the greatest Sligo footballer, Mickey Kearins. Had known this was been done, but had forgotten until I seen the ad at the weekend. Should be interesting for us Sligonians anyway, don't really get to see any footage of that era, barring the 'Golden Years' clips. :-[ Played for the county from 1962 to 1978, was top scorer in the country in 1968 (and other years too?), All-Star in 1971, and regular on the Connacht Railway Cup team for well over a decade. Holds the record individual score in a Connacht final, 0-13 in the drawn 1971 final. Won five senior titles with St. Patrick's also.

turk

Excellent! looking forward to this.

Mickey Kearns would be without doubt Sligo's greatest!

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Gnevin

Thanks 10+ years of Irish and cant understand simple stuff like that , some system ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

I saw the Maestro on Saturday night and fit and well he is looking. I regret very much that I never got to see him playing but am looking forward to this programme. What time is it at?

Owenmoresider

SLIGONIAN

Thanks owenmoresider. Will be brilliant like magpie seanie never had the privilege to see him, but my Dad did many times and played with the maestro in trials and training for the county.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Canalman

Did Dublin no favours as a ref in 1989 AISF versus Cork.Presume he is one and the same man.

magpie seanie

QuoteDid Dublin no favours as a ref in 1989 AISF versus Cork.Presume he is one and the same man.

Was he supposed to? Allegedly he got instructions to do so (told to even the numbers up in second half) but refereed it fairly and never got a big game again. Of course that would never happen, my mistake.

realredhandfan

Onlooker

Mickey Kearins really was a brilliant footballer and younger people, especially those from Sligo are in for a real treat if they watch this programme.

The Bottom Brick

A bit off topic here, but whats the highest score you've ever heard of any individual getting in a match? i heard something about Kearns scoring 18 points or something ridiculous...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!